Samba add-on changed /config to /homeassistant

In short, people who have experienced this specific “issue”, does seems to have supervisor .dev installed 2023.11.2
And maybe people who currently have supervisor 2023.11.0 and updated to Samba 11.0.0, will have to update Samba again, unless it will be solved with other “symlinks” , i hope they remove the symlink my /config … having a symlink in i.e /homeassistant pointing to itself doesn’t feel right ( homeassistant → /homeassistant ) as of now , after i Updated Samba to 11.0.0

12.11.2023_11.23.07_REC

I guess Samba Dev’s just tried to “be ahead” :slight_smile: … shit happens

Look here please and wait:

2 Likes

Samba 12 release notes mentions that this is temporary until 11.2 supervisor is rolled out. I have 11.2 and samba 11 fails for me. 12 works with no issue.

Is supervisor 11.2 rolled out and stable? No. So stop worrying about the beta version and wait until it’s officially released.

Sorry but on my system, there is no way to know if supervisor is beta or released. My about shows 11.2. How can I tell if it is beta, dev or released if the version doesn’t show it? I.e core and os does.

Are we seriously going to have this conversation again? The answer is exactly the same the last time we had this conversation on discord which sparked your FR for having beta in the supervisor name.

View beta versions here → https://github.com/home-assistant/version/blob/11c87980f0237425fd26be84955baae59a79ffaf/beta.json
view stable versions here → https://github.com/home-assistant/version/blob/11c87980f0237425fd26be84955baae59a79ffaf/stable.json

1 Like

I have HAOS, samba addon. No beta channel(s). I have the issue that /config is not there anymore and changed to /homeassistant. This is a breaking change for me since I (also) backup config files that way.

I am up to date to all “latest” (again I run HAOS).

Do I understand correctly this is going to be changed back again to /config? Or is this there to stay and should I change scprits?

It’s getting reverted. Don’t do anything

I believe we should. Supervisor updates automatically (unless blocked by a user configuration). Why is it unreasonable for a user to be able to see on their system that they have a beta supervisor installed? What will supervisor 11.2 beta 2 be called?

And by the way I know of no other software that uses the same numbering for released vs beta, vs alpha, etc. Most developers that I have worked with always track software versions carefully.

1 Like

So after upgrading to Samba 11.0.0 I have spent an hour or so changing all my windows paths for VS Code editor and other code editors as well as stored workspaces, I now find I have to change them all back after Samba 12.0.0 !!

Not impressed.

If you use pins for your network path instead of mapped network drives, you won’t have this problem ever. I’ve fully switched and never run into network mapping issues on windows anymore. The 10 → 11 → 12 caused me to update 1 pin twice and open/close vscode project twice. Nothing else.

1 Like

Fair point. But I don’t use mapped drives. I use network shares - that is what samba is for isn’t it?

Yes, but then you shouldn’t be spending hours updating anything… So I guess I’m interested in what you spent all that time doing?

1 Like

13.11.2023_15.58.09_REC
This is howto do it in i.e windows, i have short-cuts on my desktop … To the Share-Point, and they “updated” nicely, as it’s the Sharepoint

This. Read and understand before random updates.

It was identified quickly and the warnings went out within hours. To not do anything.

Personally I don’t think end usera should have had to do anything (and in fact mine - I use direct path in file manager or the run box - which exhibited as a jacked up workspace in VSCode and a copy of notepad++ that couldn’t get anything went away the moment the revised samba addon. Was shipped without any intervention except update samba.)

The moral of the story is the issue was identified and warned and corrected quickly - before randomly adjusting to what comes down the pipe read and ask before intervention.

1 Like

in the same vein, if your hostname for home assisstant is homeassistant then you can just type \\homeassistant in your browser and pin that. Boom done. Then when opening your vscode folder, use that pin.

1 Like

Yes, i would have to type less then, 2 of my HA-instance have 5-6 letters name, but i use IP-number in my network, to avoid netbios, and the “hard to troubleshoot issues” that comes with it

“”"NetBIOS may still be in use when it is combined with the TCP/IP protocol suite on enterprise networks. This combination is referred to as NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NBT). NetBIOS for Microsoft operating systems is only supported on IP version 4 networks and is not compatible with the newer IP version 6 protocol stack.

What is the difference between NetBIOS and DNS?

EDIT: upps missed this part
“”"
NetBIOS provides two communication modes: session or datagram. Session mode enables two computers to establish a connection for a conversation, enables larger messages to be handled, and provides error detection and recovery. Datagram mode is connectionless, so each message is sent independently, messages must be smaller, and the application is responsible for error detection and recovery. Datagram mode also supports the broadcast of a message to every computer on the LAN.
“”"

Both NetBIOS and the domain name system (DNS) use naming processes that map physical or logical computer addresses to names that are easier for humans to work with. In the case of DNS, a computer or device’s IP address is mapped to a unique domain name such as techtarget.com. From a NetBIOS over TCP/IP perspective, the IP address is mapped to a human-friendly NetBIOS name that uses up to 16 alphanumeric characters. However, note that Microsoft’s implementation of NetBIOS reserves one of those 16 characters to define specific NetBIOS functions. Thus, Microsoft NBT uses names up to 15 alphanumeric characters long.

The other major difference between DNS and NetBIOS is that DNS uses a hierarchical naming structure while the NetBIOS structure is flat. With DNS, a “.” designates the hierarchy within the system. For example: test1.techtarget.com and test2.techtarget.com both live within the “.com” top-level domain and “.techtarget” second-level domain. This enables improved efficiencies within the mapping structure itself.

NetBIOS, on the other hand, does not use a hierarchical or nested structure. Instead, all devices on a corporate LAN reside inside a single, flat structure. This makes NetBIOS far less scalable as the number of devices increases when compared to DNS.

Finally, DNS has become far more popular compared to NetBIOS. DNS is used on virtually all corporate networks and across the internet, while NetBIOS is now only used for legacy application use cases.
“”"

Fyi: instead of defaulting to IP (totally valid) you can disable netbios over tcp using dhcp option 1 if you don’t need it.

1 Like

Yes, i noticed lately you also are “Microsoft Man” :slight_smile: , metoo

However

[MS-CIFS]: NetBIOS-Based Transports | Microsoft Learn.

NCSC: Internet Accessible NetBIOS Name Services.

So i stick to IP, and have often wondered if some of peoples peculiar “resolve issue” is infact doo to people using Netbios, AND DNS communication, in an uncontrolled/unaware/mixed way,

i sure hope HA uses my devices IP, for direct communication, and not the devices-netbios-names

1 Like

If your on win 10 or better they’re getting better about not using it. They’re finally planning on killing wins in an upcoming version of Windows server if you can believe it.

Ive disabled netbios on all of my segments by dhcp for many years now. If everyone is win 8or better it works fine except in rare circumstance.

Also I’ve taught network admins for years. ALL problems are Name Resolution issues until proven otherwise. Yes unexpected netbios use accounts for a lot of issue on Microsoft networks because people don’t understand the three or four ways windows resolves addresses. DNS is now the primary in MOST cases but when mDNS or single name addressing gets involved things get weird. (im pretty convinced most mdns issues I see where people can’t connect to http://homeassistant:(port) on windows networks is bad netbios resolution.)

1 Like