Scenes not properly saving color state

Sometime last night my scenes all stopped working correctly. I didn’t make any updates at this time, so not sure why it suddenly changed.

The issue is that my Scenes no longer correctly apply color. Activating a scene will update the brightness of the bulbs, but the color will remain whatever the lights are currently on. The color does not seem to be properly saved. Here is a quick video demonstrating the issue.

More info: I’m on the latest HAOS 2024.7.3 version. I have Philips Hue bulbs integrated via a Hue Bridge through the official Philips Hue integration.

Here’s what I see in scenes.yaml

- id: '1700846239887'
  name: Master Bedroom Daylight Scene
  entities:
    light.master_bedroom_ceiling:
      min_color_temp_kelvin: 2000
      max_color_temp_kelvin: 6535
      min_mireds: 153
      max_mireds: 500
      effect_list:
      - None
      - candle
      - fire
      - glisten
      - opal
      - prism
      - sparkle
      - sunrise
      - unknown
      supported_color_modes:
      - color_temp
      - xy
      effect: None
      color_mode: color_temp
      brightness: 255
      color_temp_kelvin: 2732
      color_temp: 366
      hs_color:
      rgb_color:
      xy_color:
      entity_id:
      - light.master_bedroom_1
      - light.master_bedroom_2
      - light.master_bedroom_3
      - light.master_bedroom_4
      icon: mdi:ceiling-fan-light
      friendly_name: Master Bedroom Ceiling Lights
      supported_features: 44
      state: 'on'
2 Likes

Exact same here. The lights change color when adjusted manually so it must be something specific to the way scenes work. Latest hue bridge firmware 1.65.1965111030 was July 18 so I don’t think that triggered it.

1 Like

Looks like there’s an issue opened on GitHub here:

The workaround is to edit scenes.yaml to remove the line:

However, any time you make an edit, the line will reappear.

Just adding another person to the mix in this. I am also having the same issue but only with Certain Hue products.

Don’t have my FIDO key nearby to add a comment on github.

Interesting - I couldn’t find this post earlier so I posted:

I believe it’s the same issue as what’s addressed here.

Hmm, I went ahead and tried the workaround listed (all in one shot, see below) and the effect: None lines were successfully removed, but it didn’t change any of the behavior for me unfortunately.

Using the terminal:

cd config
cp scenes.yaml scenes.yaml.backup
sed -e s/"effect: None"//g -i scenes.yaml
grep "effect: None" scenes.yaml
1 Like

Can confirm that manually removing

from scenes.yaml and then reloading the scenes through Developer Tools works, provided I don’t edit a scene.

This is not a great workaround for people who didn’t install Studio Code.

It doesn’t seem like this bug is a big deal to most people - are people just not using scenes much?

Just curious. It’s such a big bug for me that I’m spending a big part of my time converting (rewriting) my scenes into scripts that set the RGB + brightness values for my lamps, and then updating the automations that call these scripts instead of activating scenes.

Works great, is reliable, but is a bit unfortunate since I have to manually copy RGB values from either the developer’s console after activating a scene, or from the scenes.yaml file itself.

Thinking about writing a python parser to convert the scenes into script automagically but not quite sure yet.

Can also confirm that finding all effect: None elements in scenes.yaml and replacing with an empty string fixed the scenes not changing my bulbs’ colours.
I was able to use the File Editor addon rather than opening in Studio Code as well. Simple enough fix, but finding this thread wasn’t easy.

In the github thread it seems like hue bridge update caused it. I think that’s true, because my HA version is still 2024.3 and i haven’t updated anything manually. The issue is that my scenes are dynamic and created on the fly and i didn’t find any information how to unset the “effects” with such method. I guess i’ll have to monitor what’s the solution with the hue hub will be…

I have this issue too. I’m all up-to-date. I’ll have to try editing this effect thing mentioned. I’m also using a hue bridge though as someone else mentioned. I didn’t think it was because of that though as the colours actually recorded in my scenes seem to get changed as well.

I tried the effects: none removal workaround, and it didn’t work.

I save the scene with all the light colors, then open scenes.yaml with the File Editor, and replace all instances of “effects: none” with a blank line.

Go back to the scenes window, and activate a different scene, and then activate the scene I had just saved, and none of the colors are set correctly.

Maybe I’m not doing it right?

You may need to restart home assistant after editing the scenes.yaml. It seemed to not work for me sometimes if I didn’t restart. Just double check scenes.yaml after restarting that the changes were saved.

Also, keep in mind that anytime you edit the scene in the UI, it will automatically re-add the effects: None line and you’ll have to remove it again. So avoid using the scenes editor after applying the fix.

Revisiting this thread out of curiosity - doesn’t this seem like a bug? Does anyone know how to report it so the devs know about it?

I myself moved away from scenes to only scripts and it’s working great for me. I don’t anticipate the scripting engine breaking anytime soon so I think I’ll be OK with doing things this way.

It’s been reported as a bug, but I haven’t seen a response by the devs so far.

I’m having this exact same problem as well

Adding one more to the mix. I also added a comment on github. I’ll attempt removing the effect line now.

I’m having the same issue. I’m creating a scene within an automation, to restore the light setting before the automation was applied. It doesn’t work whatever I tried, just as you described here. One thing is, that the brightness seems to be adjusted but nothing more, the color is not changing. Can Home Assistant developers do anything?

I am experiencing the same with a meross light strip. does not save settings. I am just trying to create a simple on scene and off scene. No dice.

new to home assistant. wishing I hadn’t left HomeKit now! I thought this was meant to be an upgrade.

Please fix soon, HomeAssistant gurus.

If you use the file editor in home assistant. Just search for any “effect:” instances. Delete the whole line, save and restart home assistant. I think you can just remove the “None” part from what people have said but I just deleted the whole line.

I’m not sure if here is something wrong with the search though in file editor as I did this once but somehow a few effects ended up back in there. Had to do it again. Although, I expect I did something wrong.