Schlage Connect ZWave Locks

I just installed (physically) a schlage connect z-wave lock. I haven’t done anything from the z-wave side with it yet.

Do I have to follow all of these steps in @mkzimmspost (excluding the removing node part) , or can I simply put the schlage into pairing mode and then use “add node secure” button on the Z-wave tab of home assistant?

Running Home Assistant 0.50.2.

Thank you!

Edit: Dangit! I missed the instructions about network keys in this post. Looks like I’ll be doing the forget node / factory reset rigmarole tomorrow.

After a bit of agony, my lock is working fully in home assistant!

The mistake I made was not setting my network key before calling “add node secure.” By doing that, I ended up in a similar state to other folks wherein I could kinda see the lock, but not all of the sensors and couldn’t control it. Thanks to the fact that I’m using a “newer” version of Home Assistant (e.g. 0.50) I was able to just use the z-wave manager on the front end to remove/add the lock.

What I was able to do to fix it was:

• Add my network keys as described in this post, which I was able to find thanks to step 1 in @mkzimmspost.
  • Call “Remove Node” on the frontend and put the lock into the pairing routine to remove it (bolt extended, schlage button, six digit programming code, then 0)
  • Verified that the node was removed, I probably rebooted my pi a few times throughout this process
  • Factory reset the lock, just to be sure, it’s quick and easy
  • Called “Add Node Secure” on the frontend, and then put the lock into pairing/inclusion mode as described above.
  • Waited a bit, saw that I had a new entity called something like lock.unlocked
  • Rebooted my pi, and the lock was there and fully working in home assistant! No messing with open z-wave control panel!

Thank you to all of the users that helped me piece this together. If I had been a little more cautious, I think the entirety of my process would have just been adding the network keys, putting the lock into pairing mode, and pressing “add node secure” on the front end.

I thought that I would have to fiddle with open z-wave control panel as I had originally installed z-wave separately from HASS, but I guess the hard work the devs have done means that that’s not the case anymore. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I get a Kwikset Lock,and is trying to make it work with HA.

At first, I did not set the security key when add node. After that, I can see 3 entities of the lock, 1 lock and 2 sensors. I tried calling services “Lock/Unlock/”, but nothing happened on the lock. Also I tried get_usercode, I got no response from the lock. Also from the log, I can see a lot of message drop.

Then from the forum, people said that I should enable the security key in the option.xml. So I uncommented the option of security key in the file “option.xml” that is in the same folder as the configuration.yaml. Then I removed the Lock and Add it again. This time, I did not see the message drop anymore in the log. Also I find I can call the service lock.get_usercode to get user codes from the lock.

But still, I can’t call the service “lock.lock” or “lock.unlock” to lock/unlock the Lock from the HA GUI. After I issue the command, I can see the Lock/Unlock command is sent to the Lock, but still nothings happens on the LOCK.

Another problem is I can’t see LOCK widgets on the GUI after adding the nodes. Shouldn’t it be created on the GUI automatically after added?

Just like some of you mentioned. I removed the node, and add again, then lock and unlock can work now.

I am seeing only two of these 7 sensors, namely alarm_level and alarm_type - any idea how to look for or force hass to generate the remaining missing 5 sensors?

1 Like

My question regarding the issue with lock.clear_usercode not working for others is does the workaround of setting the usercode to 0000 cause the lock to allow entry with the usercode 0000? I wouldn’t want to change it to such an easy code even though no one necessarily knows it. Or does it disallow entry?

I have to use that workaround to clear codes on my schlage connect. It does clear the code- 0000 does not become a valid code.

@Dolores thanks for the feedback, that is great to hear! I will try it out.

I can’t get this to work. When I use lock.clear_usercode it doesn’t work at all, and when I set the usercode to 0000 I actually can enter the door using 0000 as a code which is definitely not what I want.

I keep getting “invalid json” when I use your code in the Services section. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

I looks like the forum software converted the quotes to unicode quotes. Replace with regular quotes and see if that works for you.

That worked! Thanks!

does anyone know how to change the name from lock.locked to something else? Maybe lock.front_door for example.

Change the name in the entity_registry.yaml file.

lock.front_door:
  platform: zwave
  unique_id: 19-72057594362494976

Has any one gotten the reporting of the user code used to unlock the door working. I really need to be able to trigger automation based on the user code that was used to unlock the door. The lock that I am trying to accomplish this with is a Schlage Z-Wave Home Keypad Lever FE599NX

1 Like

@Matthew_Noecker

I’ve never had any luck with the FE599NX (Lever) reporting anything on it’s own (yes, it was added as a secure node and I do indeed have a network key set). I poll it every minute to make sure I catch it if it’s unlocked with the button at the door. Locking and unlocking works fine within home-assistant though. I’ve watched the z-wave logs and all I ever see are actions initiated by home-assistant.

I’ve been using it for over a year now and it works fine for locking/unlocking but I’ve never been able to use the added functionality.

I had it included on my ISY994i/zw for a short period and it did report user codes with the ISY but it never has while included with home-assistant and my the Aeotec Z-Stick dongle.

Also, I can set user codes via home-assistant but I’ve never been able to clear them using any of the methods in this thread.

At this point I’ve conceded that the fe599 lever is just a bit of a different beast and I’m just glad I can use the basic functionality of the device.

You need to get your device added to Open Zwave so you can use the rest of the functionality. If you pull in those config changes you will be able to use your lock the way it is meant ot be used. Without support from open zwave all you will get is lock/unlock functionality.

@tobas
You need to add your controller (node 1) to the the 2nd association group on the lock. In the Z-Wave settings for that node, it’s under “Node group associations.” Add your Z-Stick/controller to group 2 as the “node to control” and remove it from the 1st group. You should then get real-time status updates.

Note: I believe this is fairly specific to the FE599 and BE369 locks from Schlage, others shouldn’t require this.

4 Likes

No idea how you figured out that whole 2nd association thing @david202 but thanks for posting about it. I have the FE599 and always wondered why it reported things pretty well under Vera and so crummy under HA. I was able to add my Z-stick to group 2, but have been unable to remove it from Group 1. Even with restarts, etc. The good news is that instant update of lock status seems to be working fine even with the Z-stick in both groups. I’m using hassio so I only have the Z-wave management within that.

I used to have alarm_type and alarm_level sensors for this lock which I hid in HA because they were fairly useless, I removed the hiding customizations but they seem to be gone for good. I was hoping to see if I could get any new info out of the lock (like which code unlocked it) but alas the only improvement I’ve seen so far is instant update when the lock or unlock button (on the inside of the door) are pressed. Still nothing when a code is used on the outside of the door to momentarily unlock.

@david202, You’re awesome! Adding the controller to group 2 was downright magical as it reports status instantly now so I was able to remove the polling! I haven’t dug into the Alarm Type, Alarm Level reports yet but it’s at least reporting something for those values now.

Thank you so much!