💡 Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time - Light Control - Device Tracker - Night Lights

I recently upgraded the blueprint and am seeing an odd error. I did just try to delete the respective automations, delete then re-add the blueprint, and add back one automation.

error:
Error rendering variables: UndefinedError: ‘dict object’ has no attribute ‘entity_id’
(Source: components/automation/init.py:608)

YAML:
alias: Motion - Closet Mommy
description: “”
use_blueprint:
path: Blackshome/sensor-light.yaml
input:
motion_trigger:
- binary_sensor.lumi_lumi_motion_ac02_iaszone_5
light_switch:
device_id: b81a458eeafb2b29e1e02a4aab11ae66

@hassuser99

In “Lights - Switches - Scenes” you can’t use areas or devices. You will need to expand down to entities.

Please see “The Settings & Best Practice Guidelines” Click Here as it will guide you on “How To” :wink:

Blacky :smiley:

@dimatx

Thanks for your suggestion “More Than One By-pass”. I will add it to the list.

For now you could and “entities” card to your dashboard with a top toggle and name. This will turn ON and OFF any entities in the card. You could have one for downstairs, guest, upstairs, all light automations, all automations. It will be easy to manage then. :wink:

You could also use areas but name them how you like example area name “Light Automations Downstairs - By-pass” Then put all your by-passes in that area and you can turn on and off areas in automations.

@Blacky

Thanks, everything is working again. I am not sure what version I upgraded from, but I changed all the previously working ones from “device” to “entity” and everything is working as expected again.

This is my go-to blueprint by far!

My next attempt will be trying to use a humidity sensor (set as a binary sensor helper) to leverage as my “bypass” device. (Am not asking for assistance, as I prefer to tinker and figure it out on my own first). But too often my wife yells at me when she’s in the shower and the lights go off on her. :slight_smile:

Thanks again! And another ask to add to your list
 Would be great to be able to use a template value for brighness + color. This would make this blueprint work better with ‘Adaptive Lighting’ integration on HACS.

@hassuser99

Love it :hearts:

If you are not sure what version you came from if it is not to much trouble I would recommend a clean install of your automations. This way it will clean up any existing YAML configerations that may cause problems.

In the FAQ under " UPDATES OF BLUEPRINT" it will list all the things that were needed to be done. But again if it has been a wile sometimes it is easer to just redo the automations :wink:

Yes this can be done, but I respect you would like to tinker and try and work it out. In any case if you run into troubles just post a message and I will be happy to help. There is one thing I will say, if you haven’t checked out my :shower: Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan then it is realy worth a look. There are 2 blueprints I realy like, this one and the Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan blueprint. I think they are a must have, and spoiler alert I am working on the Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan blueprint now.

No problems :+1:

I don’t use Adaptive Lighting, but I know a lot of company’s are including it, like Apple, Philips, etc. I think they do all the hard work and all you need to do is to turn the light ON and it will adjust as required. Maybe I should look into it further to get a better understanding.

:+1:. You’re correct about how adaptive lighting works. The reason being able to use a template in your blueprint for brightness/color etc, is that currently, the light will turn on with defaults and then adaptive lighting will adjust it. That adjustment is noticeable. If I can use the adaptive lighting desired brightness, color etc, then your blueprint can turn it with the desired parameters and avoid the immediate adjustment by Adaptive Lighting.

@dimatx

This looks like it may be an “adaptive lighting” or the lights your using bug, issue or setting. When you don’t choose any lighting control options in this blueprint, the light will just simply turn ON with no lighting data input :wink:.

Not sure of the lights your using or if there is a setting in “adaptive lighting” but maybe there is a setting that is “Restore previous light setting when turned OFF” that you can untick. A lot of lighting controls sometimes have an option like this. This way the light will get new data every time the light tuns ON :thinking:. Maybe have a look around for this.

Hope this helps

Hey Blacky. The behavior you’re describing is exactly the current behavior. However, it’s not the desired behavior :blush: When the blueprint turns on the lights it has two options (no lighting data input or static lighting data input). (Excluding the night mode). However, the desired result is to turn lights on with dynamic lighting data provided by another entity. For example, at 5pm, the temp may be 3000K, at 6pm it may be 2900K and at 7pm it may be 2800K. So the desired result is for the blueprint to be able to pass in a variable value for lighting data. Does that make sense?

I use Blacky’s blueprint and the same HACS adaptive lighting. It works just fine for me, except that the adaptive lighting settings kick in about 1 second after the lights turn on. So if it’s late at night, for example, lights will come on full brightness then a second later adaptive lighting kicks in and changes the color and brightness. Not completely seamless, but it hasn’t bothered me.

Yes, agreed, they are compatible. I use both as well, but I’m of the mindset that adaptive brightness is great not just for adjusting over time but making it so seamless that you don’t really notice the lights adjusting in the first place.

have you tried making the transition time 1 seconds or 1.5 seconds ?, might help reduce to time it is at full brightness, just a thought ???

That’s a great idea. Although my LED bulbs aren’t as good as Hue, so their minimum dim level is not all that dim, compared to Hue.

is anyone able to show best practice for use of “Adaptive Lighting”. I meant to ask the question a few days ago, and feel it would be good to see how people have set it up. Screen shots: ok.

@dimatx @DuckDuck25 @andyblac @GeorgeCastanza

Hi all, I thought I would respond to all of you in the one post as it is on the same topic :smiley:.

I did see your post a few day ago asking the same question but because I dont use it and it is about “Adaptive Lighting” and not this blueprint it would be best asked in “Adaptive Lighting” forum or create another topic on how do I use “Adaptive Lighting”.

If you are asking how to use it in this blueprint then we will go through it below but I could be wrong as I don’t use it.

I agree 100%. This is why I was leaning you to have a look around in your light or the “Adaptive Lighting” settings as there may be something. :wink:

Depending on your selection in lighting control. It will either pass light data to a light entity or not. If nothing is selected then no light data will be passed, if you select something then that data will be passed. This is for normal light and night lights as you have “Use The Light Control Options” and “Night Lights - Use The Light Control Options”.

Adaptive Lighting

Because I dont use “Adaptive Lighting”, I may be wrong (wont be the first time nor the last) but this is how I read the “Adaptive Lighting” documentation. :crossed_fingers:

Once you have installed “Adaptive Lighting” in HACS you then have to create an instance for every light or light group you would like Adaptive Lighting for.

To do this you will need to go into device & services / add integration / search for “Adaptive Lighting” / then enter in a name you would like for this instance ( example: “Kitchen Lights”) / submit & finish. You will then have an “Adaptive Lighting” instance called “Kitchen Lights” :partying_face:. If you would then like another instance you would just do it again
 it could be for “Family Room Light” etc.

In each instance you create it will have 4 entities that you can use in this automation. The entities are “switch” domain not a “light” domain so everything we talk about 'light" domains above will do nothing as in this blueprint the domains are separated and you will never send data to a “switch”, so effectively you could use separate light entities with light control and control the lights and then enter the “Adaptive Lighting” instance switch entity, and have “Adaptive Lighting” control the lights enter in that instance. But if you do this you can’t use the same light entity in the automation and in the “Adaptive Lighting” instance.

The 4 switches that each “Adaptive Lighting” instance creates are;

• Switch for brightness
  • Switch colour – colour temp
  • Switch for sleep mode
  • Switch for adaptive lighting - (This switch entity is the one I think you would use in this automation if not then you may have to use the switch for brightness and or switch for colour. Maybe the sleep mode could be use in night lights but not 100% sure. This could be a switch to enable (turn ON) / disable (turn OFF) the “Adaptive Lighting” instance)

In the instance “Kitchen Lights” there is a configure selection. If you click on it, this is where you select what light entity you would like to use in the instance and all the settings you would like to use. This is then applied to the 4 switches “Adaptive Lighting” instance creates.

Once you have set all this up you will then enter the switch “Adaptive Lighting” instance creates something like Adaptive Lighting ??? in our case “Adaptive Lighting Kitchen Lights” into “Lights - Switches - Scenes” and or “Night Lights”. But read above as the switch entities could be “Switch for Brightness” if you would like to use brightness and or “Switch for colour” if you would like to control colour. The switch for adaptive lighting could be a switch to enable (turn ON) / disable (turn OFF) the “Adaptive Lighting” instance. You will just have to try it and see by turning them ON and OFF. You may need to add 2 or 3 switches depending on what you would like to control (brightness / colour / sleep mode).

NOTE: I could be 100% wrong about all the above “Adaptive Lighting” as again I don’t use it. This is just my understanding of what I have read.

If I am correct then adding a “Adaptive Lighting” switch entity into this blueprint will not control anything about the light entity you selected in the instance. It will just simply turn the switch entity ON and OFF. The brightness, temp, and colour will all be done through “Adaptive Lighting” not this blueprint. :crossed_fingers:

Again maybe I am 100% wrong.

Good input yes your correct.

Please note this is not the blueprint, it will have to do with your lights or what your using to connect it into HA.

Example: At night in my automation I have 5 lights come ON when someone goes to the bathroom.

• 1 in the toilet
  • 3 in the hall
  • 1 in the bathroom.

The bathroom is an LED strip controlled by ESP32 & WLED. The other lights are controlled via Shelly dimmers. When a motion sensor is triggered the bathroom lights come on first (ESP32 LED’s) then followed by the other lights in about 1 second after the ESP32 LED Strip. The blueprint automation turned all of them on at the same exact time but the Shelly is slower to react than the ESP32. So you can see it is not the blueprint nor does the blueprint turn it ON at 100% then 5% it just sends light data at 5%. What you are probably seeing is within what you are using. Maybe have a look around in the settings of your lights. If you can set the default to 10% that way it will always run smoothly to the eyes.

Below is a Shelly setting. I don’t use it but you can see not all lights are equal. The Shelly dimmers just uses the setting it was on when it was turned OFF as the default for then next time it is turned ON. So the first one for the night you have bright 100% then the automation setting 5% and you can see this, but then every time after that it just goes to 5%. So it is within the Shelly dimmer not the blueprint. I am good with that.

Thanks Andy :+1:. If I am correct about “Adaptive Lighting” :crossed_fingers:, adding switch domain to the automation then having a transition time will do nothing as this data only gets passed to a light domain.

Conclusion

I hope I am not sending you all down the wrong path an I probably should of kept my thought to myself. Maybe one day I should install “Adaptive Lighting”. Most of my light just come on at night and I am happy with the light control options.

1 Like

Hey there! I am in awe of the constant improvements to this blueprint, thank you so much for your efforts!

A bit of behaviour I’ve noticed that I wonder if there’s a workaround: I have a milimeter wave sensor in our open living room controlling the zigbee group of all the lights in there. I’m using v4.2 of the blueprint, and I also added the lux sensitivity option so the lights don’t turn on if it’s really bright already.

However as the room is very often occupied, what often happens is if when someone enters the room when it’s really bright, the automation will trigger then exit due to the lux level check without turning on the lights.

But from that point on, unless the motion sensor state becomes unoccupied (which sometimes won’t be be for hours as it’s a large open living space), the automation will never trigger again even if the light level falls below the preset point.

Is there a way to get the blueprint to behave differently and always trigger if the lux level falls below the preset level if the room is still occupied?

@edmooredop

No problem, your welcome.

I had another user just experience this. What they did was to update to V4.4 I think with a clean install and recreated the automation again and this fixed the problem. I should work in V4.2 so you could try to just delete that automation and recreate it.

If you would like me to look at your automation then could you please provide us your YAML of the automation? This YAML code are the settings you have selected in the automation so I can help. To do this go into your automation, top right 3 dots, Edit in YAML, copy all the code, come back to the forum and in your reply at the top tool bar click on “</>” and paste code in there.

What the automation should do when Ambient is enabled.

If the Lux is below your setting when the trigger is triggered it will turn the lights ON. If the Lux is above your setting when the trigger is triggered it will not turn the lights ON. This is with any setting when enabled.

If you setting is as shown below then if the trigger is ON (occupied) and the LUX is above your setting then the lights will not come ON. If the trigger stays ON (occupied) and the LUX crosses over from above your setting to below your setting then the lights will come ON. If the trigger stays ON (occupied) and the LUX crosses over from below your setting to above your setting then the lights will go OFF.

If you setting is as shown below then if the trigger is ON (occupied) and the LUX is above your setting then the lights will not come ON. If the trigger stays ON (occupied) and the LUX crosses over from above your setting to below your setting then the lights will come ON. If the trigger stays ON (occupied) and the LUX crosses over from below your setting to above your setting then the lights will stay ON. When your lights turn OFF the LUX value will be considered again.

Hope this helps, please let us know how you go.

The date format is DD/MM/YY

sorry ??, it was posted on the 5th Aug 23, but stated 6-Aug-23, hence my sarcastic comment :smiley: