Shelly EM Unavailable

Same problem here! All of my 11 shelly 2.5 are added through the integration page, but keep losing connection every few minutes. Because of this my automations are unreliable, because half of the time the shelly’s are unreachable in HA. I am on version 0.117.4, so what’s the solution…

You can follow this issue here:

It seems that it may be better with 0.118. If you don’t want to wait you can install the update as a custom component (all instructions in the GitHub link)

I’m on 0.118 beta for a few days. Problem seems better now but has not fully disappeared unfortunately.
18 occurencies in the last 14 hours, wich is better than the hundreds on 0.117 but still no full fix.

Question out of curiosity: why so many of you opt for dependancy on an integration which is by many means suboptimal comparing to using mqtt?
With Mqttt reliability as well as feature set doesn’t change from version to version.

2 Likes

Also mqtt pushes changes instantly where as the integration is polled on a fixed interval. Seems like there really is no reason to use the integration.

Good question.

Downside of MQTT is that you lose cloud functionality on Shelly and thereby also all iOS integrations of Shelly like Widgets & Actions.
I was on MQTT previously and the HA iOS app is far from perfect, especially regarding Actions. Take a look here: Configuring Actions without icon

I wanted to give the standard integration a go so I could fully use the Cloud & Shelly App, but didn’t realise the HA Integration was this bad :slight_smile:

Thanx for the answer.
I was never considering use of shelly cloud since HA through NabuCasa gives the same.
Also HA integrates with HomeKit and HA app provides some widgets (I’m not using them so don’t know limitations)
But I understand it you might have different needs.

You aren’t right. Integration in HA 0.118 listen to CoAP multicast and not polling the devices.

1 Like

Integration from dev repository requires HA 0.118 so if you install it as a custom component on HA 0.117 it will not work.

This means that you have problem with multicast in your network. Try to enable IGMP snooping for your 2,4 GHz WiFi network on your router/AP.

1 Like

Glad to hear it. However 0.118 has not been released from beta yet so it’s still polling.

Hi All I had the same problem on 117 now on118 with no problems

1 Like

Hi all,

I have a similar problem. I don’t have the HA integration for the Shelly EM activated. I use mqtt sensors. But some times it seems that shelly don’t send the information to HA, I can connect by ip to the shelly, and its working well and I can see in real time the energy, but the information don’t arrive to HA. I need to reboot the shelly EM and then, all is working again. But, the problem is that I lost all the information for the utility meter sensors all the time that shelly dont’ send the information, and then, I need to reset all the utility meter sensors and is not easy to do…

More people have this problem?, how is possible to solve?.

Thanks,

Jose

3 Likes

Yes, HA integration for my Shelly 3EM now and then stops sending data, sensors become unavailable. Then they reappear again sometimes, and sometimes I have to restart HA.

I’d advise you all to skip the Shelly integration and use its native MQTT communication instead. This is 100% reliable. The only downside is you lose access to the cloud.

1 Like

I’ll definitely consider that, do you recommend mqtt over a rest sensor?

I use both. As the total kWh meter was not available via MQTT in earlier firmware. It is now, but I haven’t bothered changing over.

I recommend MQTT over rest as rest is on a fixed polling interval where as MQTT will update on changes (or delta% changes at least).

1 Like

Maybe MQTT is a better solution because this is occurring every once and a while…

2021-06-20 19:41:30 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.shelly] Timeout fetching shellyem3-E8DB84D68C0C data

Notice:

For anyone who has a problem that Shelly is unavailable back and forth via Shelly integration or Shelly For HACS, it is worth checking that under " ADVANCED - DEVELOPER SETTINGS" that “Enable CoIoT” is check and configured properly!

It helped me with my connections unstability. Now everything runs smooth as silk :ok_hand:

Use your HA as IP:address and port 5683 under “Enable CoIoT”.

3 Likes

Yeah ColoT works fine for some devices but sadly with Shelly Plus H&T example doesn’t support ColoT, at least yet. Probably need to set up MQTT for it as it’s unavailable most of the time.

Edit: For Shelly Plus H&T configure websocket