Skip/Hide Updates

I would love to be able to see a skip all/hide all updates in bulk. Any new update or reboot shows that updates are available for the base system, add-ons, esphome, etc. I typically only have about 8 when updates become available, but I can only imagine if I had 20 ESPHome devices and additional add-ons. Understanding that these are updates that improve the usability and functions of HomeAssistant, it’s rather annoying to have to constantly be reminded.

I would like to hide those in bulk instead of having to click each individual option and skip the update, close out the pop up, and then hide the next update.

Anyone else make sure that their messages/inbox bubbles are at 0? :smiley:

I have about 20 esp’s - it’s why I stopped updating esphome addon on a monthly basis, now only update if/when there is a new feature I want - It’s annoying as hell :slight_smile: - attempts have been made to get this sorted but clearly this is not a priority to solve… see below

Constant updates, skip option - ESPHome - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Be able to turn off, ESPhome devices showing in update tracker · Issue #2141 · esphome/feature-requests · GitHub

I feel you guys, it’s really annoying. But in all honesty, in my case it works. I’m so p****, that I normally do the update right away. :rofl:

But after an update a while ago, at least the “update all” is working as expected. It doesn’t stop on the first failure anymore, and that makes it practical to work with. Hit the button and just let it run. It tells you in the end, where failures were, and the rest runs very smoothly without interaction. The only downisde for me is, that not all my lights go back on after the update. :slight_smile:

Btw. you should vote for your own FR. :laughing:

I have 42 ESPHome devices, which is why I disabled the update entities for all of them.

I don’t need notifications for every single one. I know when the ESPHome addon updates and if I want a new feature I’ll update them all from the addon web interface. Otherwise they stay on whatever version is working now.

Addons don’t bother me as much. I just update them when notified.

1 Like

Now that I’ve had a sleep, I think I’d be asking for an ignore all button, or an option to multi select and then ignore.

1 Like

This would be a band-aid to a problem recently introduced as a “feature”. I don’t need to be told twice that my ESPHome devices have updates available.

As this is configurable (default on) you could just disable the function in the esphome add-on configuration :point_down:

1 Like

I don’t see this option in my ESPHome Add-on configuration.

Did you try to “Show unused optional configuration options”? :thinking:

This is mine.

esp

So you had success disabling it? Congrats - you should now receive no more update notifications for esphome nodes in HA :raised_hands:

Alternatively it’s also possible to only disable the update notifications for particular nodes by disabling the corresponding _firmware entity.

It has been off for months. That is why it was behind " Show unused optional configuration options"- it was already turned off. I.E. Unused.

@stevemann Why don’t you do what @tom_l does? Disable the update entity for that ESP device. :slight_smile:

Because I have 64 devices and you have to disable the update one-at-a-time. Then a few days later a new ESPHome update is released and I have to do it all over again.

If you disable the a update.esphomename_firmware it will stay disable and not enable itself after a update :bulb:

You don’t have by chance any other esphome (dashboard) add-ons running (like beta, dev, `libretiny, etc.)? I disabled this :point_down:

The moment the update notifications for esphome nodes in HA was introduce (back in february 2023?) and never got any notifications since then :man_shrugging:

In case you don’t have other esphome add-ons running you might wanna try enable that configuration so can disable it again or otherwise try uninstalling the esphome dashboard completly and install it again to see if it makes a difference :crossed_fingers:

No. :slight_smile:

What you’re talking about: ignore the update for each device after an update from ESPHome Add-on in the system settings of HA. Aka “ignore” or “update”.
What I’m talking about: the sensor for the firmware in the ESPHome integration in HA, where you can disable the “Firmware” entity.

No sensor => no update warning :wink:

@orange-assistant
I’m cautious right now, after the disaster with the deafult values, but I can say exactly the same as @stevemann, sorry. I never had this configuration enabled, and I do get the update notifications. From my understanding, this setting does disable the automatic discovery of ESPHome devices in HA. That seems to be correct, as my devices won’t get discovered by HA, unless I add them manually (IP address).

@orange-assistant, I really do appreciate your assistance in the past months, maybe years. I know that a response from you will be factual and usually helpful.

But on this issue, you seem to be over-sensitive, and miss the big picture.

I prefer to keep everything on my system up-to-date. This is why permanently hiding updates is not an option. I usually update core and OS within a day or two of their release. I keep most of my ESPHome devices up-to-date, but manually. Why manual only? Of my 65 devices, invariably one or two of them will not update completely and leave the device bricked, requiring a UART re-flash. And, of course, it only happens with the most inaccessible devices.

You had said:

1. I didn’t see the “how to” in the threads, and
  2. Does this hide the updates in the ESPHome dashboard (the blue line)?

To reiterate- I like the update system before this “feature” was added to Home Assistant. I know there’s updates available from the blue lines on the ESPHome dashboard. I know there will be device updates available if I update the ESPHome add-on. I do not need to be hammered with 65 ESPHome device updates in Home Assistant. THIS is all I want to stop- the individual device updates available in Home Assistant. It is redundant information.

I have the “old” behavior (esphome dashboard not talking to HA causing update notifications) by having the configuration disabled which introduced this feature :point_down:

To my knowledge (and mileage) this disables communication of the esphome dashboard add-on with HA.

Referring to that sentence here :point_down:

No, that isn’t even user configurable afaik.

HOW? That is not a switch.

I had this on when it was introduced and got rid of the (new) notifications after I disabled it. :x:

No, it got nothing to to with the esphome integration in HA which works completely independent from the esphome dashboard add on (which can connect via the esphome dashboard integration to HA). :bulb:

So in case you don’t have any :point_down:

you could try enabling the setting and save it. Restart the esphome dashboard add on just do disable it again. :arrows_counterclockwise:

In my case all my _firmware esphome entities are unavailable (always, also when I add new nodes and I never disabled any entity manually). And the only option I made (shortly after this new notifications were introduced) was to disable the mentioned config in the dashboard add-on since then I have total silence :hear_no_evil:

1 Like