Skybell HD Component

It’s working again as of 0.113.3 after deleting the pickle file and restarting. See Lost all Skybell components after a reboot for more

Have you been able someone figure out how to improve PUSH button notification speed into HA?

When I push SKYBELL HD it takes several minutes to trigger automation and obviously the person who rang is gone.

Yes, the polling rate is pretty awful. The only method I’ve seen requires running Simple-Skybell-Sniffer on a ddwrt capable router. From the project:

The service runs on your raspberry pi or other linux server and opens up an ssh session to your router where it runs a tcpdump command on your router which listens for the skybell button push. Once the Service detects the button push it runs a custom command

I’ve been on the lookout for a replacement that has an rtsp feed, IR light, ir sensor, LED, and push button. It would been to be shaped like a doorbell and be outdoor rated. 24V AC would be a bonus so I don’t have to run any new wiring but I could live with PoE. This really seems like an ESP32-Cam would be a great fit but it’s pretty far down the project list and I like the look of the Skybell (maybe I’ll reuse the enclosure).

@Vendo_Novak - I tried the sniffer code but found a reliable solution in using Tasker+SkybellApp to trigger sensors in HA via Rest. This requires an Android device or Android emulator though. Button/Motion alerts were immediate.

@jshank - I really disliked not being able to stream the front door video in HA, so I replaced it with an Amcrest AD110 doorbell that supports RTSP nicely. Can even record to my NVR as well as the local SD-Card. Cloud subscription not required. It has an IR light/PIR sensor, as well as a blue LED light around the button that can be controlled on/off, but not color change.

The existing HA Amcrest camera integration supports RTSP streaming, snapshot or video recording and motion detection. it does not yet support doorbell button press alerts but that nut is being cracked now in the python-amcrest forum. The ffmpeg integration can also be used along with Tasker+SmartHome for immediate alerts. Blue Iris supports it as well.

1 Like

Gary, I would like to give it a try. I have Fire Tablet with Androind which I use today on a wall as HA Dashboard so it could work.

Could you please break down the setup in few simple steps for me? It could help other as well.

Tasker+SkybellApp to trigger sensors in HA via Rest

thank you very much

PS: especially how you setup the REST with HA.

Hi Vendo, Please take a look at my detailed post for a different doorbell. The steps would be almost identical. Amcrest video doorbell AD110 initial impressions

The main thing you would need to change is the text string for Tasker to act on for phone/tablet notifications. For the SkyBell, use “*visitor*” (including asterisks) for doorbell press, and “Motion*” for motion alerts.

The instructions refer to a separate thread detailing Tasker initial setup which includes a template that takes care of the REST API connection for you. As an alternative to this template, there is also a free Tasker Home Assistant plugin that essentially does the same thing. You just need to create an authentication token and fill in the fields.

1 Like

thank you very much Gary, will jump on it when I`m done with zoom(s) today

last question: do you recommend ditching Skybell for AD110?

The two biggest issues I had with the Skybell were really slow notifications from their cloud and no way to view live video in HA. The Tasker workaround solved the former issue nicely for me, but you will need a new smart doorbell that supports Onvif and/or RTSP to solve the latter if that is really important to you.

The Amcrest doorbell has had its share of major problems, most related to its app’s dependence on the cloud, even for local connectivity. Fortunately its RTSP support doesn’t require the cloud. That is its best feature for local HA (or NVR) connectivity.

The Skybell has an HA integration tailor made for it (albeit via a reverse engineered API). The “generic” HA Amcrest or FFMPEG integration supports the AD110 via the legacy API for the most part, but not entirely. Recent API changes are not documented. There are currently no doorbell push sensors for example, so either the same Tasker workaround can be used as a trigger, or one of the recently developed scripts that you can find on python-amcrest issues tracker.

I recommend that you review both the Amcrest Support forum and HA AD110 thread to decide.

I’ve used Skybell for about a year, and ditched it for the AD110. Mostly because the Skybell HA integration/API, became unstable.

I’m working through the AD110 doorbell push sensor issue, but not worried about it. Many of the API calls I use for my other Amcrest cameras work with the doorbell.

Not having to send all my data to the cloud, then pull it back, is a huge advantage.

Gary

IT WORKS!

I was able to follow your instructions and install input booleans which turn ON and OFF after button press and after motion.

For Trigger
In terms of your giude for Trigger, there is one small change which was required , the “visitor” string has to be in TEXT field not in Title, Title is used on Android for device name, in my case “Front Door” after that it worked:
*You first need to set up a Tasker profile to react to SmartHome App alert notifications. From the Tasker profile tab main menu, tap + to select Event , then UI , then Notification . Tap Owner Application and select Amcrest SmartHome . Then in the Text field, enter Someone . This will trigger when the doorbell button is pressed and the notification says “ Someone is at your ”.

For Action
The Tasker is not an easy app and requires a learning curve for sure. Learned that there are 3 ways ( probably more ) how to call service “input_boolean.turn_on”

1. use step 1-4 in this guide: ⚙️ Using Tasker with Home Assistant (V2). Pay attention to JSON syntax, ( there is a space after and before {} )
    In this step you do not modify actial service " HA call-service " but creating Action called Task -Perform Task where you cuse HA Call Service + HA service name and device ID. It takes some time to get it and there are easier ways.

2. Use HA plugin, in this case when you create Trigger above use new Task where for action you pick plugin from HA.

3. Use HomHabit plugin. Because I use Fire Tablet for ( link here https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/dk524c/homehabit_dashboard_on_my_wall_using_fire_hd8/ ) I`m using HomeHabit Android App as the Dashboard UI for HA and HomeHabit has its own plugin. Because HomeHabit was already setup on my tablet it was primitively easy select input boolean and tell it to turn ON.

thank you again Gary, it was a good learning for me.

Regarding Skybell HD, it is clear that this HW is Abandon-ware with no support and with crazy cloud scripting. BTW I`m using Comcast as ISP and they have cap 1TB per month. Couple months ago I had reached this cap and after loong and painfull investigation I found that it was SKybell + Skybell HA integration which was creating constant 2Mbit stream 24/7.

Now when the instant trigger works and I no longer need HA Integration and Skybell is on its own dedicated ( street wifi ) network. I can wait with replacement for some time.

2 Likes

just a comment, the TASKER method is not deprecated.
HA native Android app has a new sensor call Last.Notification which could be used as a trigger

- platform: state
    entity_id: sensor.firedashboard_last_notification
    to: 'Motion has been detected.'

Anyone know why the front door camera image isn’t showing up half of the time?

Unrelated… You should remove the address from the photo, just a suggestion.

I’ve been holding on to my Skybell as long as I can. The motion sensor on the doorbell has been bad for years, missing half of my package deliveries. I got around this by using my own motion sensor and IFTTT to trigger recording events on the SkyBell. But IFTTT stopped working with SkyBell quite a long time ago, and I’m assuming SkyBell has disabled the integration.

Is there any way to trigger a recording through the SkyBell API? Manually viewing the live feed triggers a recording. Would it be possible to trigger a 30sec on demand stream through the API?

If there was a way to trigger recordings through the API it surely would have been included in the integration. A workaround is to use Tasker to trigger upon push notifications (motion or button) received from Skybell. That’s what I did for a while until replacing it with an AD110 and later AD410 which works far better standalone and with HASS (using Amcrest or Dahua integrations).

I understand that Home Assistant Companion can trigger on notifications now too, but I’ve not used it.

Thank you, how were you using Tasker to trigger the recording? Did you have it on your phone, set to open an on demand stream? Watching the live view is the only way I can find to trigger a recording without IFTTT.

I was looking at the AD410 as a possible replacement, it looks like the best HA friendly doorbell cam out there right now. I wanted to try to squeeze out some more time with my SkyBell before buying again. I’m still holding out hope the company fixes their integration with IFTTT.

Just review the post from Vendo_Novak in this thread who followed my instructions for setting up Tasker in a different thread.

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. Since your Skybell is missing notifications now, how will Tasker that triggers on (missed) notifications help?

The AD410, with its human detection feature, greater resolution, live RTSP views in HASS and ability to trigger on motion/doorbell press events and record locally… need I say more?

EDIT: To add a bit more clarity on what Tasker is doing - it’s an Android app that costs a few bucks that runs in the background to perform just about any action you want on your phone. It can parse push notifications for specific text in the message then use the HASS Rest API to create triggers. As I mentioned, I believe Home Assistant Companion can do the same.

1 Like

Home Assistant is never updated when I press the door bell button

It always stay off and my automation are never triggered

Skybell is terrible, having all sort of issues both with video and binary sensors, and the company seem to be abandoning its products

I put a little experiment together today that seems like it will hold.

Running a virtualized Android OS with Bliss OS (https://blissos.org/) and forwarding notifications via internal webhook using Tasker and/or an app designed for this exact use case (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jojoagogogo.nf&hl=en_US&gl=US).

So far the notification propagation seems much more reliable than IFTT.