Smart Thermostat 2.0 Blueprint

This blueprint is inspired by this blueprint 🧠 Smart Thermostat (Radiator).

It removes all additional entries for door/window sensors of the original script. These are not necessary because you can use a group instead. This makes cleaner set-up possible.

Why?

I use smart radiator thermostats from tado. But they do not support hardware-based window sensors. If you open a window, the thermostat does not turn off the radiator as I expect it. Tado offers a subscription to handle this, but it costs money and is only software-based. Therefore expensive and unreliable. I want a reliable (hardware) solution without an extra subscription.

This blueprint solves the issue by combining the thermostats with window sensors in your Home Assistant instance. You can use for example Aqara Door & Window sensors for this automation.

Additionally, this blueprint can turn off the thermostat if the temperature outside is over a defined threshold. This is useful for the summer months to disable heating completely.

Requirements

• A thermostat that should be turned off when a window is open (e.g. tado radiator thermostat)
  • A window sensor (e.g. Aqara Door & Window sensor)
  • A weather entity (e.g. AccuWeather)

How to set up

1. If you have multiple window sensors for the same thermostat, combine them with a group.
  2. Import the blueprint Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.
  3. Select the thermostat, weather, and sensor entities
  4. Set a name
  5. Profit.

You can find the blueprint source here: smart-thermostat.yaml · GitHub

3 Likes

Great blueprint, simple and easy to use.

I had some problems with the LUMI/Aqara thermostats as their state alters between “off” and “heat” (not “auto”). So I made a fork that accepts a string for the “on” and “off” state and passes that to the HVAC action instead.

See it here:

You are more than welcome to merge this fork, should you want to.

@Captain_Slow you have a small typo, line 60 in the description. Add the description in quotes otherwise the semicolon will break the whole yaml. Also even in the original it is not clear to which temperature the thermostat starts to heat.