Starling Developer Connect local network API for Nest device access

I noticed that the makers of the Starling HomeKit bridge for Nest products have created a local device set of restful APIs that allow access to your Nest ecosystem if you have a Starlink configured at your house.

Full details of the API are here:
Starling Developer Connect - API Reference

A couple of interesting potential advantages of their API vs the official Google Smart Device Access APIs that the Nest integration uses:

• Has supoprt for Nest Thermostats, Remote Temp Sensors, Cameras, Locks, Smoke Detectors, and Security Systems (Nest Integration via SDA only has access to Thermostat and Cameras)
  • Communicates locally (even if the Starling device itself still talks to the cloud
  • Easier to access then 20+ steps for SDA - just enable enhanced security on the Starling Hub and good to go.

Of course the primary con is it certainly seems Google could kill this thing off at any time, but I’ve had a Starling Hub for almost a year and it hasn’t stopped working yet.

I’m no developer, but I’m wondering if there is a developer here who might want to take a crack at building a Starling Home Hub integration for HA? I’d absolutely signup to help test if needed!-

2 Likes

I would also like a Starling Integration. Works much better than the Nest Integration.

I’ll take a crack at it this weekend. I’m not promising anything other than what I can test, however. I’ll try to get the full API in there, but I can only test the Google Nest Thermostat + Remote Sensors.

1 Like

I have a nest hello doorbell and some protects as well and can help test if you like. Thanks for taking a look!

I just decided to get a whole bunch if nest protects for my new construction home, because they just seem to be the best detector. It’ll be another month or two before I can test, but I really want to unlock their potential with home assistant… @Mike_Trelinski did you get something working?

A dedicated integration would be awesome, I’m currently running the starling home hub though home assistant via the apple home bridge integration. Its functional, but janky. None of the sensors are labled and things which could be useful (ie presence detection on the nest protect fire alarms) aren’t available.

Access to doorbell events would be handy. Another nice inclusion, if possible, would be to expose the camera feed to the local network somehow so they can be pulled into something like synology survelance station? (I’m no programmer so I could be dreaming here)

I have a few nest products and a starling home hub so I’d be more than happy to assist with any testing!