Starling Home Hub integration

Unfortunately I made the dumb decision to but into the nest ecosystem before I got wise to the existance of home assistant / the fact nest service sucks since google bought it up. My setup includes some nest protect Smoke / CO alarms, Thermostat, Nest Outdoor cams, indoor cam and also a nest hello doorbell.

Now, while there is a ā€œworkingā€ nest integration already on HA, theres something better out there.

The Starling home hub is a tiny device that sits on the network, originally designed to bridge the gap between google nest and apple homekit - theyā€™ve developed a smashing bridge between the two ecosystems, going as far to include airplay compatability to nest minis / hubs. Check the link for details. In a recent update, the starling team opened up access to their API which i wonder now if it can be used to bring the same amazing integrations from Nest into Home assistant?

I have a janky work around at present by pairing starling with HA under the HomeKit controller integration but some features are missing / messy

Is there anone with the knowhow able to develop on the Starling API and get a working integration for nest products once and for all?

i second this! am not a developer, but would be more than happy to help test if anyone wants to look into getting this up and running :slight_smile:

PS. not to hijack your thread or anything @nickroberts174 but iā€™m having some weird stuff happen with my Starling hub in HA - just wondering if you might have experienced something similar?

@milkplus, I found the same thing, didnt slow my HA down though - Assuming you have a nest hello Doorbell, each of those sensors is a familiar face that it knows! I think theres a way to un-expose those ā€˜sensorsā€™ in Starling. Alternatively, you can bulk select them and set them inactrive in HA

Any key working on a native Starling Home Hub integration that uses the Starling api? I have my starling hub connected directly to my Apple Home with HomeKit and thus can not connect to Home Assistant with HomeKit controller.

I was able to get this to work just now by removing the hub from the Apple Home app. The Homekit Controller (Starling Hub) just showed up as discoverable in Home Assistant.

I canā€™t get the Nest x Yale lock to go back to HomeKit, thoughā€¦

I tried the same way. Removes Starling from apple homekit and added them back to HA using homekit controller. I can see all the cameras in ha but i wanted to get them in apple homekit too. It does show the 10s snapshots but i dont see the live view. What am I missing??

1 Like

I have been meaning to add them to frigate through RTSP or similar