Stop location update at home (via wifi)

As shown here:

This feature is for companion app and it goes like this:
You will have place to enter your homes wifi (maybe it can do the same for work [or each Zone]).
and you can tell by specific wifi connection where are you and stop updating the location sensor.

For example:
Dont update location as long as im connected to Home wifi.

For some test ive made, i saw with location enabled, the app took twice battery then location disabled (same conditions, from 100% battery).

I can do that trick via Tasker, but it sounds more convenience that the companion app will contain it.

Thanks!

So how would this update to know youā€™ve left your home (or another) zone if itā€™s not being monitored actively?

I would like to see this based on zone: if you enter zone x, reduce update freq. to XYZ. The companion app has multiple sensors and it could keep zone as ā€˜normalā€™ but reduce all the others

You could use high accuracy mode to set it to say 60 when you leave home and then switch to 7200 when home.

If you use your wifi sensor as the trigger then it should work quite fine I believe

That might indeed work, I admit not reading the docs to full extent ā€¦ on the other side, it would also be nice if the app itself allows these settings. on my iPhone I have nothing of sorts to set myselfā€¦that is a different topic though :slight_smile:
Thanks!

If my phone is connected to XXX wifi, the app can understand and send my current position as ā€˜homeā€™ (or another zone), once my phone disconnected from XXX, use the location sensor instead.

checkedā€¦ and none of the nice commands are available for iPhoneā€¦ :expressionless:

This is partially what im doing now, but sensor update interval is set to 15min (and include all of the sensors [include location]),
so why do i need to update the location at home?
If the location sensor interval can be separated from other sensor updating interval, and if it could be change via notification command (for example) it might be good as well ('cause i would make an automation for disable location updating at home).

But it sound legit to have it ā€˜stockā€™ on the app.

[sorry about grammar, English is not my first lang :slight_smile: ]

Yeahā€¦ thatā€™s what you get for buying a super closed system.

Company phone, no choice and not carrying two :slight_smile:
I did manage to update my sonā€™s S8 ā€˜high accuracyā€™ just now, he is not at home and this worked fine. ā€¦and then he called to ask me wth :rofl:

Our company also wants us to use :face_vomiting:Phone but I just asked if I could buy an Android and they just said they canā€™t support me with help and that was obviously fine with me

I like this request and it makes sense to stop updates when on Home WiFi because we have been starting to use Home WiFi more for certain things in the app other than just connection logic.

For those wishing to change update intervals based on the zone or other criteria the correct approach for that is to use the high accuracy mode to do those changes as that is why we have those commands to offer that level of flexibility for those wishing to use it. Adding in that logic into the app will complicate things a lot more, the current approach is nice because it covers all use cases by allowing users to define their own approach for their own situation.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate it :slight_smile:
I think the first suggestion will do the trick, the second one is just a work around (to change the location interval).

I would love to see it happening,

So, if you have an iPhone, this is already what happens and it is called assisted GPS: Your SSID is geomapped. I canā€™t speak for Android devices, but itā€™s likely the case for all of them.

Listening to GPS signals actually uses little energy. Your device isnā€™t broadcasting anything.

Iā€™m not convinced the true reason for the faster drain mentioned in the original post is due to GPS.

Try another time experiment: When at home keep WiFi on, but turn cellular reception off. How is your cellular reception at home?

I can perform the test again, but the results ive talked about is just the percentage that HA companion took, not the whole smartphone consumption.

The test was like this:
charge to 100% (android reports how many each app took from 100%)
dont enter to ha app at all (background usage only).
check results when phone is 10% battery.

With location enabled: 36.2% - 1min active, 20h 7min background usage
With location disabled: 19.6% - 1min active, 19h 43min background usage

I was at home in both cases.

Tested it with 3 different Android phones, as soon as high accuracy is on, the phone is empty 30-50% quicker (depends a bit on connection in my area)

So for android Google has whats called ā€œFused Location Providerā€ its a mixture of GPS and cell/wifi tower logic. So its never jsut GPS (unless the user has turned on high accuracy mode)

what do you mean location enabled and disabled? Are you just disablign teh location sensors or turning off location on the entire device? its good to be specifc here. Also what are your location sensor settings? Those can also have an impact on battery life.

high accuracy mode is to be expected to cause high drain as it only uses GPS, we also call that out in the docs. Normal location tracking will not have that big of an impact.

1 Like

Hence I want more control over it, i.e. high accuracy at steady locations like home or work makes no sense but when on the move then it doesā€¦i.e. it does for me. The android notifications stuff is nice, sadly not for iphony (yet?)

users have full control over when it stops and starts, along with its update interval and how it plays along with constraints like when in a certain zone or connected a certain bluetooth device.

thats a question for the iOS devs :slight_smile: im sure if its possible they can do it. Android gives more control over certain things :wink:

Ok, sry,
I meant the android location, so no location at all. nothing has changed in HA app.
HA app settings like that:
background location enabled, with high accuracy on with BT and zone (so it didnt work in both tests).
location zone enabled,
single accurate location enabled (but didnt send any command).

My test was on the android location because i wanted to do that automation with Tasker