Support for Aeotec Siren 6

I recently purchased the Aeotec Siren 6 for use with my Home Assistant install, primarily as a doorbell but also for some potential alarm/notification uses in the future. After adding it to my my Z-Wave network, it’s detected as an unknown device and sets up 16 or so entities in my Home Assistant entity database. But they’re just a bunch of sensors, and there doesn’t appear to be any way to actually trigger an alert.

After reading the Aeotec engineering manual, it looks like the Siren supports 8 different configurable alerts (3 different doorbells, several burglar alarms, CO alarm, etc), and each endpoint is associated with a given alert. The way to trigger an event on this siren is for the Z-Wave controller to poll the associated endpoint with a Notification Report, but there doesn’t appear to be any way to do that from within Home Assistant.

I took at look at the open-zwave Github repo, and it looks like support for this device (the zw164) has been comitted fairly recently.

zw164.xml

I’m running Hassio v0.96.5, and if I check the /usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config/aeotec/ folder in my homeassistant docker, the zw164.xml is missing, so clearly these changes haven’t been included yet, and the Siren 6 isn’t supported. I tried using the Developper Tools’ Service zwave.update_config utility to pull the latest configuration files from open-zwave, but it didn’t seem to have had any effect.

So, I’m new to this. How long does integration of new Z-Wave devices typically take to get pulled from Open-Zwave into Home Assistant? Is there a process by which I can do this myself while I wait for official support? Are there plans already in place to include this device, and I just need to be patient for a bit?

Thanks,

-A

Take a look at the update_config service. This might do the trick

To fully utilize the Siren 6 requires OZW v1.6, which is not yet supported, HA uses OZW v1.4. If you search these forums you’ll find plenty of discussions about this device. First Python OZW needs to be updated to support 1.6, then HA will need to be updated. There is no known timeline for either of those.

The zwave.update_config service won’t work and doesn’t do anything anyways (has always been broken).

1 Like

@freshcoast thanks for the quick reply. I thought I’d done my searching homework before posting, but it looks like I was being too narrow in scope by just searching for “zw164”. I see the numerous conversations regarding the Siren/Doorbell 6 that you’re referring to. Looks like you’ve answered this question numerous times already; sorry for making you type it out again :wink:

Now I’m just debating between holding onto the Aeotec and waiting for a hypothetical future update to OZW1.6, or returning it and homebrewing a solution based on a NodeMCU-controlled relay and a DC doorbell.

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

-A

1 Like

Python OZW is working on the upgrade:

Looks like they are well on the way to getting this done, however indicates that it’s not a drop in replacement, so additional coding in HASS required to handle this.

Hi, did you manage to make it work?

Do you know the commands to change the sound level, type of sound and turn this sound on and off?

I hope you like to share this!

No. I still have the siren, but I decided to abandon the my efforts until OZW 1.6 integration is available. In the meantime I just went with a cheap $10 DC doorbell off Amazon controlled via MQTT using a relay and an ESP8266 like I hinted at in my previous message. It’s not fancy, and the notifications aren’t customizable, but it works well enough for the time being.

-A

Hello, someone did manage to make it work?

Is there any news on this? Which version of pyozw is current HA (0.109.x) on? And where can we find a roadmap for the future, if any?

The new integration will support OZW 1.6.

I tried the pre-release but it didn’t add the device and entities in HA. I could see them in mqtt though. So I used my Hubitat hub for the z-wave devices only for now. I’ll wait until this is a little bit more finished.

Yes, that part is true unfortunately. At least they are controllable via MQTT, now you have no ability at all. HA itself does not yet have a good way to represent these devices anyways, it’s not just Z-Wave.

1 Like

Does anybody have some succes with this yet?

I was just looking at this device today as well. Would be great if it could be made to work. However, with that said, I am glad now that I didn’t order it.

There is a way to use this in HA.
By using service -> mqtt.publish and then sending something like:

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/setvalue/
payload: '{"ValueIDKey":281475167436852,"Value":3}'

In this case the value is the ringtone.

https://github.com/cgarwood/homeassistant-zwave_mqtt/issues/45 is the explanation.

My own summary would be install MQTT explorer, connect to your HA MQTT broker. Find the node id for the siren. The in in MQTT explorer goto:
OpenZwave -> 1 -> -> instance -> 3 -> commandclass -> 121
Browse the values, there should be 4. Doorbell tones lets you play a selected tone.

1 Like

I don’t understand why mqtt is a part of this. Can’t we just use the zwave.set_node_value service? Did anyone manage to use this siren for anything?

zwave, which is OZW 1.4, does not support sirens. You don’t use config parameters, you use the Sound Switch Command Class to control these sirens. OZW 1.6 (ozw integration) does support Sound Switch.

Okay, how do I use the sound switch command class?

Use the MQTT api to interact with the values. https://github.com/OpenZWave/qt-openzwave/blob/7ebd43e246e97851ad20f2b1bb9c62bfd6a4a6ef/docs/MQTT.md#setvalue

I guess using zwave2mqtt is a prereq for doing so? I am using the “native” HA zwave integration, which doesn’t seem to have anything to do with mqtt.