Support for Aeotec Siren 6

No. I still have the siren, but I decided to abandon the my efforts until OZW 1.6 integration is available. In the meantime I just went with a cheap $10 DC doorbell off Amazon controlled via MQTT using a relay and an ESP8266 like I hinted at in my previous message. It’s not fancy, and the notifications aren’t customizable, but it works well enough for the time being.

-A

Hello, someone did manage to make it work?

Is there any news on this? Which version of pyozw is current HA (0.109.x) on? And where can we find a roadmap for the future, if any?

The new integration will support OZW 1.6.

I tried the pre-release but it didn’t add the device and entities in HA. I could see them in mqtt though. So I used my Hubitat hub for the z-wave devices only for now. I’ll wait until this is a little bit more finished.

Yes, that part is true unfortunately. At least they are controllable via MQTT, now you have no ability at all. HA itself does not yet have a good way to represent these devices anyways, it’s not just Z-Wave.

1 Like

Does anybody have some succes with this yet?

I was just looking at this device today as well. Would be great if it could be made to work. However, with that said, I am glad now that I didn’t order it.

There is a way to use this in HA.
By using service -> mqtt.publish and then sending something like:

topic: OpenZWave/1/command/setvalue/
payload: '{"ValueIDKey":281475167436852,"Value":3}'

In this case the value is the ringtone.

https://github.com/cgarwood/homeassistant-zwave_mqtt/issues/45 is the explanation.

My own summary would be install MQTT explorer, connect to your HA MQTT broker. Find the node id for the siren. The in in MQTT explorer goto:
OpenZwave -> 1 -> -> instance -> 3 -> commandclass -> 121
Browse the values, there should be 4. Doorbell tones lets you play a selected tone.

1 Like

I don’t understand why mqtt is a part of this. Can’t we just use the zwave.set_node_value service? Did anyone manage to use this siren for anything?

zwave, which is OZW 1.4, does not support sirens. You don’t use config parameters, you use the Sound Switch Command Class to control these sirens. OZW 1.6 (ozw integration) does support Sound Switch.

Okay, how do I use the sound switch command class?

Use the MQTT api to interact with the values. https://github.com/OpenZWave/qt-openzwave/blob/7ebd43e246e97851ad20f2b1bb9c62bfd6a4a6ef/docs/MQTT.md#setvalue

I guess using zwave2mqtt is a prereq for doing so? I am using the “native” HA zwave integration, which doesn’t seem to have anything to do with mqtt.

How about first you read the whole thread, and then start asking questions, like the rest of us?

That is an excellent idea, thank you very much for that!
Did that and zwave2mqtt is not mentioned anywhere. What is it I am supposed to do to communicate with my zwave network via mqtt? “Use the MQTT api” - some api in OZW, how? @MarkoMarjamaa we are not all on the same level here - are you here to help?

scaarup, you were much more polite than many would have been!

I just got the siren assuming that since it was z-wave, it could be used with HA. I am so unfamiliar with any coding other than Fortran or Visual Basic, I really have no clue how to proceed with trying to use the siren\doorbell. I thought that Home Assistant was going to be much easier since it has a GUI. Didn’t realize you had to open up config files and make modifications to get things to work! I don’t mind learning some new things but I have spent $250 or more on sensors, a hub and a siren and spent 15 hours or more trying to get them all to connect with all the features they are supposed to provide and I still do not have a working alarm system! Very frustrating!

I did but altogether took me a week

Siren devices are not yet supported by HA.

New platform for siren/chime devices · Issue #375 · home-assistant/architecture (github.com)

I have now migrated from legazy z-wave to zwavejs2mqtt. Without me doing anything more, the siren was activated every time one of my door sensors were activated - pretty annoying, but still counts as some form of progress I guess :slight_smile:

So it seems like some of you have a working setup - maybe you have created an mqtt switch to turn on/off the siren? Could you please share?