Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

Yes. Quite understandable. Is it possible that a future release might necessitate reviewing the devices and entities again?

Probably not, but we said that about openzwave (beta) and the dev jumped ship… so :man_shrugging:

Not yet, it will be someday but Z-Wave JS is still in development and does not yet have all the controls built in yet. If your system is working fine you can leave it alone.

@petro it probably makes sense in the “install the addon” section to tell people to rewrite their key to the 1A23BC format. There are a few places where the “old” format is not accepted.

Also it mentions the “.storeage” folder, i think you meant .storage

I have four of twenty nodes that remain undefined after twelve hours. I would wait longer, but the log of the addon log indicates that it tried five times to interview and has given up. I’ve attempted to wake the devices without luck. Is it time to exclude the nodes and add them again?

Hi All, I upgraded to Zwave JS and it went pretty smooth. Except for one thing… my Kwikset Obsidian 954 by Spectrum Brands Zwave lock doesn’t update to “unlocked” or “locked” when it’s either locked/unlocked by using the code or manually by toggling the deadbolt. I had this problem initially with Zwave 1.4 but made a modification noted here Kwikset smartcode 916 status and updates

I’m wondering if something needs added to Zwave JS to recognize these device states to get the lock status to reflect when a person physically interacts with the lock.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

If you think the guide needs updated then you should do that.

It’s a community wiki so anyone can edit it, not just petro.

Thanks for that! I didn’t see the edit button before, must have just not looked in the right spot.
I’ve made my edits!

1 Like

Hi All, not sure if anyone else is having a similar issue. Looking at the logs for Zwave JS… I see this

It appears that it’s providing the things I would like to know, like the bolt status? Is there any way for the bolt status to be queried and used to update the lock status?

It was necessary to remove the four nodes and add them back in. All nodes are working, but now I need the ability to change the parameter values of some nodes. I hope that shows up soon. Can it be done already and I just don’t see it?

I believe that can be done via zwavejs2mqtt.

I dont see a network key, it is null:

"version": 1,
            "domain": "zwave",
            "title": "Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml)",
            "data": {
                "network_key": null,

then leave it blank

Ok, will that work? Also, when something went wrong, can I go back… or do I lose everything of zwave?

Yes leaving it blank will work. Secondly, you should make a snapshot before making this migration.

just created a snapshot… Fingers crossed…
Question about rebooting whole system… I run it on a VM… restart VM is enough?

I don’t know. Try it, if you run into errors, do a full reboot. The goal of the reboot is to have the container let go of the USB device. In the past, it wouldn’t let go (Last year). All of that may have changed and a simple container restart may work.

Seems ok, installed it, now If i want to add the integration, should use the Z-Wave JS Supervisor add-on checkmarked?

All went good, the only problem I still have, is that I have 5 toggles for an RGB Led strip…
I guess I need to rethink my automation to set it on certain color…

Just as an FYI…

you don’t necessarily have to delete the old zwave integration before you test the new zwavejs2mqtt system out.

All I did was go to the zwave control panel for the old integration and stop the network. That released the controller and then I started up the zwavejs2mqtt container using the controller.

I did that to allow my zwave devices to start populating in zwavejs2mqtt without deleting my old entities from HA. That way I can slowly get all of my entities added to zwavejs when I have time (in the middle of the night) without affecting things too badly and forcing me to switch to zwavejs right away.

I haven’t tried to add the zwavejs integration alongside the old zwave integration so I can’t say whether that will be an issue or not, tho.