Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

I did update and everything went smoothly. The 4 in 1 works fine.

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger last night and they all showed up correctly after several wake-ups. Having the binary sensor is nice. I had to create my own based upon the Burglar value under OZW.

This is such an awesome guide – the time it takes to pull this together is much appreciated. I finally took the plunge to convert having had some time this weekend. I didn’t update the wiki but here are some notes:

7.2: I did NOT restart Zwave JS during this process. The only items I had problems with are battery-powered, and monitoring the logs is helpful. What seems to happen is they go back to sleep (or just have comm errors?) during the interview process. I just continually woke the devices until the interview seemed to complete.

My fire/CO detectors are notoriously finicky. For these I did the re-interview node (select the device from the ZwaveJS integration, then re-interview device from Device Info). I had to wake it up, then hit re-interview, and after a few seconds pull the battery tray and re-wake it up – multiple times for the interview to complete.

Running through all battery-powered devices as above, then deleting the integration and re-adding it was adequate. A lot of progress has been made on ZwaveJS – all my devices (29) work as expected, with an odd attribute naming change here and there.

Ended up here seeing its nagging “new device ZwaveJS” after the last core update.

Is there a summary of things that are working/not on the ZwaveJS? I know I’d read a few things that sounded incomplete before?

In particular, I’m worried about these:

• Yale deadbolts - GUI to easily read which user-codes are in which slot and update; read/set options easily with drop-downs
  • Inovelli Fan+Light dimmers, including LED bars, read/set options easily with drop-downs, as well as set LED blink patterns/colors from automatons

fan/light/dimmers are fine. LED bars are a pain in all softwares that exist due to the method that innoveli used to implement them. Fortunately, there’s many people here and on the innoveli forums that have solutions. Just search for them.

If you use node red, this palette works great to set the LED patterns and colors, with zwavejs

More info on this thread

I’ve got them working great in the old ZWave but recall reading that something was “in progress” for the notification LEDs to work in the new ZWave JS. Didn’t seem particularly hard but want to make sure I don’t lose functionality.

Similarly I thought I’d seen people say the only way to manage locks and such would be a dashboard with X users vs the easy to use GUI in the ZWave Configuration going forward…that’s also something I’d prefer to not lose

I’m already on zwave JS, but now I want to repair everything to use the S2 security. Is there a template for zwave JS to make an export of al nodes and entities? The template for the “old” zwave does not work.

Hello, I am new to HASS and bought NORTEK stick. Having issues with setting up Z-Wave. In the Add-On Z-Wave logs I get this:

[00:38:12] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
2021-10-11T04:38:14.716Z DRIVER   ███████╗ ██╗    ██╗  █████╗  ██╗   ██╗ ███████╗             ██╗ ███████╗
                                  ╚══███╔╝ ██║    ██║ ██╔══██╗ ██║   ██║ ██╔════╝             ██║ ██╔════╝
                                    ███╔╝  ██║ █╗ ██║ ███████║ ██║   ██║ █████╗   █████╗      ██║ ███████╗
                                   ███╔╝   ██║███╗██║ ██╔══██║ ╚██╗ ██╔╝ ██╔══╝   ╚════╝ ██   ██║ ╚════██║
                                  ███████╗ ╚███╔███╔╝ ██║  ██║  ╚████╔╝  ███████╗        ╚█████╔╝ ███████║
                                  ╚══════╝  ╚══╝╚══╝  ╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═══╝   ╚══════╝         ╚════╝  ╚══════╝
2021-10-11T04:38:14.725Z DRIVER   version 8.4.1
2021-10-11T04:38:14.725Z DRIVER   
2021-10-11T04:38:16.335Z CONFIG   version 8.4.1
2021-10-11T04:38:17.668Z CNTRLR   beginning interview...
2021-10-11T04:38:17.669Z CNTRLR   querying version info...
2021-10-11T04:38:18.968Z CNTRLR   Failed to execute controller command after 1/3 attempts. Scheduling next try i
                                  n 100 ms.
2021-10-11T04:38:20.083Z CNTRLR   Failed to execute controller command after 2/3 attempts. Scheduling next try i
                                  n 1100 ms.
2021-10-11T04:38:22.215Z DRIVER   Failed to initialize the driver: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the con
                                  troller
Error in driver ZWaveError: Failed to initialize the driver: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the controller
    at Immediate.<anonymous> (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:795:6) {
  code: 5,
  context: undefined,
  transactionSource: undefined

Under Integrations I have Migrate to Z-Wave JS and when I click on Star Migrating Click on Continue then use the Add-On I get this error:

Aborted
Failed to connect

In .yaml file I have:

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0

Under Hardware I have:

Please advice.
Thanks

Update: Got it working by Added the following to configuration.yaml:

zwave: usb_path: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_C1300F1D-if00-port0

After running the conversion script all my devices converted and are up and running, however, the entity names did change for my two window/door sensors. For each device, I now have these two:

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any
number.door_windows_sensor_basic

I’m assuming I’m supposed to change number.door_windows_sensor_basic to reflect the number of these sensors I have (2) but not sure how other than increase the number to 2 for both entities. Then if I want to reference one specifically how do I do that. Since each as the “_any” tagged to the end of the sensor.

Finally do I need to customize them to change the device class to window as both of them just show on/off?

Not following you one bit here.

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any is your open/close on that window

number.door_windows_sensor_basic is a slider that you can adjust through the UI. Only you will know what it does as it’s hardware dependent.

Yes

The entity below exist for each device,

So since I have two devices that are the same just different windows, do I manually change the value to “2” for each device or just set each to “1”; currently they both show “0”?

Then since the sensors have the entity name of binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any and binary_sensor_any_2 , the “any” implies the sensor will reflect open if either sensor is triggered.

I’m just not sure why each sensor had the word “any” added to the entity name. This wasn’t the case with Zwave 1.4.

what does it matter, the entity_id name doesn’t imply anything. It’s just the entity_id. The number entity is most likely completely unrelated to the binary sensor. Can you just take a screenshot of the device with it’s entities in integrations → device → click on device, because everything you’re saying doesn’t make much sense.

Here you go.

Also when you select the send entity, this is what I get.
wNum

It looks to me that there is an effort to group the window sensors together, These are from Nortek, wadwaz_1. I have two other brand window sensors but I don’t get this with them. Perhaps because I only have one of each brand/model.

I’m not sure what your dilemma is. I just looked up the device, and it’s a simple open/close sensor. So the binary_sensor is all you need. I’m not sure why you’re focused on the number entity. That’s most likey an entity that changes a property of that single device. It has nothing to do with other door/window sensors.

It’s not really a dilemma, and yes I know it is a simple sensor, but I would like to understand why this showed up after the transfer. I’m naturally curious and this was not expected. Assuming it was not by error, and instead as you say likely and entity that changes a property, I would like to know how to use/exploit it. I don’t spend a lot of time on Home Assistant but I do like to understand how things work however, there is not a lot of relevant current documentation since HA is constantly evolving. So we are left with asking questions on the forums in hope that someone in the know can explain it. That’s all.

I had to work through several issues in transferring the few devices I have and since the provided conversion script didn’t clean up everything, I also wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

You’re way off the mark with your assumptions. That particular number sensor provides the ability to Set and Get the Basic Command Class value. If you don’t know what the Basic CC is, then you probably don’t need that entity. There’s a reason it’s disabled by default.

The new zwave platform exposes everything it can about your z-wave device. If you’re unfamiliar with the terminology that comes across, you should be googling the name after the colon with the keyword zwave. You’ll get all the information you need about the command classes that come through. You may not understand them, but you how have access to them.

OK, thanks, that’s all I needed. What through me off was entity id started with number, and the previous entity id had “any” tagged on so immediately thought this was something new that allowed me to group several sensors and respond if any went off. Been so long since I did anything with zwave, I never thought it had something to do with command class. I don’t need that functionality at the moment so I’m pretty set.

Thanks again.

since you have two of those devices it’s likely that they both got migrated in the same manner.

so you also likely have another entity_id that is the same but with a “_2” appended that is related to your second device.

like so:

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any

and

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any_2
number.door_windows_sensor_basic_2