T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway

When I connect does it have to be a local connection from my mac or can it be ssh?

Using this guide:

How do I know the info for template so it’s good with T-moblile’s router configuration?
How I need to change this:

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.0.4/24
static routers=192.168.0.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1

I would really encourage you to use a dynamic IP setting on the Pi and to use a feature available in most recent routers to allocate a static IP to your Pi based on its MAC address as Steve mentioned here.

Initially you dont need to use the assignment and the Pi will get a dynamic IP address from your router. You said you could see the clients list in your router and that will tell you the current IP of the Pi

I set my config up with:

interface eth0
static ip_address=192.168.12.159/24
static routers=192.168.12.1
static domain_name_servers=192.168.12.1

Then rebooted the system and was able to SSH into the pi using 192.168.12.159.

I powered down the RP4 then removed the micro SD card and plug back the usb to boot from that has HA and I can’t find it anywhere now

Is this DHCPCD?

I have an hdmi plugged into my raspberryPi and I have it booted through usb showing the Home Assistant. I have noticed that my raspberry pi now shows up on my router device list but the ip is empty/blank but the ip of the ethernet is the ip of the router, 192.168.12.1?
Also HA core still shows my old ip, 192.168.0.25. How can I change my ip through the HA command line to my new static ip, 192.168.12.159?

At the moment none of the ip’s bring up my homepage/lovelace dashboard.

DHCPCD is the DHCP client on a Linux system. It is loaded with the Raspian OS.

You have been advised at least ten times here to NOT USE static IP on the Raspberry Pi. Unless you know what you are doing and have a good reason to not let the router assign a permanent IP lease (AKA static IP) from the DHCP server in your router. From your questions, I really doubt that you do.

Show the complete config file.

Oh okay I thought I was using DHCPCD on my Raspberry Pi when I used that website. I apologize for being a beginner.

What/which config file are you talking about and where can I find that for you?

Does none of this matter if DHCPCD is not correct?
T-Mobile Home Internet Gateway - #34 by BrianLane

Will I still be able to have my Tmobile router assign a permanent IP lease from the DHCP?

What I did above what in the /etc/dhcpcd.conf file of my raspberry pi not my router. I’m not sure how to access config on my router.

By default your router includes a DHCP server. There is nothing to set up out of the box.

I want to see that config file. Is that the whole file?

Yes but does that file even matter if it was on micro SD card and I boot HA from usb w/o micro SD?

I tried to installing HA on my drive and everything boots up properly but I still can’t find my dashboard.

I got http://192.168.12.159:8123/onboarding.html to load! But when I restored from snapshot, I don’t know if it finished and now nothing is working. I think this is because I was using a static IP before too.

My device ip isn’t matching my HA ip?

Yes, because whatever network instructions you put in cmdline.txt on the SD card gets copied into /etc/dhcpcd.conf. When you configured to boot from USB disk, you copied /etc/dhcpcd.conf from the SD card.

Can you SSH into the Raspberry Pi?

1 Like

I read the manual on your router and the various forum posts. (Recommended)

This isn’t currently possible on your T-Mobile router. There is no access to DHCP server config or IP allocations. It may come in a firmware update later.

I don’t think there is a port forwarding option either which will cause you other issues.

1 Like

Got it. I could when the micro SD was inserted. What should I do once I ssh in?

This sounds really bad. What do you suggest I do then?

I was able to create a static ip for my pi that worked from what I did in the website posted above.

Use a different Internet provider or await a firmware update for the router and hope they add these features. Apparently T-Mobile have indicated they will be adding a bridge (pass through) mode to the capabilities which would allow you to use your own additional router internally.

In the meantime, yes you can create a static IP in the 192.168.12.x space that will work for you for internal LAN access.

External WAN access will likely be a problem. I believe there is an add on for HA discussed on this forum that offers a VPN like feature via an external provider that might work for you with a dynamic HA IP address and a dynamic WAN address. It doesn’t need port forwarding presumably because the connection is instantiated from within your LAN.

Maybe this one ? Not recommending as I don’t use it but it maybe works for you.
Hass.io Add-on: SocketXP - Home Assistant Remote Access (No DDNS + No Port Forwarding Required)?

1 Like