Texas Residents: Access your Smart Meter Texas readings with Node-Red and MQTT

Getting “failed to connect”. Does anyone else have this problem?

I do :frowning: Same error

How do we get these readings into the energy dashboard? I’m seeing a lot of conflicting stuff about state_class: total_increasing or measurement and nothing I’m doing seems to be right. What sensors do people end up with that work with the energy dashboard?

Step 3 on github links you to the yaml which contains all the sensor setup. The mqtt part needs to be reformatted before the end of the year (you will get a warning about it but it will still work).

I just pushed a change to update the MQTT configuration so that it will continue to work going forward.

1 Like

Getting ERR_TLS_CERT_ALTNAME_INVALID errors:

“RequestError: Hostname/IP does not match certificate’s altnames: Host: smartmetertexas.com. is not in the cert’s altnames: DNS:www.smartmetertexas.com : https://smartmetertexas.com/api/user/authenticate

What am I missing?

Also, to get into the energy dashboard, do I add a device? the smt current reading entity doesn’t show up for me as an option, but it is an entity.

If we already had this setup do we need to do anything on our end? I’m good at following directions… not so good a figuring stuff out.

Home Assistant has made breaking changes to how MQTT entities are defined that will break later this year. You just need to replace the smartmetertexas.yaml file in your packages directory with the new one in my repository.

2 Likes

Looks like it stopped working a few days ago? Connection reset at the login step or something, haven’t dug into the logs yet…

Yeah all SMT integrations are broke at the moment. SMT blocked access to their server directly (smartmetertexas.com) and require to go through their CDN (www.smartmetertexas.com) now, and that requires some cookies be set which isn’t happening in the integrations.

Started working for me again on the 19th and have been getting consistent readings back since.

Looks like we are broken again

Hi All, forgive my lack of knowledge here. I am new and have HA running in a container. I followed the steps to get Node Red installed in the container. However, I am unable to install the Node-Red configs from the integration. Am I missing something?
I have a Smart Meter Texas account and trying to pull in the energy usage.

Started working again for me overnight, after 5 days of nothing.

Are you using Node-Red or the SMT integration?

Node-Red.
BTW - your image above shows the “Node-Red Companion” integration. I’m not sure what that is, but I don’t think it’s what you want. Instead, go to Settings - Add-ons - Add-on Store, and scroll down to find Node-RED in the “Home Assistant Community Add-ons” section. (Intuitive, right? :slight_smile: )

Thanks! I got SMT working without Node-Red. Just started working this week!

Apologies if I’m missing something really basic here - I’m fairly new to Home Assistant. I’m trying to get this node-red integration with smart meter texas working with Home Assistant and have been running into difficulties. I’m following the Installation instructions on github and have managed to get node-red configured and my first flow deployed. However, I’m running into issues with Home Assistant. I’ve added

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_merge_named packages/

to my configuration.yaml, created a directory called packages and have uploaded the smartmetertexas.yaml file to the packages directory. When I attempt to check configuration or restart Home Assistant I get this error

expected a dictionary for dictionary value @ data['packages']['sensor']

I’ve mucked around a bunch, but I’m new to MQTT configuration and am really just cutting my teeth on anything more complex than zwave and automations/scenes. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mitch

I knew that if I posted something I would figure it out… just sharing in case anyone else runs into something similar. The issue was the packages entry in my configuration.yaml. I updated to the configuration to

homeassistant:
  packages: !include_dir_named packages/

and the problem resolved itself. I was barking up the wrong tree, entirely.