TP-Link Smart Home integration authentication

Hi! I noticed that after each restart of the system, the TP-Link Smart Home integration must be re-authenticated.
Are there others who have this problem?

RPi 4
Core 2024.4.3 Supervisor 2024.04.0 Operating System 12.2 Frontend 20240404.2

2 Likes

Yes I have had this since the latest HA update to 2024.4.4. Have re-authorised several times but the notification returns. The devices themselves seem unaffected though and continue to work as expected.

2 Likes

Same for me. Does not affect all devices but some plugs are showing this problem since the last updates. Authentication seems to be lost every few hours.

I have the same problem.
I don’t know how is it for you, but for me is pretty bothering :frowning:
I’m thinking to replace all the TP-Links plugs, but I have a considerable amount and I’m not so happy with this expense…yet…
Did anybody find some solution on this?

Later edit
I deleted the Tapo Controller custom integration and I’m using only TP-Link Smart Home HA core integration.
Everything is just fine.

I just got 4 EP25 smart plugs last month and it’s been doing this the whole time, so I didn’t realize it was a recent bug.

I set connected them to WiFi using the Apple Home app, then removed then from my home and added them to Home Assistant via HomeKit. That let me control them, but they didn’t report energy usage, which was the whole reason I bought them. So, I removed them from the HomeKit Device integration and added them using the Kasa integration, which seemed to work fine, but every few days they each require authentication. Individually. It’s really annoying.

Interestingly, they worked fine without authenticating for the first few days of using them after switching from HomeKit to Kasa. When the prompt appeared, I had to idea what to enter, so I made a TP-Link account and used that. They weren’t (and still aren’t) connected to it in any way, but Home Assistant doesn’t seem to mind.

Today, I installed the Kasa app on my phone to see if I could change some setting to enable local access, even though it works fine between authentication prompts already. Oddly, the plugs weren’t in it. I didn’t add them, but I assumed Home Assistant would.

I have about 20 TPlink Kasa Switches. Only 1 continually asks for reauthentication. Drives me nuts as the integration / Home Assistant control wont work without the authentication. Any thoughts or updates to this problem?

With several people reporting the same thing, I would look for a core issue and if there isn’t known, start one citing this topic.
Reporting issues - Home Assistant.

I am still having this problem after reboots. The devices that need authentication change though.

"Config entry ‘Kitchen Overhead KS205’ for tplink integration could not authenticate: Unable to complete handshake: 192.168.1.224: TRANSPORT_UNKNOWN_CREDENTIALS_ERROR(1003) "

I just started seeing this today - it’s appearing on the 3 switches I have that are Matter switches,

Reporting authentication issues too since update. Prior to update, I could “re-authenticate” all my light switches when never TP-Link asked for it. Now, none of my KS225 will work. Getting “Unknown Error”. Other devices work fine (KS205 and KL125).

KS225 running firmware 1.1.0.

Tried HAOS reboot/restart, and tried factory reset on light switches.

EDIT: Just installed newest update (HA 2024.7.1) and the issue was resolved for me.

Worked on this yesterday with HASS on discord. Can attest it’s been resolved in newest update.

SPECIAL NOTE:
username (email) is CaSe SensiTIVE
use kasa app > goto “Me” section to view your email address.

my email had Gmail.com with a capital “G”

1 Like

Having the same problem with one of the EP25’s, and even though it says authentication successful, it still shows as an error in HA.

THANK YOU! I kept trying my username that is shown on the top of the screen because my email didnt work. I must have typed the wrong password the first time.

I have the same issue since yesterday with my P115 sockets. Also have problems with my TP camera integration. I feel sad :frowning:

Morning

Im having the same issue suddenly with the intergration. I removed it and re set it all up, power cycled the P115 plugs and it worked for like an hour.

I now just see this in he intergration which isnt helpful

ANy ideas whats going on? Im hoping its a bigger issue than just me as ive not changed anything

Thanks

2 Likes

I’m seeing something similar. My four P110 plugs are visible and controllable in the TP-LINK app, and they work fine through the Amazon Alexa “Skill”.

However, Home Assistant gives me the same “Failed to set up” message that you see.

I tried removing one of my plugs. It gets re-discovered, but entering the (correct) credentials for TP-LINK results in a “unknown error”

I turned off 2FA on my TP-LINK account in case that was something to do with it, but it still fails at that point.

Steve

Just to be sure I was using the correct credentials, I logged out of the phone app and logged back in.

I should add…

Unlike your case, I have not (knowingly) updated or changed anything just before I started noticing problems.

I have some gauges that show power consumption on my four plugs and yesterday they started to intermittently show error messages before, fairly quickly, settling down to a permanent error status.

My TP-link P110 stopped working 10 hours ago.

Firstly I experienced device temporary ‘unavailable’ in 50% cases and this lasted 2 days.
Tried reset integration, logging out, logging in without success (credentials are OK).
Now it’s gone totally :frowning: