Tts.google_translate_say service doesn't work

Hi everyone,

Since a while the “tts.google_translate_say” no longer works for me. It always used to work fine, but at a certain moment it just stopped working and I have no idea why. I got the following in my config:

  - platform: google_translate
    language: 'nl'

And this is what I do:

entity_id: media_player.nest_woonkamer
message: Test

Or in a automation:

  - data:
      entity_id: media_player.nest_woonkamer
      message: Test
    service: tts.google_translate_say

I got 3 Google devices, and they all behave the same.

What I see is the following: When I fire the service, I see the entity in Home Assistant switching from “off” to “idle”. Also I see the media_content_id, and if I copy that address in the browser the sound file is good. In some way that would suggest that the problem isn’t within Home Assistant… but the fact that I experience this on all my Google devices, and that is suddently stopped working makes me think it does…

So I’m not sure what to do here. Any ideas?

The problem has already been reported.

Thanks. The weird thing is that this reports that it started today. I’m having this for quite a while now, I just didn’t take action on it untill now…

But I gues I’ll have to wait because there is nothing to fix at this moment if everyone is having problems.

The issue appeared some weeks ago already for some users.

Strangely it works for me if I use single words, anything longer than a single word has stopped working… pretty annoying to no longer have my weather updates :slight_smile:

Stopped working for me too, but here’s the crazy thing:

I have a bunch of routines in Node Red that use google_translate_say for output, and they continue to work. If I copy an existing google_translate_say node to a new routine, the copy continues to work. But if I modify even one letter in the output message, the node immediately fails with an “api_error”.

@DougAmes, I have the same - I have a few alexa’s so I am moving my notifications to those but would still like to use my sonos where possible, does anyone know if there’s another TTS service that works? Can you use Alexa’s TTS on Sonos ? I’ve not managed to get it to work even on the Sonos ones with Alexa built in…

The fix will be in the next version of HA. If you want to fix it now, look at this option at the bottom of the page.
When updating, be sure to delete.

1 Like

Confirmed that Google TTS has stopped working. Existing Node Red nodes using Google TTS continue to work because they have a cached mp3 version they will use as long as you make no changes.
A fix is promised in the next release of HA, and there are instructions for a temporary patch, as referenced by pepe59. Sadly this patch does not work for me in my older version of HA (crashes HA on startup), and I am unable to update because my server hardware and Linux version does not support newer versions of HA. So that’s the end of Google TTS support for me.
Like you I have temporarily moved failing announcements to Alexa, and I am exploring an alternative: Pico TTS - Home Assistant.

just switched to Reverso TTS / tts on hacs, works perfectly

Unfortunately, in my language, the template was read as written. Normal text reads correctly.

Thanks, checking out Reverso and Pico tts right now.

Pico tts was very simple to install, and works fine. And it’s local.

Can’t say I’m super-impressed with Reverso - it doesn’t sound particularly natural, no better than Pico tts.

So far Alexa sounds the most natural, Google 2nd, Pico and Reverso 3rd.

On the GitHub issue they say you can use tts.cloud_say instead, if you use NabuCasa, and I do. But this gives the exact same behavior for me. This together with the fact that this problem started quite some time ago, I’m starting to question if I don’t have some other issues here…

Ok, so I updated to 118.5 and as expected, I still have the same problem.

I do get an error now, which I haven’t seen before:

Logger: homeassistant.components.cast.media_player
Source: components/cast/
Integration: Google Cast (documentation, issues)
First occurred: 5:35:31 PM (5 occurrences)
Last logged: 5:38:39 PM

    Failed to cast media http://hass.slinkos.local:8123/api/tts_proxy/dcc2b6b9ffc17e12e9f940a485d552e1618343f2_nl_-_google_translate.mp3 from internal_url (http://hass.slinkos.local:8123). Please make sure the URL is: Reachable from the cast device and either a publicly resolvable hostname or an IP address
    Failed to cast media http://hass.slinkos.local:8123/api/tts_proxy/1f696410ec372059b2565c0b7f0fda26128bf3b2_nl_-_google_translate.mp3 from internal_url (http://hass.slinkos.local:8123). Please make sure the URL is: Reachable from the cast device and either a publicly resolvable hostname or an IP address

Thanks for that, just did the same! Switched on the Queen and the wife promptly put a stop to that :slight_smile:

I also tried Pico TTS, but that behaves the exact same way. Does anyone know what the problem can be?

I have no idea, but in my version HA 0.118.5 google tts works perfectly. Local network without access from outside.
Rpi4 4Gb boot SSD HassOS 5.6.

It was a pure coincidence that Google TTS stopped working, because I had this problem for a long time already… and the TTS worked, if I pasted the mp3 in my browser it’s OK. But streaming it to my Google devices just doesn’t work. It used to work in the past.

This is strange because in HA version 0.118.5 it has been fixed. It didn’t work for me before this version either. The fix was announced in version 1.0b, but before that they released version 118.5 where this fix was included.

I solved it. I think that the problem has something to do with the internal DNS I use. Google has the Google DNS servers hard coded, I added “base_url” and entered the IP address of my Home Assistant instead of it’s DNS address, and then it works.

Still weird because it was working in the past, but glad that it works now.