Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

Jumpers on the middle 2 pins. (later rev of the board made this more clear).

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/V2_tube_zb_gw_cc2652p2#zigbee-connection-via-usb

Hold BSL while plugging it in or just hold it down after plugged in and hit the ZRST button that should do the same thing.

1 Like

Can one just backup the z2m folder and that is considered a good enough backup for the firmware update without having to re-pair devices afterwards? I’ve tried using bellows and also the zigpy-znp tools with python and both give errors trying to connect via the ip address.

I think you can confirm that a backup.json or similar is within the data folder.

If that is the case my understanding is when you plug in a coordinator that is “new” or erased which is what will happen during the FW update Z2M will just restore that backup when starting up.

I’d prefer someone who has done this successfully to confirm though as I have not.

Worked like a charm thanks!

1 Like

I will try this tonight just to confirm for myself as well.

I always restart z2m via the frontend to ensure the coordinator_backup.json is up to date first.
then stop z2m, update firmware then start z2m.

2 Likes

Can confirm that stopping z2m, updating firmware and restarting z2m results in everything being restored to the controller.

1 Like

@tube0013 First off, your devices are super polished and well supported, thank you!

I’m just getting into Zigbee (my Insteon leak detector just died after 10-years). Is there a path for any of your devices to Matter/Thread? It’s tough to decide if I should go down the Zigbee path or just pick-up a Shelly Flood and kick the can down the road until there is clearer direction.

There has been some developments from Silicon Labs recently that should create an upgrade path at least for the EFR32 based coordinators. specifically I’m talking about this:

https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/application-notes/an1333-concurrent-protocols-with-802-15-4-rcp.pdf

And since the Home Assistant Yellow will be using a Silicon Labs EFR32 - (MGM210) this may be the easiest path to matter/thread while retaining zigbee.

Technically the TI CC2652 is multi-protocol as well, but I have not see the same type of approach or any thread/zigbee docs for it. (Have seen zigbee + BT).

@tube0013 - I ordered the EFR32 Pro Ethernet/USB Serial Coordinator Version 2 and you already shipped it, wow!

I also ordered an WT32-ETH01 from Amazon. Do I just dock the ethernet module on the coordinator or does it need some programming to use the ethernet module? Funny enough, my Insteon leak detector suddenly came back to life this morning. Still looking forward to opening the Zigbee and Matter/Thread opportunities.

First up, thank you for the order! Be patient with the thread stuff, as I am unaware as to whether HA support for OpenThread support has even been started. That being said Nabu Casa is working on the platform I linked and even have the start of an addon for it going. The zigbee module firmware would need an update to work with it at this time though.

The device as you got it will work over USB.

Adding a WT32-ETH01 is pretty easy, you need move the jumpers and then pop the tab on the case. It’s the same deal as decribed here for the CC2652 boards:

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/V2_tube_zb_gw_cc2652p2#cc2652p2-based-zigbee-to-ethernetusb-serial-coordinator

There is a youtube video linked where I show the steps. You will also need to flash the WT32-ETH01. I have the firmware binary I ship with them posted here: https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/tube_zb_gw_efr32/Firmware/ESP32/MGM112%20Pro%20(2022)

You can flash it once it is on the board by putting the jumpers into flash position as shown in that first link, as the WT32-ETH01 does not have an onboard serial chip. I use the Esphome-flasher utility: Releases · esphome/esphome-flasher · GitHub>

I managed to get a test setup up and running. no thread but zigbee is working early days though… https://twitter.com/TubesZb/status/1487607035193606144

1 Like

@tube0013 how do I update the Tube Router (non-ethernet)? The instructions seem to be cryptic and the latest Zigbee2MQTT updates have new firmware that needs to be installed. Help?

I’ll update some docs on github tonight with a video as well. been on the todo list. you do will need a usb->serial adaptor though as there is no serial onboard the router.

1 Like

Is there any pressing need to update if everything seems to be running fine (CC2652P2 Based Zigbee to Ethernet Serial Coordinator)?

I believe the question was about the router.

Generally I believe in if it ain’t broke don’t mess with (unless you are bored :joy:)

For coordinators I say read the release notes and judge for yourself. I normally start shipping the newest stable release a few weeks after it’s been out. If you use Zigbee2mqtt the upgrade should be pretty painless as it pulls a coordinator backup at start. ZHA users should use zigpy-znp tools or the zigstar multitool (uses zigpy-znp) to create a backup and restore after the update.

The new firmware I put out for the router enables an led always on to make power state evident. 2021 routers did not ship with LEDs on the board (can be added if so inclined with 1k resisters). It also ups the tx to 9db in-line with what the most recent coordinator firmware does. I modified the model name which is why a converter was necessary for z2m - sort of forgot about this before shipping a bunch so apologies for that confusion.

2 Likes

A rough outline/discussion of the flashing procedure for the router is higher up in this thread.

Still hoping to find time tonight to work on docs.

I wrote up the router update instructions, and pushed up a video showing me fumbling with the wires to give a rough idea of how it’s done.

https://github.com/tube0013/tube_gateways/tree/main/tube_cc_router#flashing-the-router

1 Like

UPDATE: Disregard. I did the old, hold down the boot switch while plugging in the USB connection then let it go right after I pressed the Flash ESP button. I just needed the two jumpers in the USB to ESP32 config and it worked a treat. Thanks!

The pro works great connected via USB. I’m working on activating the WT32-ETH01. When you say “jumpers into flash position” do you mean use the 2 included jumpers for USB to ESP32 or do I need to grab some more jumpers and run 4-jumpers for Zigbee over Ethernet with ESP32 Debug over USB access?

Using esphome flasher, the device shows up on COM6 (Win10) but every attempt to flash tube-zb-gw-efr32_2022_2022.01.04.bin ends up with Unexpected error: ESP Chip Auto-Detection failed: Failed to connect to Espressif device: No serial data received.

1 Like

Cool you figured it out!

You can do everything with the single pair of jumpers, an extra pair allows you to view the esphome console log over serial while zigbee is running over Ethernet.