Tube's ZB Coordinators and Routers (was Zigbee router on steroids?)

Ah, definitely see how things improve with the routers. If you have an USB powered device and HA is on an UPS or something so it doesn’t go down, you could try and find a USB battery bank to use as a UPS for the device, it would run for hours as it doesn’t pull much current - but some batteries turn off if the current draw is too low.

As for why a device won’t rejoin - you may want to open an issue at the radio library repo - zigpy-znp.

Some months back I purchased a CC2652P2 based Zigbee to Ethernet Serial Coordinator and I am wondering, is there any maintenance I need to perform on this device i.e. such as updating firmware/code?

I’m experiencing issues with Zigbee devices dropping off, which I am 99% are HA related, but wanted to be sure I was being fair to HA and updating the coordinator if that was required.

No real maintenance. on the ESP32 side. on the CC2652 there are firmware updates from the Z-stack project and it’s your choice to update or not. the last update went stable in July I think, I started shipping new units with it in September.

Instructions for updating are here. be-sure to back up the network before updating so you can restore afterwards as the fw update wipes the module.

1 Like

Hi @tube0013, I’m interested in your PoE coordinator and filled out the wait list from for it a few days ago. I just wondered if you had any idea when it will be available for me to order yet please? Just looking for a rough time frame please.
Many thanks

Hi - thanks. I have a bunch of folks waiting on PoE boards - Not every one ends up purchasing though so hard to tell. the hold up now is I’m waiting on a re-order of ESP32-PoE boards from Olimex, I placed the order last week so hoping to have them by the end of this week. I’d say the wait if you got on the list recently is probably another 2-4 weeks.

Thank you! I look forward to getting to the top of the list!!
Many Thanks!

1 Like

@tube0013 - I decided to try upgrading the firmware on my Tube Router just to see if I could do so from my Windows 11 computer. Later, I hope to increase the Zigbee power to 20dB within the firmware, and thus I wanted to at least make sure I could load the current firmware. It wasn’t too bad, piecing together instructions from your GitHub repo, along with that of the programming Python script repo.

Here is what I came up with, which seemed to work fine. I was able to re-pair the Router afterwards to my Tube ZB Ethernet Coordinator. Please let me know if you see any issues with these instructions, as I’d be happy to edit them. I thought this might assist other users who are curious on how to update the Tube ZB Router from Windows.

Install Python from https://www.python.org/downloads/

python.exe -m pip install --upgrade pip

pip install pyserial

pip install intelhex

pip install python-magic

pip install python-magic-bin

Clone https://github.com/JelmerT/cc2538-bsl GitHub repo to local drive

Download and Unzip the CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_router_20210128.zip file from https://github.com/Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware/tree/master/router/Z-Stack_3.x.0/bin

Uplug Tube Router from USB power supply

Connect Tube Router to USB/UART adapter board (3.3v), and while plugging in the USB plug to the PC, hold the BSL button for 10 seconds.

Issue the following command (adjust the PATH and COM Port Number appropriately for your system)

C:\Users\ogiew\Documents\GitHub\cc2538-bsl>cc2538-bsl.py -p COM3 -e -w -v C:\Users\ogiew\Downloads\TheTube\Router\CC1352P2_CC2652P_launchpad_router_20210128.hex

awesome, many thanks.

The only thing I’d recommend is to use a virtualenv for python. I’ve seen a lot of path issues with python and windows from different places, and running a virtualenv makes a self-contained little python environment to run everything.

I find the guide for the zigpy-znp tools has a great intro for setting this up in linux/mac/windows.

once the virtualenv is started you’d just pip-install all the needed tools as you have above.

3 Likes

Hello.

I have a bunch of aqara sensors, some ikuu light switches and a single Yale assure smart lock.

Whenever I lose power (renovating currently so it’s often enough with the electrical work) the lock stays offline until I pair it again which requires physical presence at my front door.

Seeing as everything else works I’m not overly hopeful there’s something I can do to make the lock come back online on its own.

I have an efrpro32 I believe.

Maybe try re-pairing it through a different router?

Thank you. I only purchased the one device from you and have no other ZigBee routers/coordinators.

The lock is the second closest device to my coordinator so I don’t think it’s range related. When I enter pairing mode on the lock and hit add device in ZHA it is instantly finished.

I have the POE Coordinator and I just received my 2 Router/Repeater.
I am unsure of what to do after powering them up.
I read through the docs but do not fully understand.
Thanks

enable pairing in ZHA/Z2M then power up the router it should join straight away.

I must be really block headed.
I went to the HA ZHA integration and clicked add device. I then plugged it in.
Nothing happens on either device. It was not discovered. Unless I am doing it all wrong.

nah, don’t beat your self up :wink: see what happens if you try closer to the coordinator. some interference may be at play. I do test them all before shipping by joining to a test ZHA instance and then re-flash them so they should “fresh” for joining. you can also try popping the top and hitting the button labeled BSL with a single tap and that will put it into pairing mode. if you continue to have issues DM me here, and I’ll help you through it.

Thank you. The Coordinator is plugged into my server room (thats why I purchased the repeater) it did not always make connection in my office where I was setting them up.
I moved the coordinator to my office and bingo they were discovered.
Now I have full house covererage.
Thank you so much for building these.

1 Like

@tube0013 I’ve received my CC2652P2 Based Zigbee to Ethernet Serial Coordinator (Order No. 624102158) and was trying to get it work couple of times (last time today) but with no luck.

I’m moving from Z2M with Conbee II.
What I did:

1. I connected coordinator to my DHCP and set static IP

2. I stopped z2m and changed serial to coordinator’s IP Address

3. I run z2m and still have errors

Can somebody help me with that?

Hi, I can try and help.

When Z2M tries to start do you see a serial connection attempt in the debug log on the coordinator’s esphome web page?

Yes, I see that my HA (192.168.13.150) is connected

Unplug coordinator from power for 10s helped me for a while. Connected devices started to work but I can’t add any of new devices. I set “permit join” reset device (aqara motionsensor) but can’t see on the z2m discovery list. It worked with conbee with no problems.

When you get it working, you might want to change that default network key before adding all your devices.