🪟 Turn off your heater when the window is open 🌡️

Hi :wave:,

I made this blueprint because Tado has decided that you have to pay for the heater to turn off automatically. And I saw other people asking for it.

It was a great learning experience for me, and its cool to share, I hope you find this useful.
:newspaper: The Automation Process:

• This blueprint monitors the state of one binary sensor. If you have multiple sensors, consider creating a group and passing it to the blueprint.
  • When the sensor is open (on), the blueprint takes a snapshot of the heater and then turns off the climate entity.
  • When the sensor is closed (off), the blueprint restores the saved state, which is particularly useful for heat pumps.

:clock1: Change Log:

• 0.1 - 18-Oct-23 - Initial release
  • 0.2 - 26-Feb-24 - Add delays (0s to 300s default is 0s) before turning off or on the climate. Add Known issues with Tado devices

Known issues :

1. Tado devices will return to heat even if it’s not their previous state.

If you find this blueprint useful or have suggestions for improvements, please let me know. You can import the blueprint directly into your Home Assistant by clicking the badge below:

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

4 Likes

Hi,
The Blueprint WindowGuard Climate Control can not found any Heating entity. I have Mi Fresh Air Ventilator C1-80 with heating options, and would like switch it off, when windows is open.

May I ask some advise, please?
Thank you.

Does your device have a climate entity like the example below?

climate.the_name_of_your_device

Hello,

For better experience it’s needs a time delay.
Example if I open the windows for say bye to wife thats does not means i want to heating off.

Time delay 0-120sec :slight_smile:
And also would handy for managing multiple climates.

1 Like

Hi,
Developer Tools- Services - Climate. … is empty.

Yes, unfortunately I created the blueprint for a device that exposes a climate entity because I use the climate.turn_off service. If you only have one device, an automation will do the trick.

Thanks for the feedback, I am investigating on how to add a timer.
If anyone want to contribute to add multiple climate entity, I do accept contribution.

1 Like

I don’t know if I understood wrong how it is supposed to work or it is not working correctly (for me). I’ve set my (tado) in my bathroom to only heat in the mornings and in the evening to 22°C in between the temperatur is set to be at moderately 18°C. Right now it is on 18°C by the tado schedule. If I open my window now, the automation kicks in and turns off the thermostat (works great, as others said a time delay would be great). When closing the window the thermostat is turned on again, but the automation sets it to 22°C instead to the 18°C? What am I doing wrong?

Hi,
I’ve tested the blueprint on Tado units and yes they are doing this weird behaviour where they are set to auto then instantly heat (where they should just go back to auto) but I don’t see a change in the target temperature. I will see what is going on with the integration developers. If I can’t find a fix, I’ll create a new blueprint for Tado users to set them back to auto anyway.

@MR-KGB, I also observed the same behaviour, but this does not seem to be an issue with this blueprint but with the TADO integration. Without this blueprint, I do the same kind of automation at my house, including some presence sensors. I had to stop snapshotting the TADO devices because, when restored, they assumed the current temperature to be the target temperature.

So, suppose the target temperature of the room was 20 C, and the room’s current temperature was 17.5 C at the moment of the scene snapshot when restoring the scene (scene.turn_on). In that case, it sets the target temperature to 17.5 C, leaving my room colder than intended :cold_face:.

The fact that it goes to HEAT after AUTO seems to be the TADO normal behaviour as if I have observed correctly so far; when I set it to AUTO and the TADO thermostat decides to turn on to heat the room, the mode is reported as HEAT in HA.

1 Like

Works great, only missing a delay after door/window is open.

could be nice to add more climate entities… i have some sensors which should deactivate multiple thermostats (i know i can make a climate_group in yaml config) but would be nice to do it right in this blueprint

Hello everyone,

I have updated the blueprint to include delays before switching the climate entity off and on.

I have not found a solution for Tado devices. I may create a new blueprint for Tado devices that instead of taking a snapshot, turns the device off and then back to auto. If you are interested, please let me know.

Hi
I have implemented delays if the windows is open and closed within the delay the heating should not be turned off.
Try it and feel free to report any bugs.

Hi @Tntdruid
I have implemented this feature.
Try it and feel free to report any bugs.

1 Like

hey, just tried the blueprint.
turning off the climate works, but it seems like it fails to take a snapshot.
because of that turning it back on does not work

I’m getting that error too now.

Sorry but I was not able to recreate this issue on my 2 HA

Hi there

That would be awesome if you could? I’ve managed to get Tado to do the Home and Away modes via HA geofencing, but the window opening and closing bit is still manual.

Thanks
John