Tuya lights/switches delay in updating states, is it only me?

Yes, I’ve also just switch over to local tuya as well. It took me a substantial amount of time with 60+ lights, switches and cover but all is good now. The response is unbelievable fast.

New Tuya integration is not working as it should for now. State changes are extremely slow on HA side and due to that automations are not working as they should. I have also installed Local Tuya a month ago and still using it. It works the way it should. I would recommend people to try that until there is a fix on Tuya side.

Hi guys, we are working hard on fixing the slow response issue and will inform everyone once it’s fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience!

8 Likes

Thanks Oliver, great to hear that it is been worked on. It is such response that the community need and timely updates. Home automation has been such an integral part of our lives which we are depend on. Please keep us posted

I can confirm that besides the lights and switches it also happens with Tuya thermostat. It allows you to change the temperature but it doesn’t report the correct one back until the next system restart. But it’s great to hear this issue has been worked on. Thank you!

Hi Everyone!

On Github today have appeared some ‘news’ on the topic, but sadly not too long later the issue/thread had beeen closed on valid reason, and this is why I wanted to explain it here:

Seems that if we resubscribed to the free trial API service the sate reporting become correct:

But as the corresponding Tuya dev console is basically for developers and not end users the free API subscription will expire on every month. There is a paid subscription but basically that is not really for end users. So currently seems that - with the new Tuya v2 integration through the official Tuya API - the usage of our devices could be a ‘little bit’ uncomfortable.

Because of that there had already started some bad tone post about the paid service: Tuya; delayed/missing state updates: Confirmed Tuya Cloud issue, awaiting upstream fix · Issue #60034 · home-assistant/core · GitHub

What I try to answer here, I hope in a correct way:

So, please fix me if I’m wrong: the goal of the new, official TuYa integration was to make its user to pay for it, eventually?

I don’t think that the question is correct. Home Assistant and its integrations are independent from the platform vendors. The payed solution is defined by Tuya and by the independent developers of Home Assistant and its integrations.

Its absolutely understandable if the corresponding developers prefers the official supported solutions over on any other undocumented hacked solutions. The Tuya API and its functions are the true official method to handle Tuya devices, and all of the functions it offers are not for end-users but for developers. So basically the payed solution in the first round is not for us as end-users but for 3rd party develpers, developer companies who want to use Tuya API for their products. The problem we are in front of is that there is no real software relied on Tuya API with developer company who pay for the API usage. Because of it we - as end-users - use the API directly and therefore we have to pay for it directly.

So this is why I think the question is wrong. Any developer will prefer official possibilities over on any unofficial way, and this is why the new integration is lot more reliable as any other. The problem is that Tuya does not offer clean and free mathod to use with Home Assistant, what is for me from the other aspect sadly can be understanadble also. Tudy does not want to use their devices with 3rd party softwares. They want to build massive own userbases with its own solution. But if anybody would like to use their devices in a standalone software there is a possibility but it need to be paid.

So the situation is not based on Home Assistant developers but on Tuya itself who want to build its own userbaes instead of allow 3rd party services ‘to do this’.

I hope I was clear.

Local Tuya could be the solution what is basically a 3rd party hack, instead of use the official Tuya API.

(Or simply forget Tuya devices and use more generic ones.)

Glad I switched to tuya local during all this mess. Seems to have been the right decision.

Is the Tuya developer trial yearly, or once it’s done, you have to start paying?

Regardless of that question, they have committed to implementing an official local Tuya at some point.

The trial edition is free to use but expires in 1 month. There is a special 6 months extended period on personal requests.

But check out the whole image of the service:

As you can see, all paid subscriptions expires just in 1 years instead of a month, and the smaller one is enough for 10 000 devices. This is why I wrote that the whole developer console and its possibilities are not for end-users but 3rd party developers/developer companies who want to use Tuya API. This is absolutely correct. There is no problem with it.

The problem is that Home Assistant will never pay for it, and we as end-users also will not. The situation is simply not the one what it have to be.

If Tuya really want to close its users into their services offers just paid method to use their API, Home Assistant as a ‘non-profit organization’ will never pay for it and this is the end of the road.

If Tuya could offer a free solution to directly to Home Assistant, that could save us, but if this is somewhere a counter-interest thingie, then this is really the end of the road (I mean the official/proper road). There are always be hacks, but they are usually not reliable for a long time.

But my trial says it expires May 2022 ?

I did sign up a while back , way before this integration to get my keys for Tuya Local.

Maybe the trial is just needed to hook into Tuya, to link your TuyaSmart or Smartlife App and pull in your devices,. Of note, looking at the HA code, there is definitely a HA specific dev api channel.

If anyone’s 1 month trial is up, can you post if it still works in HA?

Hi guys, the slow response issue of Tuya HA integration is been improved, please check if it’s fixed, thanks!

3 Likes

Confirmed. Power Sockets On/Off :+1:

My first subscription was at 10.06.2021. A sadly simply not remember how long was the trial period of the ‘IoT Core’ service then.

Yesterday, when the tipp was appeared, I made a new resubscription, and the result was a 1 month period. This limit is just for the IoT Core service, all my others is valid for 1 year.

Maybe this is a new restriction or I don’t know, but all people who tried the solution yesterday based on Github info got the same result. (As I wrote there is a 6 months extension but just in case of personal requests. I did it but not got it yet.)

Sadly I don’t know more (yet).

Thanks for the update Oliver. I can confirm all Tuya devices for me (lights, switches, dimmer switches, power sockets) seem to working fine again.

I saw in a few other threads people tried to renew their Tuya developer account subscriptions. I didn’t do anything of that. It just started working fine by itself again.

@tjafbe yes, the slow response issue is not related to the Tuya developer account subscriptions. It’s related to the rapid growth of the Tuya Integration developers, which consumes our server resources fastly and result in the slow response. Thanks for everyone’s support on the Tuya Integration product, we have upgraded the server resources, and the issue should be improved now. Sorry for the inconvenience again.

2 Likes

I believe this is a beautiful use case to demonstrate to importance of HA Analytics and demonstrate to vendors the power of the HA community on the need for proper integrations and reliable service delivery :wink:

Hi Oliver!

Thanks for your fast response, and also for your hard works and efforts.

Independently what you wrote could you please explain me how could help the ‘IoT Core’ resubsription from yesterday ‘morning’ on the problem? There were some people who tried it, included me and the result was fine really. After my resubscription all state reports seemed worked instantly while I wrote more reports before about the problem, how the things gone earlier.

I hope you do not misunderstand me, I totally accept your ‘report’ about the situation but it is really interesting that from yesterday morning there were no more problems, instantly after my resubscription.

Could it be your server side changes at the same time period when every relevant people tried to resubscribe?

Thanks for you answer in advance!

I believe it’s related to the server side changes, and glad that the slow response issue is improved now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok, from my aspect the current result is fine. If the reason of that is ‘your changes’, then it’s fantastic, if the ‘IoT Core’ resubscription, then at least acceptable:) and in this case this is not your fault!

Works way better as we speak, thanks for the ones that put in effort !