UK WIFI Smart Socket - Screwfix - Testing

You have to do the following:

1. get the mac address of the device and reserve an IP in your router
  2. delete the device from the BG Home App
  3. Put the wall socket in to AP config mode - short pulse mode
  4. connect to the socket SSID
  5. get the broadlink app open in Home Assistant and provision it with IP - do not hit enter
  6. provision your SSID and PSK in the BG Home app and hit next
  7. hit enter on the broadlink integration in HA

thats it your done

Please note - if you reboot HA you will have to go through this process again as there is no persistance it would appear

Hi thanks for reply - but it kept going offline as well, and was unable to do a firmware update. I got a replacement, and that one did exactly the same - looking online as well they do seem to be very unreliable.

However Iā€™ve now found Zigbee smart sockets, a little bit more expensive but hopefully they workā€¦

https://www.click4electrics.co.uk/click-smart-home-accessories-c-957_1117/click-smart-13a-2-gang-zigbee-smart-switched-socket-outlet-p-10502

Yeah you can use zigbee2mqtt to onboard.

They are not supported automatically, but itā€™s not that difficult a process to add new devices.

I was going to mention these as an option, but I guess you beat me to it

1 Like

And lol - already using zigbee2mqtt, so should be a breezeā€¦

Looks like it should be an easy integration

1 Like

Fantastico!

In App Config mode when I connect to the BG WiFi from the socket the Broadlink app doesnā€™t recognise that I am connected

Just bought one of these to test, was hoping it was going to be an ESP but no luck there.
Anyway I found it quite easy integrating to Homeassistant by doing the following:

1, add it into BG app, call it what you like, where you like.
2, go to the device details in the app and note down the IP address then delete the device from the app
3, set HA Broadcom setup to the IP address you just noted down above and set the time out to a much longer period 30 or 60 seconds.
4, In BG app discover device again and start the setup, HA will then attach to the socket and job done.

I do not have any entries in the BG app and only use HA for the control, I have noticed that HA controls the socket instantly, however if you control the socket on the buttons it takes up to around 60 seconds for HA to receive the status

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Been struggling with this for a long time.

For others reading this, remember to also set your router to use a static IP for the socket once it has registered on your wifi. Saves issues later.

1 Like

HA claims the device is locked and need to unlock it from the app. Canā€™t see any way of doing this (even if deleted from the app).

Do you have the socket registered with the BG app, if so you must delete it from that app for HA to claim it.

Deleted, but still reported as locked.

Try the broadlink app instead of the BG app, this has the ability to unlock the device still.

I came across that issue the first time too, the latest broad link app (which is absolutely terrible) doesnā€™t seem to have this option. Now Iā€™m just getting ā€˜configuration flow is already in progressā€™. No evidence of anything happening though.

This might be my issue too!

Just thought Iā€™d say this fixed things for me. All setup and working now!

Further up someone mentioned that pairing can be lost if HA is restarted. Is this an issue with an old work around or something thatā€™s still a problem?

I had no issues with the configuration being lost after a restart of HA.

I found the ā€œUnit must be unlockedā€ was misleading. It is trying to say it is controlled by another app, so if it registered in the BG or Broadlink app, deleting the unit in the app releases it for adoption by HA. If you are using the BG app to set the IP Access Point and Password, stop when it shows
ā€œSelect a Device to setupā€ (see image below) and at that point return to HA and run the Broadlink integration if it hasnā€™t already found the new device and is waiting for it to be adopted.

I also spent hours trying to find the difference between the 800 series and the 900 series. So far the only differences I can see are the 800 is a slimmer faceplate with rounded corners and the 900 is thicker with square corners and usually Ā£3 more expensive!

In case anyone else is struggling with getting these sockets connected now, I had to force close (swipe up in app switcher on my phone) the BG app when it was in the ā€˜Assign roomā€™ mode in order for HA to pick up the socket without complaining that it setup was already in progress. May be that the latest version of the BG Home app locks put the socket somehow while on that step.

I have struggled to follow all these instructions. But your link to the Broadlink App (above) now clears up so much confusion. I had these sockets working fine for months with HA. Then something lead to me having to start over and I just could not remember how I did it. Your link helped me. Broadlink have changed the name of this app to ā€œBroadlink - Universal TV Remoteā€ā€¦no wonder I didnā€™t download it. When you do its the same as our BG App but with the Unlock switch available (top rh corner 3 dots(ā€¦)>General>Unlock the device- simples!

For anyone this may help.

Ive had the BG Sockets for some time, and used to work fine - until a recent firmware update.

Since the firmware update, the sockets kept disconnecting, and would powercycle. (Assumed this to be wifi however, although it was dropping the wifi, the sockets were power cycling)

To fix this, i had to block internet access for the sockets (so the sockets couldnt call home) - after doing this the sockets stopped rebooting themselves and loosing the connection.

To note, i only ever did the discovery in the BG App, and before assigning it to a room, i stopped there - then added to HA - it worked for a few hours then keep power cycling.

Also there now instant when i turn them on and off using the broadlink integration in HA.

Hopfully this helps someone :slight_smile: