[Under New Management] Interactive history explorer custom card

It is still working without problems.

I really love this card too, honestly it’s one of the core add-ons that makes Home Assistant usable for me.

So I decided to try and fork the library here and hope to continue development:

But I’ve been having trouble figuring out how to actually build it as there’s no automated build, and few notes on how it was built or what versions of dependencies were used.

If anyone wants to lend a hand, it would be greatly appreciated, originally I just wanted to write some additional docs for it, and I’m a bit worried that the lack of build process will be a blocker.

11 Likes

Yes,

Excellent. Good luck, I hope you will get it working. Maybe original author is still available and he could help?

I installed your repo into HACS and then installed the card. It works so far.

I did not previously have the card installed on this machine. So it seems to work.

Not sure what you think needs “building”.

Happy to help. Let us know what you need.

The original author uploaded a copy of the dependencies in the env, which is incredibly helpful!

So yeah, I’m still trying to get the builds to be reproducible, (so that I can modify the source, and then build a new version of the minified output.)
Just trying to test that out, and then hopefully development can continue on this addon

2 Likes

I realized recently that this is an implementation of Chart.js. I know that seems obvious now, but I realized it after I was playing around with a weather chart that uses Chart as well. Extremely well-documented with tons of plugins. I’ve only started playing around with Chart and I’ve been looking to see what I could do with HEC as well.

If people are looking for possible feature requests or development ideas, I’d say going through the Chart documentation and seeing what the capabilities are. That’s probably gives us all a good idea of what the limitations of HEC are without significant development work.

Thanks for looking at picking this up. I’ve been meaning to fork it as well and see what I can do.

3 Likes

Wish you only the best dude!
Maybe to give you peace in the future, I’m also IT engineer and also try to spend my time outside of work doing less techy things. Though I dislike the anger and disrespect you seem to have suffered I still quite like the mainstream approach HA is taking, as much as possible I want and have something requiring minimal time investment that just works and fully local. I’m ready to make many compromised for customization, I was using your card so glad to enjoy the benefits of some few like you who put in the effort I’m not ready to put myself, but I 'm also very fine with not enjoying it especially if it’s a pain for those who build it.
I feel you made the good choice for you and I feel it saddens you, try to get over it, most are taking advantage of HA and never would put the time needed for a custom setup like you’re considering. There’s some truth in their approach and most probably some rightful anger on your side for the behavior of some.
Don’t give up, you seem handy with a keyboard I trust you’ll find something to do that suits you.
And anyway, thanks for all the time spent it was good while it lasted for all of us consumers of your work, noone should begrudge you the need to stop, thanks again and wish you can ignore those who might annoy you in the future.

3 Likes

I wish you the best, and completely understand your decision. I’m 100% positive your home automation solution will be top notch as your talent speaks for it’s self.

Sorry to hear man. Good luck and thanks a lot for this great card. I only found out when I accidently removed it HACS reported it as deprecated… This card is just so functional, it should be default/core functionality.

2 Likes

Don’t forget, it lives GitHub - SpangleLabs/history-explorer-card: A card for Home Assistant Lovelace for exploring the history of your entities interactively and in real time.

11 Likes

I blindly followed the HACS instruction to remove the original card because it has been archived - bad move.

I installed your fork in HACS and downloaded it - good move.
Everything works again - thank you.

Can you explain, what didn’t work before this exchange from original to fork anymore? Even it has been archived, for me it is (currently still) running 1:1 as before.

You could check out the 47 commits since it was forked.

1 Like

Was this an answer to my question “what didn’t work before this exchange from original to fork anymore”? If yes, I don’t get it.

I know the fork. But this does not mean, that anything is not working anymore with the old one. At least as I know, so I asked for examples to check if perhaps here as well.

What I am saying is I don’t know, but the only way to check is if one of @SpangleLabs commits seems to have changed something critical to you.

Foolishly I removed the original because on a restart of HA it showed up as a repair (I think) warning me to remove it as it was archived.

The original was working fine.

To reinstate the functionality I downloaded the fork.

doing so mainly (if not only) reveals repo edits, documentation and some build changes.
As far as I can see, no functionality or changes to the resource files?

Also, since no issues were experienced in the state Alex left it, and HA didnt yet break anything (…) there was no reason yet to change from the original

Hi, can you please explain how you did this. I’m not able to get this in HACS running. Thx

follow this to add repository to HACS…

Use aforementioned “add repository to HACS” steps. The trick for my was to use Lovelace as Category.

Also feel it is sad to see a great contributor leave the community. The History Explorer Card is my goto place when I need to investigate when something operated in an unexpected way.

I hope that the longstanding conflict can eventually be resolved. Sometimes all it takes is meeting each other physically with a nice beer trying to understand each others viewpoint (and possibly) agree to disagree.

For now: thanks @HeyImAlex!!!