Update on the Z-Wave integration · Home Assistant dev docs

Forgive me if it’s been answered, but I didn’t see as I scrolled through.

Will this new and improved Z-Wave system (working with OpenZWave Daemon), allow us to have the Z-Wave controller on a physically different computer?

I have a Razberry GPIO module set up on a Raspberry Pi 3 in one part of my home, but am running HomeAssistant on a Raspberry Pi 4 in a different area. The Pi 4 has a case on it for cooling and mounting, but while it has a GPIO extender built in to get around the fan and heatsink positioning, I’d rather not have the card poking out into the open, especially with 2 curious cats around :grin: :sweat_smile:

Yes.

It communicates over MQTT. The Z-Wave controller can be anywhere on the planet (or off of it, if you have access to a handy space ship) that you have connectivity to.

So looking forward to this :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah since long time Z-wave user, this is what i look most forward to in Home assistant
:+1:

Just got the new z-wave system up and going to test it out, and noticed that it is starting to get merged into the core repo! Thanks for all your work everyone!

Wanted to encourage @mickeprag to continue your work! A future where the one HA integration can work with either the OZW or Z/IP backend would be awesome! You might consider putting a MQTT frontend on your pyzwave work to leverage the work being done on the new HA zwave stuff. I wish I had the bandwidth to help out. Adding ZIP Gateway -> pyzwave -> MQTT broker -> HA would be awesome.

2 Likes

Do we have to do anything to see the new ZWAVE method?

Just update HA when the time comes.

Any estimate on time frame?

Other than when it’s ready? I’d expect we’ll see the first sign of it in 0.110 or 0.111, though the existing integration will remain in place too.

1 Like

There is a beta out there and working perfect for me. I am using Cover, Motion-sensor, Dimmer and Door Window sensor.

Does this also work on a synology nas?

A minor question – I’ve tried current built in ZWave integration in HA, the zwave2mqtt add-on, and now this new pre-release yet to become the default integration. While most of my zwave requirements are only for door locks, and I realize this integration doesn’t yet have door locks programmed, I do see my door locks battery level with this new integration through mqtt.

My big question of the day is, 1) how do you add new zwave nodes with this new integration?

As far as I can tell, there is no way to add nodes or secure nodes through any sort of front end. I assume I have to use a CLI directly accessing the docker container. Can someone point me how to add new zwave devices with this integration?

1 Like

the new integration is still under heavy development. A lot functionality is still missing, but on the roadmap. You can expect some “Adminstration” GUI eventually (either integrated directly into HA, or via ozw-admin)

4 Likes

@Fishwaldo thanks for the feedback, and all of your hard work on OpenZWave, since it appears you’re now the main person driving that project. I look forward to the new integration when it’s complete.

Could anyone please shed some light on which components are needed in the current 101 version to make zwave work? In the HA community addon-store there is Z-Wave to MQTT, in the official addon-store there is an Openzwave, and there is the Mosquitto broker. Among the integrations, there appeared the zwave integration, does it have to do anything with the addons at all? I might not be so knowledgeable, but I find it quite confusing. A single guide would be handy how to set it up properly.
Regards,
Gabor

The regular “Z-Wave” integration is the current integration. All it requires is a Z-Wave usb stick connected to your HA system, but it uses an older version of OpenZWave, so some device support is lacking.

The new integration is “OpenZWave (beta)” in the integrations list, and requires ozwdaemon (OpenZWave in the supervisor addon store) and MQTT to be running. The new component currently has limited platform support. Currently limited to binary_sensor, sensor, switch, and basic dimming lights. Climate just got merged in and should be available in .111. Cover, RGB light, lock, and fan support is still in progress as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation! Actually I have an AEON Stick Gen5, two Range exender 6, and a pile of Sensative Strips Comfort for lux measurement. I had it working with a Vera controller, I built some automations around it to control KNX-based rollershutters. It worked fine, but some time ago the Vera controller started acting very strange, at the and now it looks it’s brick. Now I want to move to the AEON USB stick. The regular zwave integration recognised my AEON Stick and also the range extenders, but I have difficulties adding the sensative strips. I’m just wondering if I should do it with the regular setup or move to the new beta? Please advise!

When the new z wave replaces the old system is it still going to require mqtt?

Seems like an additional component to fail will it be integrated directly into HA when it’s released?

Yes it will require MQTT. The whole thing is built around MQTT to decouple OpenZwave from HASS. Has two main benefits: 1) Zwave network stays up when HASS reboots and 2) faster/easier updates to OpenZwave (straight from developer).

When we fully transition to the new platform, will mqtt allow for light transitions? There appears to be some conflicting statements in the documentation. The below chart says it does not, by default, and the written text says it does.