Update ZigBee firmware using deCONZ on Hass.io

I’ve made the ledvance/osram firmware download script. It is published in a new PR so when merged in deconz 5.1 it will be easier for us to update those devices.

5 Likes

Looking around in the Hassio Add-on/ Deconz-Phoscon 5.1, for the Osram firmware update section. Can’t find it, should I. Or do I have to unplug the USB-dongle, plug it into a PC and use the windows Deconz-program?

To update the firmware you need to access Phoscon using a VNC viewer. You can install a viewer on your Windows PC and get access via the IP and port you can set in the addon. Then you can follow the guide from the Phoscon site mentioned above.

This topic has become more interesting for me with the recent reports of security flaws with the Hue bulbs. Apparently these flaws were patched in the last 2 months, but I added a large number of hue bulbs to deconz farther back that that. It would be very convenient to be able to update the firmware using deconz.

How do you tell if there is a newer firmware version?
I have tried several time to click the query button, and nothing happens - this is weather it is Xiaomi, IKEA or Hue (I’m aware tha Hue firmware isn’t available, but just for the test I tried)

Absolutely nothing happens in the interface, a restart of Home Assistant and Deconz addon did no change

1 Like

It is now possible to do it. Give a look at: GitHub - dresden-elektronik/deconz-ota-plugin: Server side implementation of the standard Zigbee OTA protocol..

1 Like

I already updated 3 Osram Smartplugs and a Tradfri Remote Control via Deconz!

Hi! I tried you guide on adding files to otau folder when using Home Assistant and deconz addon but the file never did show in /data/otau/. This should still work?

With the latest Deconz addon Update, this is not needed anymore!
The files will be downloaded at the start of the addon!

Even with Hue firmware?

No, not now.
The hue plugin is, right now, not part of Deconz. Therefore it is not part of the addon.

If anyone is struggling to update devices, check out this awesome help I got earlier today on Github! I had no idea what I was doing and managed to update two lights and an Ikea dimmer.

I was able to follow the steps just fine, but if anyone needs more help here are the two places I did a bit of searching:

To run the python script with that pulls the update files, I SSHed into the Linux box running Home Assistant, created a directory, cloned the git repo, opened the folder, and ran the script. Example.

mkdir directoryName
cd directoryName
git clone URL TO REPO
cd nameOfGitFolder
python3 IkeaUpdateFileName.py

From that point, I had to enable OTAU updater. To do this, log into the old webUI for deCONZ. You do this at: http://YOUR_HA_IP:DECONZ_PORT/login.html. (http://123.456.7.8:40850/login.html).

The default username there is “delighted” (get it? Because lights!). The password is your deCONZ password.

Hopefully the info here helps others struggling like me!

5 Likes

Thank you!
I struggled to access the old webUI because clicking the link in the addOn (Help -> Old WebApp version Open Wireless Light Control (2016)) only brought me to the new UI, but entering ip:port/login.html with http worked!
Any idea why the OTAU Server setting is hidden like that?

So glad that helped! I have no idea why deCONZ is set up how it is, especially when it comes to OTAU. I’m happy there’s an updater, but something a bit more user-friendly is definitely on my wishlist.

1 Like

Hi All,

I just used this to update my 3 IKEA plugs, it worked flawlessly. I used a test rig with Deconz as my main HA machine uses an HUSBZB-1 stick.

I was wondering if anyone has been able to update any other devices such as lights

Thanks for this… Just wanted to correct something (At least in my situation):

From that point, I had to enable OTAU updater. To do this, log into the old webUI for deCONZ. You do this at: http://YOUR_HA_IP:DECONZ_PORT/login.html. (http://123.456.7.8:40850/login.html 7).

The default username there is “delighted” (get it? Because lights!). The password is your deCONZ password.

username should be: ‘delight’
password: is whatever password you put in the new UI…

2 Likes

Hi

I managed to get the OTAU enabled - so will I need to download IKEA firmware files and place it on the server in order to get devices updated - or will it happen automatically ?

Regards
Brian

If you are using deconz add-on, firmware are automatically downloaded

If I understand this correctly this will only work with the deCONZ GUI?
I have installed deCONZ on a Pi Zero W with Buster lite, so I have no chance to let it work?

I downloaded the OTA files for IKEA with the script from dresden electronics. The are placed now in:

/home/pi/otau

I see that there are three services running on my Pi:

deconz-update.service       loaded active running   deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- Update Service                               
  deconz-wifi.service         loaded active running   deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- WIFI Service                                 
  deconz.service              loaded active running   deCONZ: ZigBee gateway -- REST API                                     

I managed to get into the old GUI and checked this:
otaui

Is it possible to get the update work in this way without the GUI?

If I understand correctly yes: you have firmware for OTA and OTAU is enable. So if you restart your zigbee devices it should start to update.
You don’t have access to the GUI? Available using VNC