Upgrade to 0.86 / Lovelace - Groups are gone

Hi,

I just upgraded to 0.86.4 from 0.85.1 and all my groups are gone, e.g. they do no longer show up in the UI.

Previously it looked like that

but now it’s just like

I did expect that the groups will still be shown, right?
I haven’t seen any errors or warning in the log.

The log says

2019-01-29 16:10:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded group from homeassistant.components.group
2019-01-29 16:10:06 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setting up group
2019-01-29 16:10:07 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded config.group from homeassistant.components.config.group
2019-01-29 16:10:09 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup of domain group took 2.7 seconds.

so I guess it should be fine.
They also do show up under /dev-state.

So am I supposed to rebuild everything? Or how to troubleshoot that?

Thanks!

Update: /states does still show perfectly fine, but /lovelace does not.

Lovelace doesn’t work with groups like the old UI did.

If you run hassio I recommend using this add-on to convert your current UI into lovelace. It worked well for me.

Also, read the Lovelace docs to see how to configure the UI after that.

Am I misreading https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2019/01/23/lovelace-released/ then? It says:

Migrating to Lovelace

You have to do… nothing! If not configured, Lovelace will use the same algorithm to built-up the UI as the old UI did.

Well. Rebuilding the UI is a bit different from “do nothing”

2 Likes

You have to do… nothing! If not configured, Lovelace will use the same algorithm to built-up the UI as the old UI did.

The key part is “if not configured”. Sounds like you have manually configured the UI using groups.yaml.

To achieve the same layout in Lovelace I had to convert groups.yaml, using addon-lovelace-migration I think (not sure why that repo is archived).

I agree this is a bit confusing. For example after migrating to Lovelace what do you do with the old config in groups.yaml? The Group component has no mention of Lovelace.

Yes, groups were configured. So I rebuilt all that stuff manually :wink:

I just have update to Lovelace, so if i understand good, we can make lovelace card to replace our group, and then can we delete group file ?
Can we also delete view file (view is using group file)

Where are configured the view in lovelace ?

I just have update to Lovelace, so if i understand good, we can make lovelace card to replace our group, and then can we delete group file ?

Correct, the equivalent of a group that displayed in the old UI is something like the Lovelace Entities Card. If you only used groups defined in groups.yaml to create cards in the old UI (they are not used in any automations etc.) you can now delete groups.yaml and group: in configuration.yaml (more info).

Where are configured the view in lovelace ?

First enter “Configure UI” mode via the three dots at the top right. Then click the edit icon next to a view:

screenshot