Using HA with a Conventional Alarm System - the best option?

Hi, I’m relatively new to HA but already successfully using it to automate things at home. I’m now looking at what I need from a Smart Home Security Solution, and thought I’d share my thoughts and conclusions. I’m happy for any comments or challenges if anyone thinks I’ve missed something important.

I’ve looked at a few examples of HA-based alarms from the community posts and elsewhere, but feel a security system based solely around a home automation solution (HA or other) is in some ways a backward step compared to a traditional alarm system.

I installed a few burglar alarms (as we call them in the UK) in the 1980s and those old systems had some good features:

• Their own battery-backed power supply, so the alarm was still active even if the property’s mains power was cut off; the external sounder/siren even had a battery so if the scroat breaking into your home ripped the alarm panel off the wall the external sounder would still be activated.
  • Tamper protection on the PIRs, and control panel.
  • Most devices were wired and powered via the security panel. So no device batteries to keep tabs on or replace.
  • High availability:
    • No downtime for software upgrades/patching!
    • No dependencies upon additional components like a WiFi network, Router, Internet connections, or a phone or tablet as a control device; fewer points of failure.
    • Not susceptible to RF blocking hacks.

A security system built solely around a home automation solution lacks these features. For example, simply turning off the home router pretty much nobbles the alarm system. You could work around some of the weaknesses: add battery backup, auto activate the sounder if the HA node goes offline, and generate alerts if an IoT Sensor goes offline. But a) this is a lot of work and introduces cost, b) I can imagine a lot of false alarms: people turning off Smart Plugs in a way they never would a PIR, and c) the HA node / IoT devices needs periodic software updates — requiring a process for avoiding false alarms as devices go offline. All of which is extra complexity.

Primary Conclusion: what I think I need is a hybrid solution — a conventional alarm system which can operate in isolation, but that supports a bridge to HA so that

A. the alarm system can be controlled by HA (e.g. set/unset or activated, by HA via rules / automations) as well as manually,
B. notifies HA when the alarm system has been manually set/unset, or triggered, so a message can be passed onto a mobile device, etc., and
C. information from the alarm’s sensors are passed to HA for automation purposes (whether the alarm is set or not).

Looking around, there doesn’t seem to be that many options (certainly in the UK) for the conventional alarm and bridge components; at least not that support all 3 key requirements: A, B, and C.

• Yale Smart Home seems to have several issues (link, link)
  • Solutions involving AlarmDecoder also seem to have issues, and the device is hard to obtain outside the US.
  • Solutions involving the EnvisaLink device seem to be easiest to implement.
  • The DSC solution involving the ESPHome Device looks interesting. Lowest cost but the most work to implement.
  • A solution based around the Konnected Alarm Panel isn’t a hybrid solution, i.e. if I lost the IP network I’ve lost my alarm, which I really want to avoid.
  • A solution based around Konnected Interface Kit looks very interesting, and it’s great that it will work with any existing alarm, but also seems to require a Konnected Alarm Panel and other components to meet requirements A, B and C.

What appeals most to me are solutions based around the EnvisaLink bridge, but I also like that there is a 2nd option for the DSC alarm (ESPHome Device) which givens me an alternative solution if I have problems with the EnvisaLink bridge.

So at the moment, DSC Alarm + EnvisaLink bridge is what I’m planning to deploy. Note that the DSC Neo family of alarms is not supported by the EnvisaLink (May 2020)

Anyone got any other input I should consider?

Thank You.

Update two months later, I have a working DSC Alarm with an EnvisaLink bridge that I can control via HA.

1 Like

I install several “real” alarm systems. The ones that have their own backup power wise and communication wise.
The one that we use most in combination with automation is Satel, due to its KNX module and many logic functions within the system itself. And luckly it has a great integration in HA: Satel Integra - Home Assistant
This will satisfy A B and C.

@burkep I have an older ‘Yale Smart Home Alarm’ (not the sync version) integrated into HA using the Yale Smart Living - Home Assistant (home-assistant.io)

It fulfils all your asks except for the yale motion sensors not being supported. Here are the expose entities in my system

The door sensors expose data even if the alarm is not set - I use the sensors as part of several HA automations. The alarm supports two states ‘arm home’ and ‘arm away’ but you have to use the yale app to configure wat those states mean.

Hope this helps - any questions just shout

Hi, thank you for the Satel suggestion. It is good to hear about another option. However I notice that on the Satel HA integration page that encryption is not available; not sure if that is due to the Satel alarm or the integration, but that is not a good thing for a security system. I also just tried Satel’s website and it is down, which isn’t giving a good impression.

1 Like

About the site idk, no issues on other days so /shrug
The encryption not working is the integration itself, for example OpenHAB works with encryption turned on just fine. It also supports the ETHM-1 instead of just the ETHM-1+.
Satel being an EU company prob helps with that.

Unless you are worried someone is sniffing packets on your own network (and then you have another problem) the normal integration is fine. Without valid codes you cannot do anything but get status for set/unset alarm and zone status

Konnected offer a pretty good system. I’ve installed 2 units. One of which was the pro. The versatility on the sensors that can be attached and assigned is very good. They also do battery backups.

The pro version can be powered via POE which means if you put a UPS over the router and CCTV NVR, your security is pretty well covered in power loss.

I’ve installed Konnected and wish I went with a larger board to provide more sensors/devices.

I use the sensors to control lighting within the house and as its local control it’s very fast in response.

Not as robust as other options mentioned but if the wiring is already there it’s an option.

I did this.

Hate to dig this up, but could the OP give some guidance on exactly which kit was bought and how it’s going?

The alarm system was a: DSC PC1864 system plus an Evisalink 4 card. And it all works fine.

2 Likes