Using Supervisor on Synology (or how to install Add-ons on Container?)

Hey community,

I’m running the official docker container of Home Assistant on my Synology 918+ (Link to Container). I’ve followed exactly the instructions on the Documentation. But now I wanted to install an Add-on (Node-Red). But I found out, that it’s not possible to install Add-ons inside of Home Assistant, if the version is not an OS or supervisor one. I’ve tried to install the HASS.IO package directly (like in this tutorial), but it’s not working very well on my device. It launches the Home Assistant instance, but all menues are full of bugs and errors.
Is there a way to install the supervisor version on a Synology NAS? Or whats the way to install Add-ons there? I read about installing the Add-ons in docker itself as containers, but I haven’t found a good tutorial for this. How do I find the correct container and how do I connect them to Home Assistant?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Supervisor is supported if you are using VMM and running HA in virtual machine - Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager
But also, you can install Node-Red in Docker.

But what is the correct container? And how do I connect it to Home Assistant?

There are a lot of guides out there - you can check this one, my really old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdgoIdjZtKA

@Raptor05, you can’t run supervisor on Synology’s docker anymore.

Ok, I think it’s really not possible to install the supervisor on Synology… But I’ve installed HACS and found Node-Red there. Is it recommended to use the Node-Red integration from there? Or is it better to search for a docker solution?

1 Like

I’ve answered you this above.
NodeRed in Docker is not same thing as HACS component for NodeRed.

But whats the advantage of using Node-Red in docker instead of HACS?

You can always try and compare functionality - for me biggest difference would be that they are not the same.
Did you read description of HACS component?

Hello,

I am new in the Home Assistant and Linux is not something I dream every day to work with but…

• I have installed on docker (Synology DS218+)
  • It is working great now and I like the integrations I can do
  • So I am a an now and willing to learn a bit more.

Now I would like to have the supervised version but unfortunately it is not possible with Synology Docker.

I can’t install VM on the Synology as it has only 2 GB of RAM, to be able to upgrade I need to pay around 100 USD and I am planning to do it in the next months.

So, I have installed Debian Buster (Gnome version) on a Mini PC (GB Bace 3160) which is anyway staying without any usage now. It has 8GB of RAM but I preferred to install Linux in parallel with Windows (I have SSD with 480 GB and split it in two)

I managed to install HA on Debian with supervised feature and also was able to access the folders with WinSCP.

The system from Debian is currently a backup system in case Synology is failing (a 3rd backup will be Xiaomi Mi Home app as most of the smart gadgets are from Xiaomi).

I would like to know if I can copy the files from Docker HA to Debian HA and have the same automations, devices, etc installed on Debian?

If not all folders are needed, than which one?

Another question: what system you are suggesting to use to be able to access the supervisor as it seems the HA programmers are planning to not support anymore the Debian installations (at least in the future, now is still working).

Thanks.

I’m running into exactly the same problem as @Raptor05. I installed HA on my RPI4, it all works fine, including supervisor. I’m not a extreme computer expert but usually I get to run everything I want/ need with some (online) help but I do not really get my head around the whole HASSIO/ Core/ OS/ Supervised idea. And reading posts and replies from others I’m not the only one. It seems there is a group for who this setup makes total of sense, and a group why is confused. I’m confused here.

I’m installing HA in Docker on my Synology. It runs all fine but I also do not understand why I cannot just get the supervisor tab. I would like to use HA as I use it on my RPI, I think this way is convenient. But apparently this is not possible.

@BeardedConti I watched your video, how you install NodeRed as a separate docker and accessing it on a separate URL etc. Does this mean that I have to install all Addons have in Supervisor → Addons as separate Docker containers and access the functions via their own GUI? So not from the HA? And how do I create a Snapshot that I usually do in Supervisor → Snapshots?

I did manage to install kpine-zwave-js-server as a docker container and integrate this in HA, so do I have to do this with all other add-ons too?

Hope you can enlighten me a bit because I’m still a bit in the dark here :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ok. So I know its a few months later, but since I don’t know if you’ve found your answer, let me try to explain it for as far as I understand this.

To my knowledge the Home Assistant Supervisor is like a docker environment, all add-ons are seperate containers (like you can create in docker). Therefore the Supervisor is not available inside the “Docker” version of Home Assistant.

You can however create every add-on yourself in a seperate docker container. Depending on the add-on you want, it can be very easy or a little bit harder.

I myself am running Home Assistant on a RPi 4 with an external SSD. But since it’s the 2GB model, I seperated most of the add-ons, and am running them inside Docker on my Nas.

I have a few add-ons I can’t yet figure out how to run those in a docker container, otherwise I would have migrated to Home Assistant Core in Docker for more stability.

However, if your NAS supports it. You can install Virtual Machine Manager, and install Home Assistant with Supervisor in there. (Link for tutorial: Install Home-Assistant in a Virtual Machine (VMM) | GH2home)

Hopefully this still helps even though it’s waaaayyy late…

3 Likes

Many thanks for the clarification! What many “professionals” here take for granted (what is actually “Supervisor” and why isn’t it just there in the menu?) is often a closed book for beginners.

2 Likes

You probably didn’t read the documentation:

Here you can see what are different versions and what’s included in each one + plus environments that this can be installed.

Maby I’m blind but I have a hard time to find information about Supervisor panel limitation on Synology NAS and Docker in that documentation. Sad. Docker solutions is otherwise attractive when You have a NAS.

There are two “simple ways”:

But you also have option to:

With following requirements:

2 Likes

Thank you for the answers and your time for a beginner in Home Assistant. I really appreciate it.

I see that your screenshots refer to the Linux version of the instructions, that’s why I did not find the same information. The NAS instructions are under Alternative installations and there is no information about Supervised installation there.

Under hardware requirements, Synology NAS is not listed for Linux so there may be a misunderstanding here.

Although Synology NAS is Linux-based, is it really possible to install Home Assistant Supervised on it via Synology’s SSH?

1 Like

Correct, that’s because Synology is first NAS device and as such is supported as Docker only platform.
And Synology as Linux based machine is not supported because of all of the requirements.

My post was more in line why you can’t have Suprevised, officially, by running just Docker, or by trying direct install on Linux machine.

Remember that Synology is also not listed in alternative Linux installs, but it is supported and works perfectly with VM installation.

Or simplified version for Synology:

• Docker - supported
  • Docker Supervised - not supported
  • python/CLI/direct install on Linux - not supported
  • Home Assistant OS (includes Supervisor) - supported in VMM/VM
3 Likes

Thank you very much for that clarification. It saves me a lot of time as many instructions have been incomplete.
I found your Youtube channel which seems excellent. I will follow it.

1 Like

Beared,
in layman’s words, do you mean we can install HAOS as a docker image in Synology NASses?