Wall box screen controls

Of the links you sent - the ‘video doorbell’ devices look the best.
But I was hoping to find one in the 4" form factor for the secondary spaces.

I like the design of the Lanbon products. If it wasn’t for the tiny and medicore quality screen. Not sure how easy it is to flash them with alternative FW.

That form factor, but with a larger screen would be ideal.

This one would be even better, but does not come with a capacitive touch film:

Very cool, looks like a Grand Designs candidate :slight_smile:

WE LOVE that show! But we don’t have anything that even comes close that level of ‘reality’ in the USA and what it takes to actually make something grand! And there are no big fights on that show, no one would watch it… Nor would they pay to track a project for several years.

We have New Zealand version, recently a husband and wife disagreed on whether they should have a swimming pool. She won, but no blows were traded :slight_smile:

EDIT in terms of converting older spaces, I cannot find the actual episode on line, but this is a 3D tour https://www.threenow.co.nz/tv/grand-designs-nz/home/season-6/360-virtual-tours/grand-tearoom-penthouse.html

It is possible to flash at least one of the lanbon devices, I assume we are talking about the same device as in this thread, where there are links to a review and some alternative firmwares.

These are getting interesting!

Any thoughts on hacking these ‘audio’ players?
I thought I saw one with higher resolution, but the 4" ones seem to be 480 x 480.

Thoughts on hacking them? They are android, with a web browser you should be able to run lovelace or one of the many frontends for HA.

Someone should really do a review or even a list of all the browser based control interfaces.

That renovation - wow! very cool… I don’t see any smart home devices… They put the money elsewhere.

Re Hacking them - that’s where my understanding of them falls short - but sounds like it might be worth getting one to play with.

Yeah I just ordered one, thanks for the pointer.

I’ll let you know in … god knows how long, it’ll take!

Ah yes, exactly, that’s the one. Good to know you can reflash them. Have you tried one of those first hand, and if yes, what are your impressions of it ?

No I haven’t, but @blakadder has published a review.

Yeah I’ve read his review from the thread you linked. But he really focuses on the technical aspects. I was more after subjective impressions about its aesthetics. I thought you might have bought one. The manufacturers images are all photoshop-pimped, so it’s hard to see how it would look in a real home. And it doesn’t look that good in some of the actual in-home photos you can find around the net. Especially the screen quality.

Maybe I should just buy one and see for myself.

There is now a user who has bought one and is happy. See Interesting touch switch lanbon l8

Oh nice, thanks for the heads up. Might ask him a few questions.

I ordered one and they came back and said that they only had gold and white left. I am not sure if it that means they are being discontinued, or what.

PS spotted these screens too

With something like a raspberry pi behind it’d make a suitable console.

Careful with those, they’re using resistive touch instead of capacitive. Typically that means low spatial touch resolution and slow reactions to touch.

It says capacitive, but yeah I don’t hold high hopes for it, I just like to play sometimes.

You and I are looking for the same thing.

Did you ever find something suitable? I have found many promising form factors on Aliexpress, but I’m reluctant to buy anything because I dont know much about Android or if some company’s device based on “Android” or “Linux” would be open enough for me to say delete all their software and UI and get the thing to run Firefox in kiosk mode or run one of those kiosk apps people use with Home Assistant. Or if it would be possible to wipe the device and install a fresh install of Android or a Linux OS.