WallPanel for Android Redux

I’ve just sent a feedback report with Android, I don’t know if you receive these reports

I do and I also have my own crash reporting. I think I may have solved the issue and will post an update soon.

Please give v0.8.1-beta.7 which is rolling out on Google Play now or can be downloaded from the Github project page.

Please give v0.8.1-beta.7 which is rolling out on Google Play now or can be downloaded from the Github project page.

I seem to be having an issue where the motion sensor state is not going back to clear after a period of time. This doesn’t happen all the time however.

I’ll check it out. I also want to add a setting for the reset time. It should wait a set amount of time before clearing and be user adjustable in the settings. I want it to fear after 1 or 2 minutes for example.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Thanks.

Well done, the new WallPanel looks perfect, just installed from the Google Play. I havent used Android for a while, I’m a regular iOS user now and I think the HA standard GUI loads to slow on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. I had HADashboard loading pretty quickly but prefer standard HA UI.

What is the minimum Android Tablet spec you recommend for a HA dashboard with standard HA UI?
I live in Brazil so will probably buy the Tablet on Aliexpress as we dont have easy access to Amazon Fire or any of those usual cheap tablets.

Any recommendation really appreciated. Thanks.

The issue is tablet specifications vary so much. You have to be especially careful when buying any off-brand tablets from Aliexpress. Maybe try to match the specifications of an Amazon Fire tablet with new Android version, sensors, and camera. I live in Argentina, so I know how expensive quality tablets can be. You might also try kiosk mode for HA and see if that works better, same HA url with /kiosk on the end.

That was the idea, look for a similar tablet in terms mainly of CPU/RAM/flash. Tried kiosk mode with no big improvement. Will try a tablet on Ali and will tell you the result. Thank you.

I haven’t seen the behavior yet. I checked to be sure I wasn’t setting retain on the mqtt message. It could be some logic issue in the app. I just rewrote that part so the clear time for motion detected is configurable now (default 30 seconds). I will push out an update and let’s see what happens.

There are also some other UI options for HASS, maybe the new Lovelace will improve performance on older devices. Basically the application uses the devices WebView to display the website. So if its slow for you in your Android browser, it will be slow in the app. The application may also have some overhead from using the camera, you can disable the camera to test or just use motion detection and nothing else.

One thing that I noticed is that my Ring Camera image is not loading on WallPanel, the same for a media player component and they load without problems on Chrome in the same Android device.

Do they have WebView in the Play Store for your device? You might be using the legacy web browser due to your Android OS, it won’t be the same as Chrome. Which version of Android are you running? On Android 5.1.1 I can see my Nest cameras and MJPEG streaming cameras. I haven’t tried on lower Android versions yet so see if there are browser issues. You could try changing the browser settings to use Android WebView instead of automatic to see if it works and if it helps.

I thought I saw an issue when I had the device unplugged and no screen saver, but it appears to be working at least with the new code. I will continue testing before I release anything.

1 Like

Won’t be able to test over the weekend but looking forward to the update.

Great, now WallPanel is running without crash.
In the next days I’ll test it.
Thank you

I can confirm that it no longer crashes on Android 4.4.4 (tested on Nexus 7 and Huawei Medipad). Even with camera enabled, device is somewhat usable with TileBoard.

I am writing this on an onda v10 4g, which i bought as a general purpose tablet for web browsing etc. They are about US$130.

It loads the HA front end pretty quickly in wallpanel. That is while chrome with 6 or 7 tabs open in background. 2G ram, 8 core, android 7, 10 inch screen. Light and magnetic field sensors seem to be exposed in wallpanel, but not humidity, pressure or temp. Have not tried the camera yet.

1 Like

Started to use Tileboard as opposed to Dashboard but noticed some redraw issues, with the type.

As you can see the text in some areas is not clear, this doesn’t show when on desktop (Safari) but only in WallPanel and the built in browser.