[WARN] Home Assistant CLI is not running! Jump into emergency console…

After installing the latest update (Cannot remember the version number), I get this - nothing to connect to, the dockers don’t seem to have loaded, just a very light shell with nothing seemingly there. ‘login’ produces the same error.

Are there any logs I can look at on this prompt or is all the useful information hidden away in these slow-to-load inefficient docker blobs that I can’t get access to?

Well, I gave up and decided to install HA on raspos instead. At least this way I have some recovery options and might be able to get HA to talk to devices properly.

Perfect !
Thanks a lot

How to eliminate the need of typing login ? I need to do that each time I start VM

Hi @all.
I have same problem when I install HA on 128G USB drive. But, if I install 32G, 64G usb drive that didn’t happen this error.

How can I fix it?

I am wondering the same thing…
It seems a bit nuts if I have a power failure and I’ll need to get into the nas to type login on the console…
if anyone have a solution I be I’m not the only one having this problem…

It still works without “login” correct? If you wait

Thanks so much for this! I had to reboot my NAS and although the VM manager restarted the VM OK it seemed to be getting stuck at this point - login and return did the trick!

Thanks so much for this! Login in was a big help!

1 Like

how did you connect to keyboard guys?

I am running a vm in synology. VM manager connect to VM

“Login” Also did the trick for me. I even have the add sotore working now, previously completely blank.

I also encountered the same problem. I installed it in Virtualbox version 6.1.32. Because the previous update caused system damage, I reinstalled it once, but it kept prompting this problem, even if I log in based on other people’s input or modify the DNS, it doesn’t work. This problem still occurs

Same issue randomly appearing this morning on Virtualbox VM.

• Typing “login” only brings back the same error a few seconds later.
  • Web UI is not available - neither via IP nor via homeassistant.local:8123
  • Tried restoring from an older snapshot - same issue
  • Checked, both the host machine and the VM receives an IP from the router and shows up as online

What is left? New installation?

Hello guys, any update to solve this issue definitely? It happens to me so often and I usually have no keyboard and monitor attached to my raspberry with HAOS. It’s so annoying!

Thank you so much for posting this! I spent so much time trying to make a supervised version work on my synology NAS. Ended up giving up for a bit and doing a docker solution, which I regretted quickly. Now I have it working because of you.

@bkhalterman, how did you accomplish the supervised installation on synology NAS?

Very funny. I have flashed the OS 12. I got the same sympthoms (“Home Assistant CLI not starting jump into emergency console”) flashed it again, etc. did not work. FInally I found this old topic, gave a try and it worked. Now I am doing the install as the system is responding. Thanks a lot, typing the “login” worked for me, too.

Hey, all… your mileage may vary… but I landed on this thread tonight after a home network reconfigure changed my IP space from 192.168… to 10.0… the static IP needed updated. A simple thing that really shouldn’t have caused this much grief.

After doing so successfully using nmcli… I got this thread’s dreaded hiccup. The “LOGIN” hint above was magical, thanks the the commenters here with the legendary advice!

For me… the cause was other errant ipv4 settings that also needed correction.

Changing the IP adds one, doesn’t delete the old one. AND I couldn’t get the bug here to clear until I reset the dns too. Again, your mileage may vary, but I wanted to add to this golden thread at least one data point on how one user got the cli login hangup to clear.

For me:

Login
nmcli connection show
nmcli con mod “my connection name” ipv4.addresses “10.0.0.3/24”
nmcli con mod “my…” -ipv4.addresses “192.168.1.3/24”
nmcli con mod “my…” ipv4.dns 10.0.0.1

Once I got through that, and did a reboot… I could at least get the cli to load. App was able to connect again after changing ip, but all my settings were lost… and the supervisor still won’t load… so I have other issues yet to fix, but the cli loaded.

Hello,
Just resolve my issue with the action bellow if I can help some of you.
On CLI I disable IPV6 method on my interface enp0s3 and reload network services.
After this I can do a login again and it’s work.