WARNING! Do not update websocket to 0.61.1 with Add-on version: 16.0.2

Rolling back to websocket-0.59.0 saved our lives “for now”.
What is not clear to me is whether the home assistant node has actually been deprecated or whether it is an update problem.
Because in the first case I think it is enough to wait for future versions, in the second I suppose it is necessary to replace the functions …

D.

This is an uncommon and temporary issue potentially affecting only anyone with Node-RED as an HA addon, using the HA WebSocket nodes.

IF you have Node-RED as an HA addon,
AND you either manually update WebSocket nodes from the palette
OR you make a new Node-RED addon installation

THEN you will pick up the latest version of the WebSocket that will not work with the current Node-RED version in the addon.

Solutions are:

• don’t update manually (if you do, then above is a work-around to reverse this)
  • install the latest Node-RED addon, and then downgrade the installed version of WebSocket nodes to something that is compatible with the Node-RED in the addon
  • don’t use Node-RED as an addon, and update both Node-RED and the WebSocket nodes together

I can confirm that 0.62.2 works perfectly with Node-RED 3.1.3 as an off-HA install on a Raspberry Pi.

Clear
TnX for clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

now there is 17.0.0 of node-red dare you update?

I see, don’t know if could be a good idea updating … I’ll give e change tomorrow (after system snapshot) …

D.

I’ll giv e it a try… the changelog mentions it has updated to node-red 3.1.3:

⬆️ Update node-red to v3.1.3 @renovate (#1761)

Keep you posted.

Upgrade seems to be working correctly, with the home-assistant websocket 0.62.2:

Looks good to me!

I confirm. looks good to me too…

1 Like

Same here: updated to Node-Red 17.0.0 and restarted home assistant and node red - all nodes and flows loaded fine now. Thanks developers!

1 Like

I updated to v 17.0.0 and my node red was not happy with an Unknown api-call service. After downgrading websocket to v 0.59.0 it was working correctly. I have verified that I am running Node-RED version: v3.1.3 but with websocket v 0.62.2 I have this issue. The procedure above using websocket v0.59.0 makes it work but I would really like to get v0.62.2 working and would love any help from the group here.

Thanks a lot for figuring this out and sharing it. Saved me perfectly. :slight_smile:

HI!

can you share a bit more about what’s happening?

• Which API call is failing?
  • What is the error being returned?
  • Do you know on which node it is happening specifically?
  • Have you tried turning off all you flows that are using the websocket, and re-enabling them one-at-a-time to pinpoint where on which flow it starts failing?

or is it that the websocket node is sending you an error on initialization and all your flows stop working?

Thanks,

G.

I had to downgrade websocket because The api connection to Home assistant is lost so all home assistant items such as “event state” display api-error and are pink stating “unknown: api-call-service” throughout all nodes. If I revert back to v0.59.0 everything comes back. I just tried today to update to v0.62.3 and get the same result. Downgrading my websocket fixes my issue. Are there logs that you need to investigate this?

Do just check your HA is updated, and also your Node-RED companion integration.

I have just updated everything and it all appears to be fine.

WebSockets Version: 0.62.3
Home Assistant version: 2024.1.2
Companion version: 3.1.3
Node-RED version: 3.1.3

Add-on version: 17.0.1
Home Assistant OS 11.4
Home Assistant Core: 2024.1.2
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.12.0
Node-RED version: v3.1.3
WebSockets Version: 0.59.0 Because 0.62.3 fails for me and so did 0.62.2

In Configuration nodes The server connection shows:
“This node is a type unknown to your installation of Node-RED” using v0.62.3
Where with v0.59.0 it displays my home assistant name.

1 Like

Add-on version: 17.0.2
You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 11.4 (amd64 / qemux86-64)
Home Assistant Core: 2024.1.2
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2023.12.0
Node-RED version: v3.1.3
Node.js version: v18.19.0
Linux 6.1.71-haos x64 LE
Node-RED Contrib Theme Collection version: v3.1.8
Dashboard version 3.6.2
node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket 0.59.0

Not using Node-Red Companion since this is an installation of HAOS with Node-Red addon not via HACS.

Nothing I can find in the logs that show a problem when using 0.62.3. It just fails to communicate with HA after updating to it and restarting Node-Red as instructed thus anything using the websocket like Home assistant current state of a sensor will have the error as in the picture near the beginning of this thread showing “unknown: api-call-service”.

1 Like

I had a similar issue. It would connect on an initial launch after a reboot of HA but after I clicked out of NR and went back in, it didn’t show connected and I couldn’t enumerate any domains/services. Nothing in the basic logs showed an issue.

After some playing around, I realized I had two Servers listed in NR (from a previous import) and once I disabled the older one, things started working as expected.

HTH.

For those running NR in a docker container, downgrading node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket to 0.59.0 is a quick fix that worked for me:

1. Open a shell into your NR container, then:
$ npm uninstall node-red-contrib-home-assistant-websocket
$ npm install [email protected]
  1. Exit the container, then restart it:
    $ docker restart <container_name>

2. Reload your browser.

You might have to switch to the data directory first before executing the above commands. Example:

docker exec -it your_nr_container_name /bin/bash
cd /data

When going to ip:1880 I get:

going via the addon:

it keeps loading every ~1 second bottom lines with “red.min.js:16 (websocket)”

We’re experiencing continuous WebSocket reconnections (red.min.js:16) in the developer network tab when using Node-RED as an addon in Home Assistant OS. The issue likely stems from a misconfiguration or conflict with WebSocket handling, such as ingress proxy settings, authentication, SSL, or network timeouts. Direct access works fine, but the problem occurs via Home Assistant’s interface.

What next and where to ask for help?