Wear OS home assistant control

Yea it does look interesting, it isn’t available on any device yet but would give us time to start considering the flow of things and what to show on the tile. Off the top of my head maybe more info entity panel? But it might get a bit out of hand in the add tile screen lol. Lots of things to consider but open to any ideas.

https://developer.android.com/training/articles/wear-tiles
https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2021/03/creating-custom-tiles-on-wear-os-by-google-with-jetpack-tiles.html

just to get a few ideas going :slight_smile:

1 Like

It keeps crashing.

I put my instance https://myaddress. and… it crashes…?

This was one year ago?

Wear OS support still underway in the official app, there have already been more PR’s merged and one existing one open. Not sure when it will be out but its still coming.

2 Likes

No official announcement had been made yet but for the curious we now have a new docs section. :wink:

1 Like

I joined the beta program specifically to test this out. I was able to add my server and see my scripts/scenes. I managed to turn on some lights from my watch when I woke this morning :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi, I’m interested too to control my HA with the Wear OS (3 in my case).

Wear OS app is now available. It supports scenes, scripts and lights.
Screenshot_20211023_204356_android

1 Like

Other than the pain of trying to enter a long complex password… and took way too many attempts haha It’s working quite well, thank you for keeping at this! I think one feature I’m hoping for (not sure if possible) is to be able to display images via the notification service. Thank you for adding WearOS support!

it should just work it seems, I believe its part of the relay

Picked up the latest beta this morning and it feels like a bit of a regression (sorry)

There is now a lag whilst it loads all my entities
The first thing it shows me is my input booleans (Which aren’t really that interesting)
I have a long list of lights and switches (The bezel on my GW4 doesn’t scroll them - not sure if it ever did)
Pressing the light/switch does’t actually toggle it

I realise this is a work in progress and I do appreciate the effort. LMK if you want me to log any of these as bugs/RFEs on github.

1 Like

So the reason for this lag is because we have switched to using Jetpack Compose which is brand new for Wear. I have a PR up to add favorite entities which will be loaded as soon as the app launches. If you notice subsequent reloads shows the loading screen much faster than initial app launch. That screen is where favorites will be shown at the top, and will remain at the top when the rest of the entities load. Compose makes life a lot easier to develop UI’s and it also fixed a bug in the previous design where if a user did not have a script the UI would not look right. The Compose library is still in alpha so hopefully as it picks up the lag should be gone, its getting near weekly updates from Google. The favorites feature should help minimize this though.

Depends on who you’re asking. The idea was to add all toggleable entities as we had a request for the others. Input booleans are at the top for now because alphabetically they are first. Once the app gains area support we will probably switch from domains to areas.

The bezel is waiting for Google to update the API so it can work as the API is brand new. Once implemented it will be added. They did provide a workaround so we may look into that but Google has already accepted the request to bring this back so we may just wait. The favorites feature should also help relieve this I hope.

We need device logs for when you click on the toggle. The call is stil the same but the toggle itself updates in about 3-5 seconds depending on network connection. Basically we call the service, then ask HA for an entity state update twice. Some devices done update right away, if there is any lag there its due to the slow connection of the watch. During testing it took a few seconds to toggle on an off.

Always log bugs and enhancements on Github so they dont get lost please.

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply @dshokouhi I think the favourites feature will help alleviate this as would Wear OS - expand/collapse category lights, scripts, swithes, etc. · Issue #1880 · home-assistant/android · GitHub to be able to collapse/expand sections.

I think I was being impatient with the light toggle test, I’ve since got it working :slight_smile:

1 Like

yup this was a great request :slight_smile: something I thought of previously but I felt the favorites was a bit more important to work on due to the nature of a wearable. The existing design was kept in place for the switch to Compose with the addition of some domains.

We can probably also add a splash screen to improve the cold start experience.

I think once the app gets websockets support these updates should be quicker. Currently we wait for the watch to receive the list of entities as the app uses the REST API. Thank you for the beta feedback its always appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

Have a Galaxy Watch 4 and at the moment when starting the app I see the splash screen for a second and then it closes. I’ve restarted the watch incase that helps but no change.

the latest beta version on google play has a bug…its since been fixed in the latest beta found on github…this version will also push to the play store on Saturday. You are free to sideload the APK off the github release tab for now.

1 Like

Just got the latest release, and I’m not able to log into my instance. Is this compatible with two factor authentication?

known issue, for now temporarily disable mfa so you can login then you can enable it again

Hi,

First let me say that HA and the people behind it never cease to amaze me. Now the Wear OS app! Incredible.

I’ve managed to log in, set Favorites and it’s working great, but I have a problem with tiles. Even though I have configured the shortcuts, the tile screen looks like this:

Screenshot_20211122_093440_sysui

Any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

EDIT: It’s Galaxy Watch 4 btw. Could it be related to the crash bug? I can simply wait until I get an update with that fix.

What’s the complaint here ? Those are the wrong entities entirely or that the icons are wrong ? I seem to recall you need an icon assigned to whatever you choose to display on the tile. It’s working for me on GW4 BTW (latest beta from play store, I’m not side loading)