Weather station recommendation?

Might check the 1550 then: https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1500.html

This one, like the 1401 create a webpage on your network and feeds directly into HA. The outside services are all optional. I went ahead and integrated all of it and contribute to the network of sensors but you do not have to.

My HA readout is pretty plain but you could make guages and more:

1 Like

I’ve had a 1550-IP for a couple years now. Other than rebooting the Observer occasionally, it’s been solid. I export data to Ambient and Weather Underground. I use the Ambient sensors for near real-time stuff and Weather Underground for forecast information. The web page generated by the Observer doesn’t include forecasts and requires scraping to capture the data. Some have intercepted the Weather Station broadcasts with an RF dongle and used various methods to move the data to HA. Your skill level and curiosity will determine your solution.

1 Like

Thanks! I like the idea of the 1550-IP. I notice it’s a much bulkier sensor array than the older WS-1401-IP. That one had everything molded in so it was all one compact unit. This one looks more fragile, with three plastic arms reaching out to hold the sensors. I’m considering something like this on my boat, so it would be on a mast where space is at a premium and a rugged design is important.

My last Ambient system just died this month, after over 10 years of flawless service, so I’m OK with that brand. However, I see others by La Crosse and AcuRite which appear more compact.

Anyone integrate either of those into HA?

1 Like

Maybe these links are interesting for you, although they are in German:

https://www.stall.biz/project/weatherman-edition-die-ultimative-wetterstation-fuers-smarthome
https://www.stall.biz/project/weatherman-die-perfekte-wetterstation-fuer-die-hausautomation

even 1.5 yrs later, still shipping within U.S. only. :frowning:

Hello Guys,
As far as I know, the Weather Underground service (WU, now IBM business?) is giving free tokens to anyone, who is sending local PWS data to them. At least I do have one free key (so I think the offer still exists). This can be used to connect HA to the service.
So one option is any PWS, that’s WU compatible. I have a very old WH-1080 compatible station bought from Conrad, 4-5 years ago but still working, that’s having a USB connector on the indoor unit, I connected it to an OpenWRT router to periodically read, and send/upload the data to WU. (If it stops sending, they even warn me.) But there are newer models, which have WiFi interface, that can perform the data sending directly.
The other option is to read the outdoor unit’s RF(433?) signals directly, and use a local receiver to convert them to HA sensors. In this case You should focus on the RF standard used, there are some units out there (like Oregon Scientific) which are having their complete protocol description shared to public (see wmrx00 on sourceforge).
And there are the cheapest DIY units as well, the sensors (like Temperature and Humidity) are extremely cheap. However the rain and wind sensors are more complicated to create, so maybe the best is to buy a cheap one instead, if a full weather station is needed.
The Netatmos and some others are extremely expensive… (however maybe possible to add features one by one).

hi @Malaka
Thanks for the links. The weatherman 2 looks very interesting. Did you try it? Is it reliable?
How easy it is to use with HA?

Thanks,
Alex

No, not yet. Project for next year :slight_smile:

@jwoodard80 Thanks for your review! very helpful and I totally get where you’re coming from with that. Because of it I will not be buying anything from them.

1 Like

I would look at the ecowitt items… it’s made by the same parent company.

I’m using an Ecowitt HP2551 and am pretty happy with it. Good price and an easy install too.

I didn’t use the HA community integration since it was easy to surface of all of the sensors in Node-RED. Right now, may station feeds both HA and Weather Underground. I tried getting it to work with Cumulus MX (to feed PWS Weather for my Rachio irrigation system) but couldn’t get that whole mess to work. Not a critical item though.

As a bonus, I use the UV radiation data to help dynamically tweak some of my internal / external lighting automations on really gray days.

1 Like

Hi to everyone and sorry to come back to this old thread but I’m in need of some help :slight_smile:
I’ve installed the program mentioned by tube0013 on a beaglebone black running debian 11 and it seems to work fine, what I don’t understand is how I would have to use the mentioned script to publish in MQTT the decoded results.
Many thanks for whatever I can get, Federico

I finally decided to build my own weather station based on standard components: DIY Zigbee weather station

1 Like

Hi, maybe someone will be interested in that, i found software for weather station it’s name Cumulus MX, and it could be integrated with many weather station’s. Also it can export data to many weather systems, also it can send data via MQTT. I think it could be best project to extend integration to HA.
https://cumuluswiki.org/

I just bought a Sainlogic ws3500 and I couldn’t be happier with the results on HA

I integrated it via HACS with the Ecowitt repo and it gives you 35 entities!! Not bad at all. It also gives you the option of changing from miles to kilometres per hour etc…

INDOOR dewpoint ?

1 Like

Don’t ask me!!! Ask them hehehe

On the other hand, let’s think about it… if you have condensation problems it could be helpful, no???

Indoor Dewpoint is a better gauge of Absolute Humidity if you don’t have ‘Absolute Humidity’. If you want to determine if the outside air is dryer than inside air in the winter then the best way is to compare dewpoints. You could have 50% humidity / 70F inside and 98% humidity / 40F outside and the air outside is actually drier, so you can open your bathroom window to lower humidity.

Ditto :slight_smile:
Home automation is one things but environmental basics (aka quality of life) are another…
Thanks for educating us, JR

I’m sure most here know this already, but for any new users looking at this, I wanted to point out that adding lots of entities can have a down side. If you don’t manage your Recorder settings (purge_keep_days, exclude, etc.) then you can seriously impact the size of the database. Excessive database I/O and size can kill a lower-end implementation, like on a Raspberry Pi with an SD card.