Weekly Schedule Helper improvements

Love the new weekly schedule helper. Could we perhaps get some enhancements like:

1. A Scheduler card for displaying and setting schedules.

2. Finer grained control. 30 minutes is too coarse to be of any use for my irrigation control. EDIT: work-around is to trigger at the schedule on time and use a timer.

3. Services for altering the schedules programmatically.

A Schedule card would be great for my non-tech family members to give them control over schedules.
Also, if you could pass parameters such as temperature or light level then it would be an excellent general purpose scheduler.

2 Likes

The developers specifically stated that it was impossible to do everything people wanted to do with a scheduler. So they made it a simple on/off state based on time, and if you want anything fancier you have to automate it yourself.

Understood, it’s impossible to provide for all use cases and your suggestions would certainly be a big improvement.
However, I’m struggling to see how to create an automation that uses the schedule to adjust a thermostat temperature during the day without it becoming very complicated.
Still, it’s a step in the right direction.

1 Like

Start a topic asking for that rather than taking this one off-topic and I’ll show you how I do it.

1 Like

That’s very kind of you, thanks! https://community.home-assistant.io/t/using-the-new-weekly-schedule-helper-to-control-temperature/458880

In addition access to the full schedule and trigger when the user updates it would be great

It would be even better to being able to set what state a timeframe should be. this way you can make multiple time blocks in the schedule helper and set a state for each block.

By the way, nothing is impossible. its just allot of work that they are not willing to spend the time on.

Thanks Tom, I was just about to ask for the same thing and this post popped up. I also love this idea of a weekly schedule helper and yes with some small tweaks it will be perfect.

1. Maybe the same as Tom if I am understanding correctly, double click time, then a pop up card to adjust the time then click save. This will help when using phone app as it is near impossible to set the time when using the phone app.
  2. Like Tom said. 30 minutes blocks are not what we are use to in HA (full control). I would say down to 1 minute to line up with HA as it checks every minute. This is realy a no brainier.
  3. Not sure what Tom asking for here, but I am sure once developed will make sense.

Thanks Tom for requesting this feature request. I would like to use this helper in a blueprint but it needs a bit of work first. I am sure the HA team will see this as a no brainier and with their programming skills it will be an easy upgrade.

3 Likes

I love the schedule helper! I am literally rewriting many of my scripts that had hard-coded times in them to use the flexibility of that helper!

I agree that 15 minute increments would be much more helpful. That’s a great recommendation!

1 Like

+1

I need the 1 Min. resolution for schedules too.
To keep the effort minimal, please add at least a toggle to configure the schedule in yaml.

+1
Finer grained control would make the schedule helper far more useful. I hope this will get implemented someday.

1 Like

Extra features wanted:

Ability to not only schedule fixed times but also schedule based on:

• sun elevation times: dark/night , light/day, sunrise, solar noon, sunset, nadir
  • an addition or a substraction of “randomized minutes” to the scheduled times (fixed- or sun elevation times) so it is not too obivious that it is a programmed scheme.

Tip: Scheduler Card & Custom Component

Scheduler Card & Custom Component

In de mean time: a very nice addon for schedules that already features the ability to edit the schedule in de frontend is: Scheduler Card & Custom Component. It was developed by @neliss

For me Scheduler Card & Custom Component has a steep learning curve, but I currently prefer this custom component above the scheduler helpers. It is able to schedule on sun elevation times and has a fair kind of front end editing of the schedules. It lacks the weekly grid kind of schedule that the schedule helpers have.

Images of Schedule Integration:

If a state could be added to each of the blocks, it would work as a heating scheduler as well. ie click on each block and set the required temperature. The schedule entity state would not be on or off but the set temperature. If there is no block then it would be off.
The default could be left as on

It’s unlikely that any of that will be added to this very simple schedule helper as they can all already be used as triggers in your automation along with a state trigger for the schedule helper.

1 Like

I can see why you want this but I don’t think there is any interest in making it happen, especially changing the simple on/off state.

I’ve worked around my need for finer grained time control by only using the schedule on times to start my irrigation. It is turned off by a timer.

Still missing a simple way to edit the schedule from a dashboard card.

1 Like

You could edit the schedule file in \config.storage to your own times .
this worked for me.

I’m not sure who you are replying to but don’t do that. There is no need at all.

The storage registry is not supposed to be user editable and that is far more likely to end in disaster than just editing the times from the more-info pop-up, or using yaml.

It would be nice to be able to edit the times directly from a dashboard card rather than having to drill down into the more-info pop though. That is what this FR is about.

No longer.
I mean it is working, but since I can’t open my existing schedule via the gear icon nor create new ones.
I don’t know when it stopped working but it doesn’t in 2024.2.1
Sad :frowning: