What mesh wifi to consider in 2024?

I’m binge-watching videos about Omada SDN. Is it only cloud based or is it possible to use it locally? I don’t like to have critical info such as all my devices, clients, visited sites in a database of a hackable company (even if my network is hackable too, I know)

1 Like

There’s really not that important if voltage is 110 or 220V, the point is that powerline adapters are unreliable, at least from my experience. In Europe we also have multiple phases, 3 to be exact, plus neutral: 3x230V, (against 2x110V in US), so the chance that one part of powerline adapter will be on a different phase that other (this is what stevemann was trying to say, i think) is even bigger. I tried quite a few of those, some of them were pretty expensive, but none of them reliable on a long term.
Just one example: 100€ worth adapter’s connection died the moment i turned on Chinese led light wire (even if lamp was on a different phase!) and was restored when i turned it off. So, a small thing like non-protected (against noise) cheap Chinese led lamp can do havoc…

But,

Here is where i’m “concerned”… this router is history for … i guess a decade now… it was a brilliant router those days, but it’s time has looong gone. So, first thing to do is to replace that ancient model with anything newer. When i ditched it i experienced a massive improvement in my network (better response time, faster loading…).
And, also forget that any provider’s router is better than average. They tend to provide cheapest models available. Sure, on paper theirs’s data sounds excellent. Sadly only on paper…
I think that in networking world still goes that more expensive = better, or with different words: you get what you buy.

I very well know that it is. I digged it out because of my WiFi issue to extend the range while looking for a new setup.

In Belgium, where I live, the standard installation is 40A single-phase 230V.

You can ask for a different setup but 80% of the country is using that one.
Other solutions being single-phase or three-phase 400V (with or without neutral for the later)

EDIT: I got your point thou for the ethernet over powerlines but I never experienced any issue with mine. I was using some Belkin that died eventually after a few years and I’m using Devolo dLan 550 duo for 6 years now without any issue.

That’s interesting… how do you connect heat pump (for house central heating) then? Pretty much all heatpums (in Slovenia) require 3phase system (since they are 6kW+). For standalone houses we usually have 3x20A or 3x25A, if we have heatpump then it can be even 3x35A.

Well, just bear in mind that that router doesn’t know “n” wifi protocol, only b/g… it’s theoretical speed limit is 54MBit/s, practical way less… (it’s enough for iot, though…)

I have 2 on my rooftop, single-phase, on 2 16A circuit breakers, 300mA residual current device on my 40A electric meter (you can ask for 50A or 63A too)

I know, I know. But it is to provide WiFi to the kids on the second floor, no big deal for now and will be solved with my new setup :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you have coaxial going to each room you can look into MoCA adapters, they use the preexisting cable as if it was pre-ran ethernet in the walls.

I would advise this route until you decide to run dedicated lines to each room if you need to keep things separate, ie for hdmi extenders etc that can’t be run on the same overall network as IP based devices.

From there you just connect your Access point device via a switch to have your wired backhaul and setup your mesh nodes in places where you can not run the dedicated lines for the backhaul.

Power line networking is highly dependent on the quality of the circuit in the home between the two points and is best used directly not going through any power strips.

No, I don’t, the house is from the 60’s, in those days, only one coaxial outlet was available for the TV in the living room, it was not even a thing to have more than one TV in those days here in Belgium.

The electricity was completly redone (is it a verb?) in 2010, it is very good, it was extended last year to include solar panels and this year with the new floor. Everything is reachable from everywhere without any issue which allow me to think about my new setup peacefully :slight_smile:

Then powerline for the non critical network points should be fine, you may need to powercycle them every so often if they loose sync between each other.

Just make sure as stated they are on the same circuit for best results when plugging them in and setting them up where you want to use them.

It is a temporary solution, like my old Linksys. But for now it does the job while analysing/buying new devices.

This is my equipment list:
ER7206 Router
OC200 Omada Hardware Controller
EAP-610 Access Point (2)
EAP-615-Wall Access Point (2)
TL-SG1210P 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
TL-POE10R PoE Splitter

I’m not sure I understand the question. The Omada series have a lot of options, mostly for the business user.

WAN1 is the default WAN. The Omada ER7206 router has multiple WAN ports so that you can have a backup Internet connection. Expensive for the home user but essential for a business.

The fiber box (fiber-in, Ethernet-out) is called an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) and is the fiber equivalent of a Modem. In this image the ONT/Router is represented by the globe at the top.

The SDN, or Software Defined Network is basically how you configure your devices (router, switch, access points, etc.) The controller is entirely optional. The cloud SDN, also optional, is great for the corporate structure where you may have networks in multiple buildings. I started with the SDN software running on a Raspberry Pi. I needed a Pi for another project and loaded my Amazon cart with a Pi4, case and power brick. The total was well over $100, so I deleted the cart and bought the OC-200 controller ($100). I’m glad I did. If you are on a tight budget, you can manage each device individually by putting it’s IP address into a browser.

You also have to slightly modify your terminology use. I have over 100 WiFi things in my home, but they are all “clients” to Omada. Devices are their parts. Router, Switch, EAP, etc.

Keep it or sell it on eBay. The WRT54 routers are very hackable (the good hack). Many have installed Tomato software on them and turned them into managed routers or access points. But in it’s factory mode, this is going to be a choke point for you.

We were in Bruges last summer on a cruise. My wife had to get genuine Belgian waffles and I went for the chocolates.

Another thought on the cables, you could use cable raceways like this to hide them.

That’s what I understood from the videos.
The ER7212PC is an “all-in-one”, integrating the Omada controler, the switch and the router device.
If I get it correctly, it is a one device replacing your OC200, TL-SG1210P and ER7206 (more or less).

I can certainly start with one EAP653 (I don’t see a major difference between this and your EAP610)

Then I can add some other devices depending on my need.
I have less WiFi devices than you, probably arround 40.
And 10 wired devices.
I replaced a lot of my WiFi IoT with Zigbee devices (around 50), mostely because of Tuya’s policy about limited free usage that you have to renew every 3 monthes.

I’ll probably go for that kind of solution indeed.

In reading your posts, it seems you are at a bit of a ‘rock and hard place’ both with your physical walls and the current state of wifi 7 mesh standards/tech :wink: .

I’ve not used the Omoda stuff, but have used Unifi and Mikrotik. All three seem ‘enterprise’ focused. An while some of their ‘enterprise’ function trickle down to home automation type setups, it seems much of what you pay for with these do not. And due to their ‘long life focus of enterprise customers’ not relative leading edge focus/cycle of the many consumer and home automation customers needs, they seem to be missing some of the wifi 7 functions that are useful for home automation or if they have it, the price point is spendy…

On you physical walls and ceilings, if I read correctly, how well do you think the ‘pie pan’ design of most of the Unifi and TP-link access points will work in your setup? Most of the ‘pie pans’ seem to ASS-ume you have an easy to access (and easy to pass signals) hanging ceiling panels to mount on, not a slab of concrete… the Deco type units from TP-Link that I cite below can be placed in a ‘more’ room central location and either ‘back hauled’ via 2.5 GB ethernet or 2.4/5/6 GHz wireless.

On the wifi standards front, now still seems an unfortunate time to buy, as a number of the home automation wifi 7 standards are yet to roll out to access points that I see. Specifically, the stuff for low power wifi devices that many be low power / battery and sensor type devices. If you buy these access points now and they do not have these AX features and don’t promise a firmware upgrade path to these features you may end of with a ‘bottom drawer’ full of several expensive ‘pie pan’ access points in the not to distant future.

The proprietary nature of wifi firmware contains to be a pisser as well. I am starting to experiment with some Nordic and Expressif SOCs that support the new AX functions that will be useful for low power, sleepy devices in the new WiFi 7 world, but between the limited wifi 7 ax functions in my access points and the dirth of wifi 7 cards/adapters that support/work on linux makes it a rather slow slog.

I’ve been using the TP-Link Deco devices in one setup with some good solid basic wifi 7 functions. I’m not sure if these are available in your region via Costco, however the price point for these (and the good Costco return policy) makes it a good path for some to put a toe in WiFi 7 mesh. Unfortunately, these Deco devices lack some of the configuration options that I think are in your requirements (example, you are not able to assign wifi channels manually :unamused: )

Good hunting! 2024 IMHO is a pretty ‘sucky’ time to install a mesh WiFi 7 setup that will have a decent lifespan and function set for a home automation design.

https://www.costco.com/TP-Link-Deco-BE16000-Quad-Band-Mesh-Wi-Fi-7-System.product.1766754.html

I’m pretty sure there is no costco in Belgium, so no solution for the OP.

1 Like

I wouldnt worry about wifi 7 yet. 6e yes. But I’m not planning any 7 gear anytime soon.

The net benefit of 7 over 6 basic rolls up to 2.5x faster on the same radio mesh.

Ok fine. But right now WiFi6 is so much faster than what Op currently has and what’s available upstream (a/b) 2+5x more will likely be overkill.

Its like ok you can have last years Ferrari or next year’s concept McLaren - only a million dollars and a color difference. Well yes the McLaren is technically faster but you’ll never get over 300kph anyway in that track sooo…

You can have a Ferrari and a million bucks or the McLaren? I’m taking the Ferrari. 6e

1 Like

Darn… good beer, fries and chocolate but no Costco… Road Trip!!! :wink:

1 Like

I am far from an expert in these wifi standards. That said, what is called WiFi 6 and WiFi 6e seem to me to be ‘stop gap’ solutions and rather spendy considering what I perceive as their short life.

Again from my limited knowledge, if you are going to spend this type coin now, the two things that a home automation setup would want from the WiFi 7 (aka IEEE 802.11be - Wikipedia ) standard are:

1. the new small low power bursty sub channel allocation for low power, sleepy battery powered wifi sensors.

2. New frequency spectrum of 6 GHz, yet to be filled (how long :wink: ) for the video and gaming stream work of the ‘minions’ at home :wink: .

As I understand it, neither of these are possible with a WiFi 6 or 6e access point. Now or via firmware upgrade.

As I stated, 2024 seems a sucky time for installing a new wireless infrastructure for home automation. Stuck between ‘stop gap and not up gradable WiFi 6/6e’ and ‘not quite there WiFi7’, and both very expensive…

I drive a Tesla that beats them both :wink: and drives for me…

Come on, you could even have perfectly fine wifi 4 network for home automation. It really is ok to not always get the newest and shiniest technology, especially as the first devices are usually not polished (see the Matter…).

1 Like

I agree somewhat, however that was not the OP’s question IMHO : ‘What mesh wifi to consider in 2024?’ and also the OP seems to have some requirements both physical space planning and network function that would not seem to be well served by 2008 technology ( IEEE 802.11n-2009 - Wikipedia ).