What will replace the history graph after its deprecated 0.107.0.?

I got this nasty warning today:

Log Details (WARNING)
Fri Feb 14 2020 16:36:14 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
The history_graph integration has been deprecated and is pending for removal in Home Assistant 0.107.0.

ok, no problem but I use this in a dozen places in Lovelace. What will it be replaced with? I’d like to get ahead of the curve before it breaks all over the place!

Jeff

The Lovelace history graph card is not going away: https://www.home-assistant.io/lovelace/history-graph/

It’s only the history_graph integration that is going away, which is separate and was only used by the States UI: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/history_graph/

Got it. Thanks. I don’t see that integration installed anywhere. is this just a generic warning to ALL?

The problem is that you can t expand the history card to full display width (“more info” pop-up) like to old history graph integration. There is no replacement for this.

Clicking on the top row of this:

Used to give this:

What can I replace it with?

6 Likes

exactly. I like to place several temp graphs all together as well, stacking them. I also have calculated values to look at variances… all on one graph.

You can use the lovelace history card to do that, which is essentially the same. It’s just the way to call it is different. You might want browser mod to do that though.

Would you mind explaining how I get the Lovelace version to show as a card when an icon is clicked and then how to scale the card to the full width of the display when the graph title is clicked?

1 Like

something like this maybe?

- type: entity-button
  entity: input_boolean.whatever_button
  name: Temperature
  icon: mdi:chart-line
  tap_action:
    action: call-service
    service: browser_mod.popup
    service_data:
      title: Room Temperatures
      large: true
      card:
        type: history-graph
        entities:
          - sensor.temp_sensor_1
          - sensor.temp_sensor_2
          - sensor.temp_sensor_3
      deviceID:
        - this 

Haven’t tested this, but this is what I think should be needed to get roughly the same result.

5 Likes

Remember you will have to have browser_mod installed to do this (but you’re using mini-graph card, so custom-cards are probably no problem)

It can even be done with mini-graph card and feed all those entities in a mini-graph card instead.

- type: entity-button
  entity: input_boolean.whatever_button
  name: Temperature
  icon: mdi:chart-line
  tap_action:
    action: call-service
    service: browser_mod.popup
    service_data:
      title: Room Temperatures
      large: true
      card:
        type: custom:mini-graph-card
        entities:
          - sensor.sensor_temperature
          - sensor.temperature
      deviceID:
        - this 

you could also do this with any other card that can do service-calls (like for example button-card or even other cards).

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I have it installed already. Will check when home. Thanks for your help.

Oh Great… I see hours and hours of config changes ahead. It’s All good. I’ve gotten this far thru trial and LOTS of error, but I did just leave the beta channel, today. Too many things broke at once. I like a semblance of calm in my life these days. The Cutting edge is for code jockeys who can handle yaml errors without crutches…

Jeff

1 Like

Is it safe to say that if I don’t see “history_graph” in my configuration.yaml, I’m OK?

Also, thanks for the examples. I was unaware of the tap_action capability. I’ve wanted to do something like that a few times. Now I know what to search for. Which is often the biggest hurtle.

1 Like

Yes.

1 Like

Is there a way to specify the max & min values on the Lovelace history graph card instead of them being automatically generated? Occasionally there are some outlier values that caused the graph to become unreadable and I would like to ignore those.

And looking at the configuration options for that card I do not see a way to set minimum and maximum values.

Jeff

1 Like

Not that I know of. However you can run your sensor through a filter to remove the outliers:

1 Like

wow. Ok. Super helpful.

I’ve got to say this HA system is really shaping up with all the recent changes. I LOVE IT. I’m just good enough at hacking/plagiarizing code snippets to make it do pretty much everything I want.

And I’m now a paid subscriber to Nabucasa. I can see this matchup being super powerful in the future. It’s still a little rough around the edges when used with iOS/iphones/ipads, but that’s to be expected.

This past weekend I finally disconnected from IFTTT, ewLink, SmartLife/etc, and am now HOME ASSISTANT native using Tasmota/MQTT/ESPHome on all my devices. No more cloud or holes in my router other than Nabucasa. Super slick.

Jeff

3 Likes

Hmm. Could not get it to work.

Could not find browser mod pop-up service. or words to that effect.

Also the entity button is huge.

Browser mod is installed and the resource is set (HASC did it, but I checked).

Have just deleted the history graphs for now.

Quick question related to this. At the moment I don’t manually manage my Lovelace config I just let HA build it ( I know that probably seems a little weird to some, that even after approaching 2 years of usage, but fits my current use case)… Does this mean that from 0.107 I will lose all access to history graphing without having to move to manually managing the Lovelace config? If so this is going the a pain in the rear and doesn’t feel very friendly for new users.

I don’t think that’s what will be depreciated… i could be Wrong, but I think the history card will still be available In Future releases.

But if you don’t manage your own Lovelace config you get the graphs on views by using history graph which is the thing being deprecated. Maybe @balloob could clarify?

I am trying to work out if I am just missing something totally obvious in the announcement or if this is features being stripped and pushing users down an enforced config route to retain something they already have.

If the 2nd point is the case my primary install is going to have to be frozen at 0.106 until I can rebuild my whole config around the new way of working and if I am going to have to start from scratch I may as well do a platform v platform evaluation of what else is offered from other projects too.