Why are people asking the same questions over and over again? (Or the Regulars' Chatroom) šŸ¤·

Iā€™ve always gone with the mentality that ā€œI canā€™t possibly be the only idiot who got stumped on thisā€. Sure enough, Iā€™d almost always find a post or some random google result to nudge me forward just enough to invariably stumble on the next step. Rinse and repeat and eventually youā€™ll get there.

Itā€™s a bit like playing Elden Ring (or anything by FromSoft) - you might fail a hundred times, but you only need to get it right just once to progress.

3 Likes

TIL ā€“ found anther cool editing trick.
Start of line in here, type > then > a couple more times followed by a 3 -. No spaces.

Nice different dividing line.

2 Likes

> in markdown is like quoting someone

1 Like

Stacking them made a cool effect, never seen before it slipped out.

Worth a read

ā€œillustrates how talented people continuously design bad software-based products and why we need technology to work the way average people think.ā€

https://www.amazon.com/Inmates-Are-Running-Asylum-Products/dp/0672326140?nodl=1&dplnkId=4b764368-d99b-48c5-83bb-0af3a8f123a1

Another guide for the cookbook list?

Done
You know, we wonā€™t explode it you add these yourselfā€¦

Contributors

New posts in this series (or improvements to existing ones - each post is a wiki) are welcome.

• Make a post in Community Guides and tag it with cookbook.
  • Include a link to the index
  • Add a link from the index

I did this one you suggested today, and another one I was meaning to do.
Both are ā€˜Petro Pearls of Wisdomā€™ based. (PPW)

At What Rates Do Templates Render & Update.
Target Selector & Entity Selector Errors.

2 Likes

Excellent! This forum post has delivered a lot of value. I went through my bookmarks last night to see if thereā€™s more to add, but from that list I think the coverage is now pretty good.

I just came across another one: renaming entities to keep history. This post, however, has some new information.

Thatā€™s not as useful as replacing a device though. Which is the most commonly asked for information. There does not seem to be a viable procedure for that (yet).

3 Likes

Tried my new log splitter today. Should get it esphomed. It could answer many questions: How many splits today? How much electricity do you use to chop that firewood? Why is my back sore?

2 Likes

Set a man on fire and heā€™ll be warm for the rest of his life!

3 Likes

How can we make more people aware of the new cookbook, both newcomers and regular visitors? I saw Tom pinned it, but beyond that.

Another question I see regularly is: ā€œIā€™m just getting started. What are my IoT device options?ā€

This is such a broad and personal preference question that itā€™s very hard to answer. I normally stick to some guidelines: Where are you? Start small. Solve a specific problem. Be willing to experiment. Avoid cloud and polling. Etc.

EDIT: I suppose the ā€œ20 thingsā€ in the cookbook partly covers it.

3 Likes

Cookbook begets cookbook.

Someone needs to capture that procedure to move LTS data in the last post ASAP

2 Likes

Iā€™ve asked @AngellusMortis to do a write up.

2 Likes

In the same spirt of a Home Assistant Cookbook - Index, what thoughts do folks have on a Home Assistant Troubleshooting - Index ?

4 Likes

Go for it! :smile:

Thatā€™s gonna be a LOT of index entries :wink: lol

1 Like

Iā€™ll give it a start but I was initially thinking just the basics & that we see often. I hope to have a draft soon.