Why is Ubuntu Server Install Reporting as Unsupported?

Not sure if this has been the case for a while but my installation of Home Assistant on Ubuntu Server is showing as unsupported. Is this something to be concerned about and if so, how do I resolve it without losing all my configurations etc?

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 12-19-28

Ubuntu has been unsupported since they decided to only support a few types of installations. Debian is the only supported base OS for a supervisef installation.
Unsupported only means that the devs will not provide any support if you run into issues with this install, the community will still be here to help you and the system will continue to run without you noticing (as you confirm yourself, you didnā€™t notice until now but the change was introduced months ago).

1 Like

Ok, so this is troublesome as when trying to update to the latest version I get:

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 12-31-54

Unhealthy is more concerning, this may be due to a recent docker update that wrecked a lot of systems lately.

Everything seems to have been running ok recently. The inability to update is new though.

What version of docker are you running? When you click on ā€˜Learn moreā€™, do you get any more info?

Search for ā€œunhealthyā€ here and youā€™ll find many answers.

Client: Docker Engine - Community
 Version:           19.03.13
 API version:       1.40
 Go version:        go1.13.15
 Git commit:        4484c46d9d
 Built:             Wed Sep 16 17:02:36 2020
 OS/Arch:           linux/amd64
 Experimental:      false
Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Get http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.40/version: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 12-45-29

This linked to here https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/docker_configuration

Screenshot from 2020-12-20 12-46-00

1 Like

Following the information in the link below, with regards to editing /etc/docker/daemon.json fixed it and allowed me to then update to the latest version of HA:

https://www.home-assistant.io/more-info/unsupported/docker_configuration

2 Likes

I did have the same problem today when trying to upgrade, running ubuntu. Rebooted the host system (ubuntu), and after reboot it was possible to upgrade without problems.

@Atle_Ravndal, maybe thatā€™s what fixed mine, because after adding the lines to the daemon.json file I performed a reboot.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little concerned that Ubuntu is no longer supported (or maybe it never was?) as that could lead to breakages going forward. Iā€™m reluctant to change to supported Debian server though in case I lose my configurations.

If it help alleviate your concerns any, I was running HA supervised on Ubuntu and last weekend I switched to HA OS without issue.
I created a VM running HA-OS and got it to the point of adding the samba addon, took a HA snapshot of the ubuntu based system, turned it off, restored the snapshot on the HA-OS VM, moved my USB sticks over, set itā€™s static IP to the same as the old machine, and rebooted.

Everything came back up perfectly without a single hiccup (Almost).
The only thing I lost was the DB stopped working, but I just deleted it and it got re-created. I use influxDB as the long-term historian, so it wasnt an issue for me.

I might have been lucky, but I had no issues at all moving my entire config around using a snapshot.

As nice as running it on my own OS was, it was honestly more of a headache than itā€™s worth. With more and more changes being needed to keep it ā€œsupportedā€ and the recent issue with the new docker version not being compatible, itā€™s more piece of mind now (and less maintenance) to just use the fully supported HA OS. Not to mention that running it as a VM means I still can use the server for plenty of other uses and Iā€™m not locked into an entire machine only running HA.

@Silicon_Avatar, I was considering VM when looked earlier at supported systems and I might give it a try. I have this nagging feelings that one day something is going to stop working on my Ubuntu server HA install and that would give me headaches!

@Silicon_Avatar, did you follow some instructions on installing HA-OS on VM?

So Iā€™m running it as a VM in ESXi, which is using the VMDK file that HA provides.

I followed the instructions that HA provides, as well as some other details outlined in this guide.
Additionally this story of someoneā€™s successful attempt at it.

The VMDK works right out the box for some people (somehow) but I needed to follow the instructions in that second guide (specifically using vmkfstools to clone the disk) to get it to work for me.

1 Like

As I stated in my first post, Ubuntu was never supported. Debian is the only supported method for running Supervised. And also there you need to have everything configured like HA devs want it otherwise itā€™s unsupported. Thatā€™s probably not worth the headache.

In my experience, when the system is unhealthy, supervisor doesnā€™t have root. A reboot of the sustem fixes it, for a while :-/

Yes, thatā€™s one of the first links I posted.