Why isn't there a back navigation for dashboards?

Why? Mobile apps don’t have back buttons.

If you don’t know what a dashboard is…

And this is the current tap actions…

How should it be done?

Like this:

tap_action:
  action: navigate-back

Hi @petro
I think it’s the fourth request I’ve seen for this. Yes, with subviews implemented it would be great to have that option as well. I try to save on my phone screen real estate, so I activate kioskmode for that panel.
For now I’ve made a ‘navigate’ button, but that just goes to a specific page. If you have multiple paths to that page, a back button would be great.

1 Like

I just searched, I haven’t found any other WTH’s that as for a tap action navigation to move backwards… can you please link the WTH you’re referring to?

I think there are deleted, I read through a lot this morning, and I found several requests for putting a back button available in lovelace, in regards to the subviews.
I can see you found one other, and closed that for this.

I also forwarded my own feature request (Back button in the lovelace UI for Subviews - #2 by fribse) to this one.

Yes, first come first serve. If you can find the WTH that was made previously to mine, i’ll close this in favor of that.

My related WTH for Show more related navigation (esp. on mobile) - WTH doesn't Show More (History and Log book) have a back button (mobile companion app)

Another somewhat related: WTH No back button on the Energy Dashboard - #3 by fribse

This WTH is about adding a back button to your custom dashboards, like overview and each subsequent dashboard that you create. This would be available on any card where a Tap Action can be used. The WTH has no relation to back buttons on curated dashboards included with HA.

Where does say that in your description?

Dashboards is the name of the UI’s that are created by users in home assistant.

The title is: Why isn’t there a back navigation for dashboards?

This would be nice to have.
I wouldn’t have to create anymore workaround buttons.

Is there any updates on this matter?

1 Like

I use mushroom buttons to my favorite tabs:

is there still no solution? looks like it isn’t even possible with browser_mod.

would be too cool if this could get simply added to ha_core

Hi Killtux,

I’ve been using a mushroom chips card with the “back” chip with browser_mod (and fully kisok) and it seems to work well. Using a custom grid-layout and specifying a header to put the back chip in there.

cards:
      - type: custom:mushroom-chips-card
        chips:
          - type: back
            icon: mdi:home
        view_layout:
          grid-area: header
1 Like

I would love to be able to have a LARGE back button for our tablet dashboards.
Which I thought would be possible using a BUTTON with navigate…but as others have said, it is not.

Look how tiny this arrow is compared to the rest of the dashboard!

+1 on the Mushroom Chip card (using the Template function)
Using a picture instead of icon so it is slightly bigger.
Will admit every now and then I noticed the icon “back” arrow would stop responding, so hoping the template form with single and double tap functions will work better.

NOTE: I use kiosk mode for all users, but give myself non-kiosk mode in it detects I am in a desktop browser (not mobile)

type: custom:mushroom-chips-card
chips:
  - type: template
    tap_action:
      action: navigate
      navigation_path: /rocky-view
    icon: ''
    icon_color: ''
    picture: /local/back-arrow.png
    hold_action:
      action: none
    double_tap_action:
      navigation_path: /rocky-view

here is the link to the image I pulled for the arrow…

While trying to find an answer to this I managed to get it to work using custom:button-card.

It’s not a perfect workaround by any means and I’m unsure if it works on other cards. It also pops up a toast saying ‘No navigation path specified’ - but it does work.

tap_action:
  navigation_path: '[[[window.history.back()]]]'
1 Like

Thanks addms. I’d love an official implementation for this feature, but I’ll be using yours for my purposes until that happens.