Windows 10 can't access HASSIO through Samba

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/51024-change-file-sharing-encryption-level-windows-10-a.html. Didn’t work for me though

@Sean_S_Nazarian Me neither. Thanks for the link. I did not realize windows encrypts sharing. Next to try and see if Updating Samba to the latest will work.

1 Like

Same problem. I’m running with Win10 Pro version, and the latest HASS.IO, the samba share addon did not work fine for me. When try to open the shared folder, it stuck for such a long time and failed in opening.

1 Like

I am using MS WIndows 10 Pro to access Samba’s share. I can easily access it by typing: \hassio (that is backslash backslash lowercase hassio).
As soon as it connects to the share it will require authentication. I have set Guest option to False, and specify an Username and Password. Once you have access to the share, then you can proceed to Map a drive letter for easier access in Windows.

Here is my Samba config:
{
“workgroup”: “CYBERNET”, <======My Home Network Workgroup (make sure it matches your case)
“name”: “hassio”,
“guest”: false, <======== Microsoft don’t play nice with Guest access. So set it to False.
“map”: {
“config”: true, <======= I just need access to my config files,
“addons”: false, <====== so I have set the other folders share to False
“ssl”: false,
“share”: false,
“backup”: false
},
“username”: “admin”, <==================Added username
“password”: “@dm!n”, <==================Added password
“interface”: “eth0”
}

5 Likes

Try at map network drive:
–> \your_pi_IP_address\share

3 Likes

You might need to enable SMBv1. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off > check or uncheck the box for “SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support”

10 Likes

Do you have Network Discovery turn on in Windows 10?

@ceh fix is the correct fix. Windows 10 in default samba cifs v1 is enabled but if you don’t use this feature at all, it will be disabled automaticly after I while.

Thank you worked a treat :smile:

Thank you!

I also have the same problem and i tried every thing in this page.

There is also a registry thing you can try. Don’t have it (I’m on my phone) but try a Google search for "Synology windows 10). The fix you will find can solve your problem :slight_smile:

Thanks my Man. it works. backslash backslash lowercase hassio.\ \hassio.

great

1 Like

A thing to note though as i’ve recently been dealing with this in work:

As of fall creators update, SMBv2 does not allow guest access by default, meaning if hassio upgrades to this method then most people will have to mess around with group policy or the registry to allow it.

As mentioned above, SMBv1 is now not installed by default and can potentially be uninstalled or disabled during a windows update. SMBv1 is not affected by the recent microsoft changes of disabling connections to samba shares that allow guest logons though.

Guest access in SMB2 disabled by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server 2016 version 1709

SMBv1 is not installed by default in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server, version 1709 and later versions

2 Likes

thank you for the reply
I tried to do what you said and it sadly didn’t work. I was frustrated at first then I pressed diagnose, it says windows can’t find hassio. check to see if it’s connected to the internet and turned on.

Someone should make a note about this in the Samba add on…

1 Like

Or just supply a username and password when mapping the share.

There is no excuse for using the outdated and insecure SMBv1.

2 Likes

The Samba add on is old and hard to contact

I’m not sure if I’m doing this right as I’m still struggling to get Samba to let me map to my Win10 PC. Are you saying that if I enter values into the username and password fields via the HASSIO Samba config menu I don’t need to enable SMBv1, or are you referring to a separate set of credentials?

I’m talking about the scenario when HA is updated to use SMBv2 or 3.