WTH can we not include and exclude entities for the recorder using the UI

There is no settings menu at the moment for the recorder in home assistant. A dedicated settings page to set number of days to record and what entities to include or exclude from the recorder in the UI would be a nice fix for this.

Agreed. In a way this UI already almost exists too. The UI for configuring cloud that is used for selecting which entities to include/exclude from Google/Alexa serves a similar purpose.

3 Likes

and also show what is taking up the space, so you can disable a device thats fill up the DB to quickly, or look in to why that one device is “spamming” the DB

13 Likes

Not thought of this but great idea. I have some stuff excluded in configuration.yaml, but on occasion I want to look at history for debugging purposes. I usually give up because I can’t be bothered editing config and going through two restarts.

I voted for this. This should be very easy to be implemented and greatly increase the functionallity of HA without the need to edit from the config

Fwiw this was a pretty popular WTH last time too. Definitely would still like to see it happen:

5 Likes

It was almost done:

3 Likes

I think fixing the backend should be pretty easy. But to present and make it usable in a good way in frontend is probably a different ball-game.

Yes, please! I’d love to make my guide obsolete: How to keep your recorder database size under control

4 Likes

Absolutely this. In fact, I’d love to have a single list of all entities in settings, with each entity having a checkbox for each of the integratons in use that takes include/exclude lists. For example recorder, logbook, influxdb, homekit, all in one place. Like this:

Recorder  Logbook  InfluxDB  HomeKit
sensor.abc       X         X         X
sensor.xyz       X                   X        X

Right now it’s tedious and error-prone to have to check and update multiple locations in the config files.

5 Likes

Good idea, could also add current database records to that view on the end also.

After the implementation of 4 LD2410 sensors which update still and movement distance very frequently i came up with the idea of having an option to exclude it from recorder and logbook using the UI. Searching the forum, i stumbled upon this WTH (kind of expecting that i won’t be the first with this idea) and i am surprised that this has not been implemented yet.

Especially with the newer changes in HA adding the possibility to select entities and add labels or enable/disable them this should be fairly easy to do on the frontend as well.

Just go to the list of entities, filter by integration, select the entities you want to exclude, press the 3 dots and have the option to exclude from Recorder/Logbook.

Voted for this!