WTH isn't configuration YAML for UI-configured integration exposed for editing?

There have been a few instances now where I’ve set up an integration from the UI and then discovered that the only way to change a particular setting is via YAML, which is inaccessible for UI-configured integrations.

In fact, I just configured the ZHA integration, found that it’s set to the same channel as my Hue network, and there’s no way to change it. So now I have to delete the integration and go through the otherwise unnecessary painful task of configuring it entirely in YAML. And then I assume it won’t be visible on the integrations screen.

If some settings can only be changed in YAML, and even if that wasn’t the case, why not put the YAML for UI-configured integrations somewher eaccessible?

There is no yaml for UI configured integrations. The data for UI configured integrations goes in json files in /config/.storage.

It is possible to modify these files but you need to to stop HA first and start it when you’re done. I would recommend against it though. There is no documentation, schema or any kind of config validation on these files since manual modifications aren’t supported. And if you mess up HA simply crashes and won’t start. They are only intended to be changed by HA via the UI.

2 Likes

Ok, so my assumption about the hidden configuration being YAML was incorrect, but the bigger issue still stands - that there are settings that can’t be changed if you installed an integration from the UI, that you would be able to change if you had done it in YAML instead.

true.

but that argument was made and rejected a long time ago and the devs aren’t concerned with any of that whatsoever.

The only option is to accept it and move on.

Hasn’t there been an effort recently to make Home Assistant more usable through the UI? Maybe this issue could be revisited as part of that. And isn’t this the sort of thing that WTH month is about?

Right. The switch to UI only is a part of that. And it seems that losing some ease of config options/functionality is also a part of that and comes along with it.

It’s been pointed out MANY times already and there doesn’t seem to be any concern about it.

I’m not trying to put the kibosh on your WTH but I was just pointing out why it is the way it is and to make it so you don’t expect to much from it.

Oh, I get it. You don’t actually care if you can make changes in yaml specifically. You just want to be able to make changes to an integration you configured in the UI without removing and re-adding it. Sorry I misunderstood, I thought the yaml was the focus.

Totally reasonable request IMO. Believe it is a duplicate though, of one of these two:

We’ve needed this from the beginning. It’s a huge hole in HA IMO. Reconfiguring shouldn’t be treated like a second rate citizen.

2 Likes

Thanks. Those posts do indeed cover exactly what I’m talking about (except for the fact that some settings can’t even be changed on initial configuration, and not just after).

1 Like

That’s exactly the point.

Few parameters are missing on initial configuration and most of them are missing on later edit as only the 1st one is available.

That’s really painfull.

1 Like