Wyze sense sensor integrations

Sorry to bring this back up again but I can not seem to get the USB dongle to show up in my Ubuntu VM.

Can anyone explain to me how they got the Wyze Sense USB dongle to show up in their VM. I simply get “no devices available” within Oracle.

@FrenchToast shared some drivers which installed fine and appear to be from the same Chinese company everyone is using but they simply can not be associated to the HID device. No matter if I try to Update Drivers, Windows says I have the best drivers already installed and nothing changes. Below is my Device Mgr. Does everyones device come in like this? I really need some help here. Seems like there is some stupid thing I am NOT doing.

Sorry for delay in answering, its a bit of a pain to get on my remote machine. I’m honestly not sure how I got this to work after so much time has passed, but I took a few screenshots to hopefully help.

1. Install drivers I shared (truthfully i have no clue if this will fix your issue but it sorted my problems)

2. Plug in Wyze hub. The hub will show up as a generic HID device and light will be yellow, this is okay for now.

1. Go into your Virtualbox (I use VM Virtuabox by Oracle) and enable USB pass through. Add a filter and HOPEFULLY your “QinHeng” device will show up. If not we’ll need to look for additional drivers.

^^This is where I was stuck for some time and got lucky doing research finding the drivers i found but it may be different by system or virtual host

1. After allowing pass through and enabling the device, once HA is started the light on the Wyze hub should now be blue and the device will no longer show as a generic USB device it’ll move in your device manager from HID device to USB controller. Assuming all went well, you should be greeted with working sensors

Notice how the vendor and product ID from VM box USB page match the generic HID device in image above.

Hope this helps!

Any ideas as to why when I hit “Call Service” and then I push the button until the light blinks,It doesn’t find either the motion or door sensors? Evrything else works as it should.

Thank you @FrenchToast. I guess my problem is with Step 2. I do not get any available devices to add into Oracle.

No problem, best guess is it’s still driver related to your setup. My advice is to keep searching for CH341 drivers and trying to get them associated with the Wyze hub.

http://www.wch-ic.com/downloads/CH341SER_EXE.html

Those look promising as far as the name is concerned at least? Other option is if the device shows up in your device manager (and you’re sure it’s the right one), you could delete the current drivers and associate the new drivers with it.

Yeah OK I will keep trying to dig for other drivers.

So yes the device does show up in device manager. I know it’s the right device because I unplug it and it goes away and Plug it in and it comes back. The whole deleting The driver thing does not really work as these drivers appear to be integral to windows and I’m not able to delete the .SYS files

I have had the same problem all zero’s for a mac address for a sensor that had worked for 8 months and another sensor even took the identity of the one missing it’s mac address I rolled back from wyzesense 0.0.9 to 0.0.8 so far it’s mac address has stayed persistent I never did one of those report issues don’t want to cause a wild goose chase I’ll monitor for a week or so if it remains I’ll update back to 0.0.9 and if it happens again I’ll report it

Finally got a chance to get back to this…your setup is awesome! and taught me a little bit about golang too which is a nice bonus :slight_smile:
Thanks for sharing!

Word of advice if these sensor’s batteries go dead your sensor will be bricked, to date I have found no solution to bringing them back outside of requesting replacements from Wyze full disclosure I had 2 go dead and contacted them via chat on the website and they agreed-ed to replace them a few days later I realized that I had 6 units that I opened captured their mac address and put aside for future installment.
Well they were all dead so I have a total of 8 sensors that bricked I have not reached out to them yet for the remainder of the units but I think that may not go as smooth as from the outside looking in it will appear I am taking advantage as they did not require me to send the defective units back so I will suggest that I send all of them back I also have not confirmed if this issue has been corrected on new units if anyone knows please post as I have not found anything to support that yet

at what battery level should we replace the battery?
i have heard some devices drop quickly after levels as high as 80%.
it would be good to know when these wyze sensors are in danger.

I’ve gotta be honest I’m not sure that the battery level indicator is at all accurate mine never went below 75% and over half of them never actuated they sat on my desk and all went dead I’ve had a motion sensor in my closet for as long as I have owned the sensors almost a year and it reports that it is at 94% this sensor is triggered a dozen or more times a day

I did my best to installed the [HACS customer repository], following the instructions. But, see the following errors. Any ideas how to fix this?

2020-10-05 17:45:01 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Error while setting up wyzesense platform for binary_sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 193, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/binary_sensor.py", line 78, in setup_platform
    _LOGGER.debug("Attempting to open connection to hub at " + config[CONF_DEVICE])
TypeError: can only concatenate str (not "NoneType") to str

The first question is what kind of install of HA are you using?

I am using the hassio image for a raspberry pi4.
Installing the custom component through HACS.

Same. I had 4 go bad at once, they sent me a 4 pack replacement, 2 of those were dead on arrival. So they sent me 2 more, 1 of those was dead on arrival. and at that point I discovered I had another one that was in use that was bad, so they sent me 2 more… they sent me a total of 8 sensors, of which I was able to get 5 good ones…

Apparently they will have a new sensor coming out soon,. These sensors are great except for the mac issue, and it sounds like it will eventually kill all of them.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a replacement? The wyze devices work great when they work. So far lost 4, each showed greater than 80 % battery.

Ive had more than a few go bad, but they replace them with no trouble under warranty. The bad part about the sensors is that you dont get battery information unless the sensor is tripped. Sooooo, that means you have to trip each one once in a while. I personally setup a warning to be sent to me at 85%. If the batteries get below 85%, its a crap shoot as to will they die or not I have found. Id rather be safe than sorry. If zwave sensors werent so expensive and large, Id just replace all 20 or so that I have with them and forget the non-sense. But the price is right, even if you end up loosing a few to the battery issues.

All of mine trip daily. I have set-up notification automations that tell me to change if battery is below 85%. Had one fail at greater than 85%. Not sure how accurate the battery level measurement is? I never had a motion sensor fail only the contact sensor.

Im now needing to give this a shot since IFTTT is going pro… Is the hacs add on the latest and greatest version of this integration? Also if i try it will i be able to go back to using the hub in a camera again or once you switch it over your stuck?

What’s even weirder I have beta release sensors I got when they first came out and I use a contact sensor on my dog food container. Well the battery was dead for two weeks doing the triple blink and not reporting back to HA, I replaced it and it came right back? I have yet to have a sensor fail, I use two contact sensors and 5 motion sensors and I have let the batteries die in all of them :man_shrugging:

1 Like