Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

You joke, but I could seriously see someone doing this, even right now with the M5, it would really just need a battery to power it and the thing is super low energy already, it wouldn’t be that uninmaginable, and would personally love something like this no matter how much fun I get made of lol!

1 Like

Sorry if I missed it, but where can I find the ESPHome sources of the M5Stack Echo " $13 voice remote for Home Assistant" project?

I have a MAX98357A amp and a INMP441 from a similar project I did for Rhasspy.

I’m not really sure if you can do both input and output I2S audio so easily :wink:

I think it is here GitHub - esphome/media-players: This repo hosts known, tested devices that can server as media players to Home Assistant. (but why are we having to guess).

3 Likes

Really interested to see if there will be support for SIP-based “paging” equipment like speakers and microphones.

The phone trick mentioned here is cool, but that Grandstream device speaks SIP, and it definitely would be easier to set up, more extensible, and a million times more awesome if Home Assistant could speak SIP as well

1 Like

Can the docs be updated to include that the audio pipeline needs a HTTPS connection (even with the companion app)? Spent most of the morning messaging around with my setup & the companion app, including even trying some android sip clients to see if they’d work with the new VOIP setup, and was expecting the issue to be that the companion app needed an update not the http(local)/https(remote) HAProxy setup I have.

Suspect a fair amount will fall into this http config issue and wonder why audio doesn’t work for them.

1 Like

Piper started OK with this but Whisper is failing to start with the following. Anyone also had this issue or have a solution?

INFO:__main__:Downloading FasterWhisperModel.MEDIUM to /data stderr
09:54:29 Traceback (most recent call last): stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 197, in _run_module_as_main stderr
09:54:29 return _run_code(code, main_globals, None, stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/runpy.py", line 87, in _run_code stderr
09:54:29 exec(code, run_globals) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/wyoming_faster_whisper/__main__.py", line 132, in <module> stderr
09:54:29 asyncio.run(main()) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/asyncio/runners.py", line 44, in run stderr
09:54:29 return loop.run_until_complete(main) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/asyncio/base_events.py", line 642, in run_until_complete stderr
09:54:29 return future.result() stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/wyoming_faster_whisper/__main__.py", line 75, in main stderr
09:54:29 model_dir = download_model(model, args.download_dir) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/wyoming_faster_whisper/download.py", line 41, in download_model stderr
09:54:29 with urlopen(model_url) as response: stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 214, in urlopen stderr
09:54:29 return opener.open(url, data, timeout) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 523, in open stderr
09:54:29 response = meth(req, response) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 632, in http_response stderr
09:54:29 response = self.parent.error( stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 561, in error stderr
09:54:29 return self._call_chain(*args) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 494, in _call_chain stderr
09:54:29 result = func(*args) stderr
09:54:29 File "/usr/lib/python3.9/urllib/request.py", line 641, in http_error_default stderr
09:54:29 raise HTTPError(req.full_url, code, msg, hdrs, fp) stderr
09:54:29 urllib.error.HTTPError: HTTP Error 404: Not Found

Is there a Piper and Whisper setup for us docker users?

For future me.

No internet in the container so it can’t download the required model also not all combinations of models are available.

Yes look up the thread. That is what I am trying to setup

1 Like

Is there a list of supported models? I am after English anything that will run ok on a Synology 920+

Thanks Nick :+1:
I guess specifically this yaml:

Yes I believe so, I was trying to point to the directory with the other hardware support too.

1 Like

I hit the same with the medium model too in en.

These two tries gave the 404:

--model medium --language en
--model medium

This one did not give a 404 and starts fine:
--model small --language en

Which is weird because the faster-whisper python package downloads from guillaumekln (Guillaume Klein) which has both medium.en and small.en

4 Likes

Warning: looks like ESPHome currently only supports PDM microphone like the one in the M5 Echo, not “pure” I2S ones like the INMP441 (was wondering why I couldn’t specify WS/SCK pins)

1 Like

Every page of documentation has a link to submit an update. There you go.

1 Like

I have seen the live stream, and it is great that we now have the esphome voice assistant client (the old Rhasspy Satellite)

but is there also coming a client (satelite) for the raspberry pi or other pc software?

In my living room I have a raspberry pi touchscreen with a WM8960_Audio_HAT this one has mics build in. I bought this always with in my mind to run it as a rhasspy satelite. but now that this is build in home assistant, I do not want to install Rhasspy any more.

currently I see the falsest why to run this is to install some kind of voip/sip client on my raspberry pi. it would be nice to have some sort of voice client software.(can be in the browser it is running chrome)

@synesthesiam which is the correct address to call Home Assistant Assist using the android sip client mizudroid?

Why is this not answered?

2023.5 is released on Wednesday.

The answer is in your post. You aren’t running the required version of HA for this.