Year of the Voice - Chapter 2: Let's talk

We’ve added a new [Voice Assistant](https://esphome.io/components/voice_assistant.html) component that allows you to use ESPHome devices as an input for [assist](https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/assist/) in Home Assistant 2023.5 or later.

is it work for someone with 2023.5.0dev core? is someone try it?

Because im still in 2023.4.6 core i understand i have to wait tomorow.

But in my second instance of HA which is 2023.5.0dev still not work when i press the button, i mean i doesnt have the error about start voice_assistant could not start, i mean, it seems it start but nothing append in HA, no response.

Thanks

You should wait for the release, or seek support on discord, as you were already told on the ESPHome github. No need to cross-post the same question.

Maybe stupid question, but is there a way to use a plain microphone attached to a PC to test the voice functionality? Besides the ESPHome way, it’s not clear to me how to feed HA with voice data…

3 Likes

Yes, just configure your voice assistant and use Assist icon in top right corner of your dashboard

Once the voip integration is installed, it should be the IP of your Home Assistant server with port 5060.

Thanks. Are you talking about this?
I had the microphone icon at the red spot (I guess that’s what you mean) on one chromium browser at one point, but I cannot get it back anymore :roll_eyes:

Yes. Is your voice assistant configured with speech-to-text engine? Are you connected via HTTPS?

1 Like

Ah ok, my test HA is not SSL enabled. Will try that, thanks.

1 Like

I have to re-ask here. Is there a thread or area where such questions (why is this or that in commands) not working oder not working as expected or …?

So instead of opening separate threads here where most probably the rule knowing people, language repsonsibles, etc. will not even see them.

This is the best place as it is full of people interested in the feature.

The reason you probably did not get an answer is because your question was far too vague.

What specifically is not working?

Give examples.

E.g., If syntax is

"Wie [hoch|niedrig] ist die Temperatur [<von_dem>] <name>"

shouldn’t

"Wie ist die Temperatur Heizung Büro"

work, if the Entity Name is “Heizung Büro”?

Unfortunately I don’t know as I don’t speak German.

Shouldn’t matter here, should it? Read it technically. Even if the words would be xxx or yyy. I follow the rule, think so.

Nope. No idea what you are saying.

What is a von_dem?

What is a hoch|niedrig?

Doesn’t matter either. [] are optional parts.

but to skip this language topic, let the rule be

"aaa [bbb|ccc] ddd eee fff [ggg] <name>"

shouldn’t

"aaa ddd eee fff <name>"

work if “Heizung Büro” is the name of the climate entity?

So I can substitute anything. Right, lets try asking:

“[squirrel] nuts car fridge [orange]”

It’s just nonsense. Which is what your aaa bbb ccc is. Give specific examples. In the forum language (English).

1 Like

Sorry Tom, you are on a wrong path. Then you don’t know that this is only a rules engine, which do a word by word comparison with further rules like |, [], <>, … (see above link as well) It is completely not relevant, which are the words here. There is no meaning behind it for the filling weorkds in this rules. Even your example would work, if there is a rule, which corresponds to this schema". But your schema doen’t exist, so my answer would be “your rule does not exist” or wrongly called. The rule I want to call is existing (see link) and I call it with the example, which (in my opinion) should work because of the optional parts and the 1:1 comparison of the words, etc.". So the question is here, why it is not working or should it work and is is perhaps because of the two word entity name or …

And of course, I gave the most specific questions, even with the link to the rule.

If perhaps only the german template is not working (or the path of calling and working with the result), it doen’t make any sense to translate them. Because then I use a rule, which is not existing or another rule, which is perhaps working but without an aswer, why this specific rule is not working. Same if you would ask someone to translate jinja2 if, then, else to another language. Then the answer would be, that it is not working, because it has to be if then else.

I appreciate your help always and here as well, but if you don’t know the rule engine, then it is ofc completely fine and perhaps another one has an idea for my example.

2 Likes

Which was why I wanted a specific example, to check the rule/intent.

As you have failed to supply one I can’t help.

This is pretty specific. What is he missing?

1 Like