YET another take on an alarm system

What Dark Sky weather sensors do you have defined? You need an apparent temperature and a summary sensor or Firefox will complain. The install instructions only list the summary sensor as being required but they both are. See the first part of my post here:

Tom
Thank you, disabled weather, in alarm.yaml and no more error, and panel displays in Firefox
Will now add temperature sensor, and test, once again thanks for the assistance.

Update: All working now, thanks for the assistance :slight_smile:

thanks to all, now working also for me.

OK,

Iā€™m proposing changing the alarm.yaml config so that each state must configure its own groups. Times can still be inherited for example:

armed_home: #Either home/away with perimeter as optional
  pending_time: 10 
  trigger_time: 600 
  immediate:  #[OPTIONAL however either an immediate or delayed group must exist]
     - binary_sensor.whatever
  delayed: #[OPTIONAL]
     - binary_sensor.whatever
  override: #[OPTIONAL]
     - binary_sensor.whatever

This would drop the current homemodeignore group too so not backwards compatible with current release

Also how about splitting pending time so that there is a pending time for arming the alarm and a separate warning time for when a device is tripped?

If someone wants to share a mockup of a super clean (mobile/reduced feature set) panel too Iā€™ll code it up

That would be awesome! Iā€™m using HADashboard with an iframe to show the alarm panel and only part of it shows without scrollingā€¦

Hi guys, Iā€™m setting up my alarm system and currently have a simple problem.
My siren goes off when the alarm is triggered in Away mode because I have alarm_triggered rule in automations.yaml.
However, when trigger_time elapses, the alarm system automatically falls back to Away mode but does not switch the siren off.
I tried to add service call switch.turn_off to the alarm_arming_away automation rule, but it didnā€™t work.
I ended up calling switch.turn_off for my siren from alarm_armed_away and it works, but I donā€™t feel thatā€™s kind of the right choice.

How it supposed to be configured properly?

And also, having read HA documentation on templating and noticing several complaints in this thread regarding automation not working, I believe there should be data_template: instead of data: in every alarm_xxx automationā€™s action.

1 Like

I think that would be a more intuitive aproach to understand the configuration.
Also, it would give more flexibility to have a pending time to armed state and a different one to trigger.

1 Like

hi, thanks for this great project! I updated all the files from github with latest files, running hassio 0.65.4 on a raspberry pi, for browsing I use safari on a mac, I get this on my log when visiting the alarm panel XXX.XXXX.XXX/local/alarm/alarm_scripts.js:38:20 TypeError: null is not an object (evaluating ā€˜main.leftā€™) any help ?

Ahh, I have not yet tested with the latest HA.

Please leave it with me

1 Like

can confirm that there is nothing like that on 0.64.3

Any entity, automation or group (groups can include automations) defined under alarm within your alarm.yaml:

alarm:

Will switch on when the alarm is triggered.

You could define your automation and add your sirens to a group then set in your config above, when the alarm resets back to armed state after the allotted time the group will switch off.

You are better off using an automation however than groups to keep things simple.

For example you could use an automation to monitor the state of alarm_control_panel which only looks at the ā€˜from_stateā€™ attribute ā€˜triggeredā€™ then switches off your siren. For examlple:

alias: '[Alarm] Resetting'
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
  action:
  - service: switch.turn_off
    entity_id: switch.siren_ground_floor_switch #Or alternatively define a group for multiple sirens
    entity_id: switch.siren_1st_floor_switch
    entity_id: switch.siren_2nd_floor_switch
2 Likes

Currently itā€™s alarm: automation.alarm_triggered
So I was right when added switch.turn_on of the siren in action section of that automation.
I think itā€™s a good idea to add a comment about it in alarm.yaml

The idea of monitoring the state of alarm_control_pane is good as well. Iā€™d rather do it like that
alias: ā€˜[Alarm] Resettingā€™
trigger:

• platform: state
    action:
  • service: switch.turn_off
    entity_id:
    • switch.siren_ground_floor_switch
    • switch.siren_1st_floor_switch
    • switch.siren_2nd_floor_switch

or use a group of sirens.

Thanks for the explanation!

Hi All

Trying to get the following automation to work, but getting an error when validateing the config file, can any throw some light on this for me.

- alias: '[Alarm] Panic Mode'
  trigger:
    - platform: state
      value_template: "{{ states.alarm_control_panel.house.attributes.panic_mode | upper }}"
      to: "ACTIVE"
  action:
    service: notify.kp
    data_template:

I am getting the following error

automation: - Invalid config for [automation]: [value_template] is an invalid option for [automation]. Check: automation->trigger->0->value_template. (See /config/configuration.yaml, line 88). Please check the docs at Automation - Home Assistant

The platform has to be ā€œtemplateā€
Use this:

- action:
  - data:
    service: notify.kp
    data_template:
  alias: '[Alarm] Panic Mode'
  condition: []
  id: 'alarmpanicmode'
  trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: '{{states.alarm_control_panel.jarvis_alarm_system.attributes.panic_mode=="ACTIVE"}}'
1 Like

@argykaraz

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi guys,

Spotted another issue, I have clock: true, in the alarm.yaml, yet the clock does not get displayed, anyone help here.

itā€™s a known feature. I found the answer earlier in this thread.
Display the clock : You also need the following in your configuration.yaml

sensor:

• platform: time_date
    display_options:
    • ā€˜timeā€™

@AhmadK
I did go through the whole thread, and just knew was missing a sensor, but this thread now is so long, I just missed it, anyway thank you.