YET another take on an alarm system

The problem is your component was restarted for some reason during being in Pending state.
Currently it causes an error on a subsequent start.
Create an issue on GitHub, it’s easy.

Hi again. I’m having a bit of trouble with the HASS custom alarm specifically when it comes to arming the alarm away using a Node Red flow. I’m hoping the community can come to the rescue.

I have an input boolean that puts my house into “away mode.” When Node Red “sees” that the away mode input boolean turns on, it makes a service call to arm the alarm away.

This is what the service call looks like in Node Red:

Unfortunately, even though the call gets sent from Node Red, it does not succeed in arming the system away.

The odd thing is that I have a similar service call setup to disarm the system when one of our family arrives home and the “home mode” input boolean kicks on. That service call works as expected. The only difference I can see is that the disarm call sends our alarm code in the data field as {“code”:“XXXX”}.

I don’t think I need to send the code with the arm away call, since the code isn’t needed to arm away.

If I use the services dev tool within HA, it builds the call like this:

I don’t think I need to include the entity id in the data field of the Node Red call, since I’ve already specified the entity. (See screenshot above).

Can anyone see what I’m missing? Thanks.

I’m not familiar with NodeRed, but here are my thoughts:

1. You need a code to disarm the alarm, don’t you? Therefore you need to send it alongside any disarm call.
  2. Home mode is not the same as Disarm. Home, Away and Perimeter are armed states. So it is technically wrong to say

or you need to add some information here.

If you call service alarm_control_panel.alarm_arm_away with entity_id: alarm_control_panel.house
it will eventually (after pending state) arm your alarm, no code required (I think it’s code to Arm, check out the panel’s options)

You didn’t show the similar service call setup, can you do that?

Is this the new Alarm look and feel?

I see we can edit themes, but mine doesn’t seem to be altering the Alarm UI:

My versions:
Home Assistant: v0.90.1
This Panel: v1.3.6
Component (Bwalarm): v1.1.3
Python: v(3,7,2,final,0)

Otherwise, my functionality seems to be working fine. I have not dived into automation just yet.

Did I miss a build step? I did not originally start with a “minimum” alarm.yaml, but then reset and restarted with the same result.

Great job gazoscalvertos!

New warning (or I just noticed):

“Integrations need to be in their own folder. Change alarm_control_panel/bwalarm.py to bwalarm/alarm_control_panel.py. This will stop working”

That was a breaking change in 0.88 I think. Have a read of the release notes. It’s easy enough to fix yourself just by renaming a file and folder.

it’s OR. search this topic

Thanks … I found the original post.

UPDATE: The custom colors are working now. A few things I did today … 1) Renamed bwalarm.py…/config/custom_components/bwalarm folder, move bwalarm.py there and rename it to alarm_control_panel.py 2) redid the automatons using the Automation UI and then (very important) TURNed them On. 3) Cleared the browser cache 4) rebooted entire system a) both routers (I have an bridged TimeMachine connected to an Xfintity router b) konnected boards c)RPI. I’ll be spending the rest of the eve correcting the crappy color choices…

Still looking for ways to configure the Alarm Panel. I liked the look the other original one. Mine does not have the sensors listed on the main keypad, etc…

I just use the dark scheme, but if you prefer… :wink:

What exactly is not right?

Did you switch that option on?

In case anyone is interested - a beta of the iOS app is now available which allows critical notifications (i.e. your alarm triggering) to bypass DND settings.

Last version errorsanyone?

[homeassistant.components.alarm_control_panel] Error while setting up platform bwalarm

Is that it?

On the sensors settings I turned on “Enable sensor Panel”. I liked the look and feel of the original design at the top of this post (might be another post), where the alarm buttons where at the top, then the keypad then the senors. I think something is going on with my CSS, Alarm and Keypad buttons are very large.

Also - I figured out the color issues: you have to “press” the circled checkbox next to the custom color for it to take effect.

Your Versions:

Home Assistant: v0.90.1

This Panel: v1.3.6

Component (Bwalarm): v1.1.3

Python: v(3,7,2,final,0)

… No “Alarm” panel issues… I have other issues, but not with this functionality.

At some point the author changed the panel’s look dramatically.

it applies to ALL options. if you change something and change something else AND then click that circled checkbox, you’ll see that first change disappear… pretty annoying until you get used to it :wink:

I have decided to stop using this component.
After upgrading to HA v0.90.x and spending a short time fixing breaking changes (in HA and in other custom components), I haven’t been able to make the latest alarm panel working.
Changing the configuration with the panel turns it unusable.
For long time it has been a simple and at the same time great panel, but the last updates (if any) have turned it into an unusable system.
Good luck fellows

1 Like

same problems here. keypad and activation buttons are too large and the panel is very difficult to use.
please help us keep this wonderful component working

1 Like

search is your friend. how about this?

Yeah…this is why I haven’t upgraded to 0.90.x… I know the alarm won’t work properly.

1 Like